Books or Ebooks? What's your preference?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by mbc221 • Apr 12, 2012.

1. mbc221

mbc221New Member

Threads:
    What would you get? Regular books, or ebooks? Which would you prefer?

I would usually go with Ebooks since I mostly work on a computer, so reading on the screen works for me. I can also highlight or create margin notes without actually damaging a real book, and then delete/remove those notes. There are times when holding a book is better though.

I'm curious to know what others think. What's your preference?

MBC

2. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I like reading ebooks. I have found them to be cheaper. You can even get free ebooks. You can rent them free from your library. You don't need to worry about getting it back to the library on time for a possible late fee if they are on your ereader. You can also borrow them from your friends and family. You can also get free promotional books. There are a lot of different options that are out there to get free books to read either for two weeks or forever depending on what the situation is.

3. Brendan

BrendanMember

Threads:
    I would say just regular books are fine for me. For most e-books, don't you need a Kindle or Nook or something along those lines? Well, I don't have one of those contraptions, so I can't even use e-books.

4. angeldrb

angeldrbNew Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is a tough choice since I love them both. Ebooks are definitely handy because I just need a Kindle for that; I can bring a lot of ebooks with me whereas taking a few books sure is bulky. Ebooks are also cheap and the classics are free. But, I totally love the smell of a new book. I like buying new books because I'm filling up my small library at home. When I'm reading a real book in a public place, it makes me look smarter. Haha! Anyway, I love them both! :)

5. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Call me old fashioned, but I still enjoy the feeling of grabbing a book, sitting on a couch and reading it for hours. That's different from any Kindle since you actually get to feel the paper and the smell of that book. I don't know, it just doesn't feel the same to me.

6. renmew

renmewMember

Threads:
    I truly love them both. I collect good books of all kinds, and nothing beats that. At the same time, I love it when my bff has read a good book and can send it to my Kindly app with the push of a button.

7. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    When I am in a hurry to read a book and don't want to head to the book store, I love eBooks. When I have time to head to a Barns and Noble, I love to get books there. I think I do prefer Traditional Books as apposed to eBooks, because they are more visual and I find that staring at my computer for a long period of time can give me a small headache. I think that we will always have paperback books, they are just going to start making them out of recyclable materials. Although, I can still picture an era where they change to all Ebooks from lack of space as well as convenience.

8. Sam_Green

Sam_GreenNew Member

Threads:
    Nothing beats sitting down on a warm afternoon reading a good paperback novel. I just don't get the same sensation when reading an ebook. I work all day in front of a computer screen and often go on the computer after work for personal use and so I don't like staring at a screen to read the newest Stephen King thriller. As mentioned above by katniss, ebooks do occasionally give me a headache.

9. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Books give you the thrill of turning the pages, the smell is great, you get to see the cover, feel the book and you can take it on the beach. E-books on the other hand are perfect if you want to carry many books with you, some of them are free and they definitely serve people who are in the hospital etc. But you can't carry them to the beach. It is always nice to know that you can pick what suits you best. I love books because you can also give them as presents.

10. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I have yet to read an e-book because I don't have an e-reader (I just don't feel like it's a necessary item for me now - my computer and smartphone do everything I want). I still like regular old books. I'm sure I'll jump on the iPad (or Kindle, etc.) bandwagon one of these days, but until then, I'm fine with good old fashioned books and newspapers.

11. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadowNew Member

Threads:
    I've read a lot of ebooks, but if I'm staying to much at my PC or laptop reading, even if the lighting is not that intense, I either get tired, sleepy, or my eyes start to hurt so I still prefer books. You can basically read books when you want, where you want, put a sign on it, and read another time the rest...for some reason I always forget at what page I was on a big ebook, haha.

12. vxacid

vxacidNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer books. I like the feel, texture, even the smell of books. It's something I grew up with, and something that I cannot part with. However, I do own an Amazon Kindle, and I do read magazines and (some) books on it. I like the experience, but I feel that physical books will always be superior.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love physical books. I do have a collection of ebooks, but physical books are my favorite. I also love the feel and texture of book pages. I love to turn the pages of a book. I love carrying around a book in my purse. I love dog earring the last page I've read. Three bookstores have closed in my area within the last 12 months.

14. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I just found out you can download a kindle application for your laptop, so I've only recently discovered e-books. So far, I find I am preferring the e-books. I can adjust the print if I find it too small, the books are cheaper online than the bookstore here by more than half the price most times, and I like not having to wrestle with largers books as I turn the page. I am actually considering buying a real kindle or Kobo, so it's smaller, flat, and mroe portable than my laptop.

15. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    You can read an e-book off a computer, a lap top, notebook, a pad of your choice and most smartphones. You do not need a kindle or nook etc...that is just smart marketing - they came in years later, I had been reading e-books for years before that. Just saying...since you asked.

As for me, I only read e-books, have been buying them for many years now. I refuse to buy a paper book unless it is printed on recycled paper - or on hemp or similar. It is environmentally unsustainable the way it has been done in the past. So, definitely e-books for me.

16. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly like both versions of reading material. E books are extremely versatile and easy to download and attain. However there is something so quaint about sitting in a bookstore cafe reading the night away. I definitely like to physically have a book in my hand and read them online through an e reader.

17. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    I love e books because I am able to get a new book instantly! I don't have to leave my house to get a new one! I love how easy it is to carry around and that my place is always saved. But I do love to pick up a paper book occasionally. I love to turn the pages and the feel of the book as I am getting towards the end and the thickness of the book is all on the left side now instead of the right.

18. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    I like to read real books. Looking at a screen all day, gives me headaches. Real books are great, because you can stick a paper bookmark in them. I guess I'm just old fashioned, but a book doesn't ring, need batteries, or cost a lot.

19. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I like the way you can check out an ebook from the library and it will turn itself in. Many times when I check a real book out from the library, I will get busy and forget to return it until it is long overdue. While this is a great money making setup for the library, it is not so good for me. So I really like the idea of checking out a book and not having to worry about getting it back in!

20. jrkrizco

jrkrizcoNew Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I like both. However, lately, I've been buying ebooks more frequently because I can begin reading it instantaneously. I can bookmark pages, highlight important parts and even "write" notes on the margins. They're cheaper than traditional books and I can adjust the print to my liking. I admit, though, you can't compare the power of curling up with a good book in your hands to reading on your e-reader or laptop.