Books At The Dollar Store

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Diane Lane • Nov 13, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought some books at the dollar store years ago, and enjoyed them. They often have best sellers that I guess didn't sell out, which I found surprising. I used to buy low prices books at Garden Ridge Pottery (now called At Home), and one of the ones I bought for a few dollars got me interested one of my now favorite series'.

I usually just buy specific things at dollar stores, but yesterday I had a little extra time, and happened upon the book aisle, so decided to see what they had in stock. I actually ended up buying 5 books. One was a double, because I bought it for both myself and my mom. All of the books I got were from well known, popular authors, and if I don't end up keeping the books to re-read, I'll donate them to my local library.

2. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    The Dollar Tree also offers excellent books for children, as well. I recently picked up a copy of the Christmas classic Twas the Night Before Christmas, as well as a few excellent Sesame Street board books for my son. I was surprised to see an excellent variety in terms of children's books at the Dollar Tree. Books make great holiday gifts or stocking stuffers for people of all ages!

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen the books at The Dollar Tree for both children and adults which I have purchased for gifts for my grandchildren. It is such a great gift at such a great price. I like to purchase the calendars and pens from The Dollar Store.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've found some good books in the dollar store or the pound shops in the UK. I recently found a John Grisham book (Theodore Boone hardback) and a Margaret Thatcher biography. It is hit and miss, but they buy these for auctions of job lots, so you can get lucky depending on what has been acquired. It's always worth a look, and they often have cook books which don't date.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love being able to get good deals, and you really can't go wrong paying a dollar for a book. If it's not good, you can pass it on, and maybe someone else will enjoy it more.

One of the books I bought (the one I bought two of, one for my mom and one for me) is called The Christmas Journey, by Donna VanLiere. I've never heard of her, but the book looks good. It's about the actual journey Joseph and Mary take to get to the stable, which is often where many Christmas tales start.

I tend to read a lot of mysteries and general novels, which is what the others I bought were, and they all look interesting. I'm going to start on those as soon as I finish the last two library books I'm currently reading.

@Pat@Pat Thanks for the idea. I need a calendar for my wall, and I'll get one next time I stop by the dollar store. I love the ones with really pretty pictures of scenery, or ones with cute animals.

6. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    The best book I got from the dollar store besides a basic dictionary was called Jackson Family Values. It was written by jermaine Jackson's former common law wife and mother of two children. Not only is she a decent writer but the events named were fairly recent at the time. This was more than 15 years ago but I'm sure the book can be found on Amazon.

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love the Dollar Store for kids books. I've picked up great super hero sticker books for son which provide hours of entertainment for him for only a few dollars. I also pick up crossword, word search and sudoku books. They are great for the kids to do on long trips. I've never really looked at the novels at the Dollar Store but will now. I know my school's librarian found some great animal books their bought them for our school.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am trying to not buy books right now as I have too many, and I am trying to figure out what to do with the ones I have now..but the best buy I got at Dollar Tree was Oprah's Book with Bob Greene. I don't really use it now...but the reason I think it was so awesome was because just down the street they were selling it for 26 something and I got it for a buck!

9. paleblueskies

paleblueskiesNew Member

Threads:
    I buy books from the Dollar Store all the time. I have gotten very popular books there before. They also have a wide variety of genres. If your like me. I do not like paying $20 dollars for a book. Which I have done several times, but it seems as if i have no self control. When I go to the dollar store I don't have to worry as much when it comes to over spending.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also check out the books whenever I shop at the Dollar Tree. Sometimes I can find something interesting. The Dollar Tree does have a great collection of children's book and coloring books. I really love the coloring books even though I'm an adult. I used to spend lots of my time with my niece, when she was young, coloring.

11. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never actually taken the time to look at the books at the dollar store. Now that I have read your post, I may have to the next time I am in there. I never thought they would have any authors that I would recognize and lord knows I love to look for books. That is usually the section that I look at the longest when I am in a thrift store or a yard sale depending on how many they have. Thanks for the tip.