Books or ebooks?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Livvy • Jul 10, 2014.

1. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    So, simple as this. Which do you prefer? The familiar, unique feel of every new book that you're reading, or do you prefer to pick up a cheap ereader and carry it around, filled with hundreds of ebooks instead?

Let the battles commence!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    E-books for me anytime. There are millions of free ebooks on the net. So though I'd prefer reading a real book I never can stop myself of taking advantage of a great deal and what can beat free? By the way I don't use e-readers either. I download a book and read it on my PC.

3. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    For the most part, I prefer ebooks. They are usually cheaper and do not take up space on my book shelf. I save the space there for my forever favorites like Harry Potter.

4. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the content. I have read books in both formats. If it is just a novel, I wouldn't mind reading it in ebook format, but actually prefer the physical format...there is something about the act of reading with a book in your hand that makes it feel more relaxing. On the other hand, for learning purposes (I study programming), I absolutely prefer e format.

5. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I like regular books more but I feel e-books are a lot more convenient as long as I have my kindle. This sucks though because I like having a collection of books on my shelf but with kids around now at least I don't have to worry about them being scribbled in..just gotta hide the kindle.

6. rubydust

rubydustNew Member

Threads:
    I'm really old school when it comes to this. For me, I only ever buy real, physical books. I'm using technology practically all day, so when I want to settle down to read a book, I like to be away from a screen.

Not only that, but I just love books - that new book smell, the way it feels in your hand, physically turning the pages.

Besides, I enjoy going to the bookshop. I like to browse the shelves, maybe choose a book to look at over a cup of coffee in the bookshop cafe. And I love the feeling of purchasing a book and carrying it home in it's little bag, excitedly anticipating getting it home to start reading.

#6Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  7. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I use both extensively and I prefer books, even though eBooks also have their merits. With books you have a unique copy for each individual book, but with ebooks you have more freedom to mark the book and take notes. But one thing I've noticed with using both versions is that I feel more satisfied when I read a physical book than when I read an eBook, I really don't know why but its been that way, so for that reason I vote physical books.

8. Emeline

EmelineNew Member

Threads:
    e-reader or hard copy? I like the convenience of e-readers. So, I guess right now that's my favorite, though I still love to hold a hard copy in my hands. The reason the e-reader is my favorite is because of the free books that are right at my fingertips. Even though many people might say go to the public library and you can check out as many hard copies as you want for free. The part I don't like is (go to). Yes, I'm like most people I want things "right now" and I can get that with the e-reader as long as I have electricity and the Internet.

9. thestoryteller1

thestoryteller1New Member

Threads:
    Both!!! And audio books along with that! It's simple- I like fiction, I like non-fiction and I like reading! I use e-books because they are more affordable and I can carry more of them with me when I go on vacation. I use audio books to listen while traveling(both for longer trips and in the bus in the city). I like the feel of print books as well, there is something unique about it. So I have a lot of those at home as well. I think there's space for all types in the world nowadays.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only buy books nowadays when I can't find an e-book version of the book that I want, so with that said I will always choose ebooks over books anytime. Why spend when you can read them for free right? The content is the same anyway. Books will only be expensive paperweight after you've stopped reading them in my opinion.

11. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer e-books nowadays, but that's just because I always have my Google Nexus 7 tablet around me and it's just more convenient than carrying 10 books with me all day. I sometimes still miss the feel of turning page after page but overall I think I've gotten used to reading on a tablet. I also like the feature of my e-book reader that tells me how long it will take for me to finish the chapter, based on my reading speed and the words left. It's convenient because I don't like stopping mid-chapter and then I'll know if I have time to start another one, or if I'd be better off closing the book.

12. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I really can't choose one over the other. I buy the majority of my books used so they are very inexpensive compared to ebooks. Plus, I like the feeling of physically turning the pages of a book and the battery never dies on a physical book.

On the other hand, as I get older, I like the ability to make the font bigger on an ereader. If you are traveling, having an ereader loaded with hundreds of books is more convenient. Another advantage is that a large physical book can be cumbersome and it starts to feel heavy when you are holding it but ereaders are very light and comfortable to hold.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm much more partial to traditional books. I'd much rather be staring at paper for long periods of time than a screen, and when I'm reading to get sleepy, it's much easier for me to hold a book than a tablet or E-reader, not to mention I could fall asleep anytime without having to worry about dropping the device if I used a book. The only time I'd favor digital devices is when i'm travelling because it's much more practical to just carry one device as opposed to multiple books since it takes up way less space.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think both platforms have their advantages.
    If I'm reading a novel or some sort story book I much prefer the physical version, it's more comfortable on the eyes and turning the pages is part of the immersiveness experience.
    However if it's something like a manual where I might need to find something specific, I love the ebook versions because I can just search for the exact thing I'm looking for.

15. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    Well, I think the benefits of having an e-reader is pretty obvious. Just like with most other technology, it offers us convenience. So I won't go into great detail about them, or expostulate against what I feel are their drawbacks. Instead, I am going to focus on the merits of physical books.

In the information age we now find ourselves in, it is easy to forget what it used to be like in the dark ages before the internet was anything more than the 1000 free hours you got on a disc in the mail from AOL. But all it takes is a power outage to be reminded quickly of how hard it was back in the stone age before smart phones. A few years back, we had an ice storm here in my area that knocked the power out city-wide for about two weeks. The only comfort I had during that time was curling up with a good book by candlelight. Not to mention, that in the blackout, things like phone books and encyclopedias were invaluable resources. Now, just imagine if this scenario were prolonged, like during a zombie apocalypse. Where are your Kindles going to get you then, huh? Bet you'll be wishing you had a real copy of The Zombie Survival Guide, won't you?

But of course disasters aren't the only times real books shine. There is something so fun and wonderful about finding a hidden treasure somewhere like a yard sale or flea market, such as the copies of No Exit and 3 Other Plays and The Stranger by Camus, both of which I picked up for $0.50. Used books are great. Sometimes you even find money in them! And it is always nice to be able to give books away to friends and family, or donate them to a library when you are done with them. Along those same lines, trading, loaning and borrowing books is something which has always been fun and promotes conversation and socializing.

And finally, just having the book is so nice. Like so many have said, physically holding the book is very comforting. Having it sit on your shelf is satisfying and again, can spark conversation with guests. "Hey, you read Clive Barker, too! Cool." And, especially for textbooks or other educational material, annotating in them can be very helpful. Not to mention, I couldn't live without my crossword puzzle books. For some reason, I just can't stand doing them on the computer. There is just something so satisfying about having one filled out in front of yo, complete.

I have gone out of my way here to focus on the positives about real books, instead of the cold, impersonal threat of eBooks. I hope I could persuade some of you to consider keeping some books around, if nothing else, at least for those rainy days when the power is out.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used both formats to read. I like the feel of the book in my hands and the turning of the pages or earmarking a page that I like. The ebook is convenient and may offer more choices, so it is hard to say which I prefer. I listen to audio books now more than actually reading as I am busy but still want to read a book also the audio book helps me stay focused when I am doing mindless data entry work.

17. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I love the portability of eBooks since I personally read many different books at one time. Carrying around all those books would just be horrible. However, if I really do enjoy a book, I get a hard copy of it. I have a collections of good books in my library that are really specially to me. Its like my own personally back up just in case technology fails us one day.

18. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I really prefer ebooks. It's really convenient to use compared to the traditional books. I use my iPhone to read ebooks, i have kindle as my ebook reader app not iBooks because Kindle is so much better in my opinion. Of course, the best thing about it is i can take it anywhere with me. I can read the books anywhere and anytime and it doesn't take up a lot space. I'm sure traditional books also has it's perks more better than ebooks, but for now, i really fail to see it. ;(

#18Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  19. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    For me it depends on what I am reading. Many ebooks are within the 5000 words range and I have no problems reading those but as for novels I do prefer the hard-copy. There is something to be said about the feel of an actual book and the excitement of turning actual paper. The ting with ebooks and as such ereaders is that hundreds of them can be kept on the device.

20. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I always have a copy of the two, but these days because of the convenience and portability of the ebooks, I prefer them over the books when I am going out. But when I am at home, I wouldn't even touch my iPad and I just immerse myself with my books. I understand more easily when I am reading with my books, unlike with my iPad. This is from my personal experience which is probably at all psychological.