Books or Ebooks? What's your preference?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by mbc221 • Apr 12, 2012.

1. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    E-books are cheaper although there is something about books that I have to have a hard copy of it. Something that I can physically hold and turn the pages gives me the whole book feel. I do have many e-books aswell as hard copy books.

2. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    Just as Jrkrizco said, I like using both. I really like having my Kindle to read fiction books but like to have paperback books for nonfiction. I am not sure why its just how I am. I hate reading ebooks on anything with a back-light as well; it just completely hurts my eyes. I prefer a regular Ereader's e-ink to the digital image of a tablet.

3. alexis712

alexis712New Member

Threads:
    E-books! They're cheap and earth-friendly. And like what the other posters before me have said, you can get some e-books for free on the Internet.
    Of course I still feel a little nostalgic when I look at my old, dog-eared, paperbacks. There's this whole experience of reading a "real" book that e-books can never replace.

4. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what the book is. If it's a fiction book, then I always enjoy reading it at the comfort of a hard copy. But if it's my school
    s text book (and Medical School textbooks are expensive, really expensive), then I prefer them in eBooks since it's cheaper.

5. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    A regular book, thank you very much.

The experience of holding a book and turning the pages is different to reading words off a screen. It just doesn't have the same genuine feeling as that of simply holding a book and reading through it.

Hard to explain, but we are always looking at screens. Sometimes, it's best to step away from electronics and do things the old fashioned way.

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    When I was much younger, I was a bookworm. I still love books but I love my money more. So now all the books I read are downloaded in pdf format. For free.

7. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    Unless it's somehow interests me greatly, nonfiction books such as study materials will always have to be on paper. Reading on the iPad tends to make me more sleepy than usual so I have to be reading a nice, stimulating and engaging book. On another note, if you're thinking about getting an iPad cause of ebook functionality, you're better of with a Kindle or the like as the digital ink just doesn't compare.

8. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    I've tried e-books, but they are not really for me. I read a lot when I go to bed, and reading on a kindle/smart phone actually affected my ability to be able to get to sleep after reading from an e-book, as my brain was wide awake, even after reading for an hour or so! Reading a book is one of my greatest pleasures and I really didn't enjoy reading on a gadget. Plus, I like to see all my lovely books lined up on my bookshelves. :D

9. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I would still go for books. Why? Because by using books, I can have full concentrations in what I am reading. When we use eBooks, of coarse we do it by using a tablet or a computer. I use my tablet to read ebooks and most of the time I play games than reading. I can't have full concentration in reading because I got teased by playing games in my tab and also update my profile on facebook and twitter. :D

10. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    I prefer e-books because:

- They are cheaper
    - You can use a search tool for finding text and copy it
    - More compact than ordinary books, no need for bookcases
    - If you want to read more books at once, you only need the reader, not to drag all of the books with you

11. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    I prefer real books over E books. I know that E books can be the least expensive option, but there are way to many distractions on a tablet. Not to mention the fact that if the battery dies, than you won't get to read anymore unless you want to stay right next to the computer reading a plugged in tablet. Something else I worry about is the possibility of accidentally deleting an E book from your computer. That is money that has gone to waste. Overall, I just prefer to stick with the old fashion paperback.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I like the physical nature of books and of course I go to a lot of book sales so I have a preference for books. I do like eBooks, however my Nook died recently so I have fallen back on books even more.

13. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    An old fashioned book on a swing with coffee and cigar is hard to beat. The texture and smell of paper alone is priceless plus the fact that you dont need a plug and worry about getting low on battery.

14. toni_777

toni_777New Member

Threads:
    I would personally take a real version of a book any day. I absolutely love books and my ideal afternoon is to grab a book, find a comfy seat and then not move for a few hours! However, I must admit that e-books are definitely a lot more convenient for when you are doing a bit of traveling as I am now, its kind of hard to drag around your favorite books when you have 3 suitcases :p I now own several e-books for the very reason that they are so convenient and I can just read them on my laptop or tablet device. That being said though, I will always prefer a real book over an e-book

15. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer paper books. Reading an eBook I have to either be sitting at my computer or on my laptop in bed or on the sofa, and the screen can often hurt my eyes if all I'm doing is reading on it. I'd prefer a book in paper form so that I can read it wherever I like and without the need of worrying that it might run out of battery or I might be interrupted by a program on my computer or something!

16. zeus02

zeus02Member

Threads:
    Exactly, Plus there is something about the smell of paper that is really addicting.
    Ebooks are or might be cheaper but the value of older books are a lot greater.

17. vidasandi

vidasandiNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer books to e-books, simply because I can read a book anywhere, take it to the park, to the pool, to the tub, to bed. but reading an e-book I have to be sitting with the heavy laptop or at my pc. I don't like a ipad reading because I have to be careful of the ipad. and I like to be carefree when i read. no headaches attached.

18. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer books. I know E-books are more convenient, but it's just something about being able to have a real book. I think it would hurt my eyes to read the e-book too much.

19. buroo

burooNew Member

Threads:
    I would prefer regular books to ebooks any day. Regular books have a sense and feel in them that make them special and unique. That is what many readers look for and I certainly enjoy it, I can't find that enjoyment in an ebook. I only read an ebook when I have to, but if the regular book is very much available then it is the first and obvious choice for me.

20. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    Books. I enjoy turning the pages and holding it in my hands. I do use ebooks though since I can have a lot more books with me on trips and don't have to choice which ones I want to take with me and which too keep at home.