Books or eBooks

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Aurora • Nov 1, 2014.

1. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    I prefer physical books, but I almost always read ebooks, mainly because of the cheaper price ebooks have.

It's a shame that ebooks don't allow to borrow or lend, though, that'd be excellent. A lot of books I have liked came from ones friends lent to me, but with ebooks, they can't do it, so I have to rely on the information I can find of the books before buying them.

2. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I read e-books because they are generally cheaper to buy. It is also convenient when you really want to read something and can't get to a store. It is also great for travel and keeping your own personal library without taking up physical space. However, if I have the choice and the opportunity to buy a real book for the same price or less, I would love to have that book, It is so nice to be able to turn the pages. I really love hardcovers.

3. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Books because I love the feel of turning a page. I find reading an eBook annoying, because i can't turn the page, lol. It's the feel and the meaning of a real book that I like. I love the covers of real hard backed books also.

4. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    I am exclusively into reading ebooks. I no longer read physical books. Where I come from, only the latest bestsellers are available. If I wanted an old book or a book from a genre that is not so popular, it is difficult to get them. Offcourse, Amazon has the books, but I see that the prices are atrociously high. I think the reason is that they just use the US book prices and add shipping charges and a bit of markup. With ebooks, I can read them anywhere, on any device and use devices interchangeably, which is a great thing for me.

5. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I love physical books, but it's not just possible for me anymore. I'm aiming to move into an apartment at some point, and I'm in the middle of trying to sell off all of my books. Mostly because they take up way too much room now. :( I'll keep my favorites, but only the very best. But, I've been buying more eBooks lately, because it's way more convenient. I can fit my entire library into my purse, when it's all on my Kindle. :D

6. rainbowfrog2

rainbowfrog2New Member

Threads:
    I am in college, and I prefer physical books. I stare at computer and phone screens all day, so having a break from that is nice. I usually get my books from the library, so it's no cost to me. When I buy my textbooks I can usually find free versions online. Of course, I am forced to buy the physical book half the time. I prefer a physical book over an online version, as it is less distracting to go on the internet.

7. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I like reading physical books. I like holding them and having access to them. I like the concept of having a book library. I do also read some ebooks that are easier to get my hands on. My favorite is a real book though. I also find them easier on my eyes, because the ebooks have the annoying glaring light that give me a headache after a while.

8. OllyFitness

OllyFitnessNew Member

Threads:
    Hard copy for me!

E-books are awesome sure, and I understand the excitement about them as it opens up reading for those who are very busy. But nothing beats the feel of a hard copy book, and the way the book wears as you make your way through it just makes it so special.

And when you finally finish the book, you can sit it on shelf as a physically achievement. Whilst an E-Book stays as a collections of zeros and ones on a hard drive somewhere.

9. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    I will always like normal books more. I love advancement, but technology is starting to take away a bit too much from us. Yes, I know all about the simplicity of ebooks and how you can have an entire library at your fingertips.

I'd rather deal with the hassle of physical books any day.

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I have collections of both books and EBooks, and they are both pretty essential to me. However, If I'll have to pick only one, of course, I will always choose real books over EBooks. I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned who still love the smell and texture of books.

11. DejiK

DejiKMember

Threads:
    I always like to own the classics or my favourites in book form. There's something romantic to me about seeing words on pages and watching the pages age as you progress through the book......those pages themselves tell part of your story as at the time you were reading the book.

For volume reading though, the ebook is great. Simple and very efficient :)

12. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Both are ok but I prefer physical books. Ebook specially when read in laptop and tablet put some strain in the eyes. On the other hand reading physical books makes you feel the emotion and the motivation used by the author more to create that book.

13. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I think the way I feel about eBooks as a replacement to physical books often changes. The way I feel about eBooks remain the same. We need eBooks to advance our strategies as writers. There is a niche market out there that would benefit from reading eBooks, and that market includes writers of eBooks themselves. I think it helps writers and would-be writers to publish their works online as eBooks.

14. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I by every single book that I want on Kindle. Ebooks are the way of the future and another reason that I like to get them is that they are a lot cheaper than having to by the physical copies which cost a lot more for shipping and all of that.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am interested in using my old cell phone as an ereader. Does the service have to be on for the phone to be able to get the downloaded books. Has anyone used an old phone for this purpose?

16. kitsiks

kitsiksNew Member

Threads:
    I love paperback books but it is a bit expensive to keep buying new ones. So I've gotten into the habit of reading the eBook version of titles I like since they're cheaper. Then I decide after if I really want to buy a physical copy of the book. I guess utilizing both is more practical for me.

17. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer to read physical books. Love touching the texture of the paper and the smell of the book. The downside indeed though is the need for space. I have my room stuffed with books and creeping into my living space. It is only right now that I am moving into the ebook space. Seeing that the ebooks are cheaper with the same content. The lights from the devices that I have needs a little adjustment so I can read as long as I can relative to the physical one.

18. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer a real book. It is all part of enjoying the reading experience for me.I have a computer that I use for work and I wouldn't dream of reading on this for pleasure. I do not own another device that would allow me to read an ebook. I don't think I would get as absorbed into a story when reading an ebook as I do with a real book in my hand. As a writer, I have written many factual ebooks for other people though.

19. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    That is to me such a weird question. A book is a book, regardless of its support. I choose a story, not a "side". These days I go for ebooks because there are tons of public domain free ebooks of classics I've never read and now enjoy (I used to go to the library for this, but I don't really am this confortable in the language of the country I live in to opt for reading classics in that language).

I love my paper books tons, too, and enjoy having them, reading them, sharing them, carrying them around. I really would not want to get rid of it even if I had the ebook versions. But on the other side, if I can have a free ebook version of Little Women or Les Trois Mousquetaires, I'm not really sure I'd go the extra mile to buy a physical version.

20. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    E-books by a long-shot. I love reading the hard-copy of a book as anyone, but I also love having access to my entire library in a much more compact way. I had stopped reading for awhile and once I got my Kindle, my love of reading came back almost instantly. I started reading for enjoyment again and loved having the ability to search for books online and download them.

That said, I love reading all books! A book is still a book, no matter how or on what device you read it.