Books or Toys?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by melapie • Aug 1, 2012.

1. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Although I do not have any children myself my girlfriend has a grandson and her niece has a one year old so I buy them presents a lot and it is normally toys as they are 4 and 1 respectively. The 4 year old is starting to enjoy his stories at bedtime so I think I'll start buying some of the books I used to enjoy as a child. Spot the Dog, Meg & Mog, etc. :)

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am purchasing now for grandchildren who are all teenagers. They want mostly games for their different gaming devices which are expensive. I will give them the money for 1/2 of the game that they want. They have to get the other half on their own if they really want that game. We go to the library a lot to get books regularly which I insist they do.

3. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    That's great to hear that he already has a favorite book! I feel that it is very important to have an equal amount or a balance between books and toys because we don't want the child to not have fun or be someone who only wants to play in their free time.

4. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    My daugther is only 7 months old but as of right now she only has books and educational toys, things that engage her motor skills and help her develop better hand-eye coordination, better response time, better color and shape disntinguishing etc. I think these are better than something she will use just the same but with no benefit such as a teddy bear or a plain ball

5. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    When my boys were little, I bought them both. But I did tend to buy them more books then toys. My kids were the types of toddlers that preferred playing in the pots and pans then playing with the latest toy. And Iam very much in to reading and I feel it is so improtant to have a good vocabulary. I wanted my kids to learn to read and enjoy it. because I feel it is so important in expanding their minds. Now that my first grandchild is on the way, we buy alot of books for her already. My son plans on making a little shelf full of books for my grandaughter. So if given the choice I think books will have a way longer, lasting impression on the kids.

6. sharjeel

sharjeelBanned

Threads:
    i am not at this stage to buying things for my kids,because i am single now:D in childhood i was given both of things some time books and some time toys,

7. marciana

marcianaMember

Threads:
    I buy books. My kids would rave in the sight of new books rather than new toys. Even at a young age, they were like that already. Whenever we are in the mall, my husband and I would pass through a toy shop and the kids won't react to it. But when we passed through a bookstore, they would beg for a few minutes, find their corner there, and browse books.

8. avadarling

avadarlingMember

Threads:
    Toys :) leave the books for school and parents!

9. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Books. I like to sit down every once in a while and pull out a book.
    Relax time is always nice.

10. MaraJadeC

MaraJadeCMember

Threads:
    Although they are young, my nieces and nephews pretty much know what they want. Some ask for books while others (esp the boys) would like toys.

11. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    I dont have kids but I have 3 niece. Whenever I visit them I always buy them toys instead of other stuff because they are just not happy if its not a toy. Since, their father, which is my older brother, dont buy them much toys because he thinks it wasnt necessary, I fill in the gap for that one. And I just dont like them to hate me. Yeah, its considered something as a bribe but I only buy them toys twice a year.

12. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I think both choices are the correct one. Children shouldn't be deprived of options, so that they can make their own choices when the time comes.

13. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do a little of both I buy my kids toys and books luckily my kids like both they really like books sometimes they prefer a book over a toy that makes me really happy lol

14. brittanyt28

brittanyt28Member

Threads:
    I think they are both good. Books are great for learning, but toys can be too. Stores sell violent toys, but it doesn't mean we have to buy them. I think as long as toys have a learning value, such as taking care of it, learning from, and hands on coordination, toys are great. They keep our kids entertained, and there is nothing better than your children's eyes lighting up at the smallest new gadget they may now own!

15. kdlt

kdltNew Member

Threads:
    Books or educational toys are the way to go! If you get them too many toys, you'll find that they get tired with them and it's a vicious cycle of spending more and more money, gathering more and more "junk", and having an unhappy kidlette to deal with. With a few educational toys that you swap out every couple of weeks, it keeps their minds engaged and slows how quickly they'll get bored with the toys. Books are a little tougher because, especially with young kids, you generally have to read with them for them to get real use out of the books. But that bonding time is invaluable!

16. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    Some toys are actually quite necessary for children's normal brain development. For instance, both little boys and girls should have a doll available to play with as that is how they model interactions with others. They should also have soft books available to them, both so they can be read to and so they can chew on them. Both are important parts of preliteracy. (Source: my mother's graduate thesis, which I typed and edited.)

17. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    Usually I buy something that can be informative but fun at the same time. Sometime kids find books too boring. Instead of giving them books, I give toys that teach them about colors, numbers or simple words that can be used for learning while having fun.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter is 15, so I either buy her books or video games. Occasionally, she wants an action figure, but she displays them for her collection and doesn't really play with them.

19. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I got lucky with my two kids the older they get the more they are starting to like books instead of toys. My kids rather pick up a book instead of a toy my daughter is 3 and my son is 2 and they have books and toys sometimes I buy them toys other times I buy books or both I buy an equal amount of both. But my daughter and son will put down any toy to have story time

20. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    I love to buy books but that's probably because I am a book addict! My kids do love to read though so that is good. I also like to buy books for my nieces and nephews too. My kids get bored with toys after just a little while, although of course they have plenty of them. But books can be read over and over again, and that's what we do. I love finding a new series for my girls to read. Right now we are loving Ivy and Bean.