Books You Are Reading Or Will Read

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by DrRipley • Oct 10, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm in the mood to read through a few books but it don't have any specific genres right now so I thought I'd just ask you guys what you were reading or what you have lined up and just pick from those recommendations. Alternatively, if you have some hidden gems that you've finished, I'd love to hear about those as well. I'm particularly interested in ones that you didn't have much expectations for but ended up being pleasantly surprised by, but anything worth recommending would be welcome. Thanks!

2. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    Right now I am reading Carrie for a book club. We seem to go straight for Stephen King every year in October. Go figure. I'm not sure what genres you like, but Defending Jacob is a really good book. It's one of those books that is hard to put down once you start. I also like Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. I didn't think I was going to like it because her books are so hyped, but I ended up really liking it.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    At the moment I'm re-reading The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I first read the book as a kid and while interesting and imaginative from a child's perspective I understood almost none from the true meaning of the book. With the mind I have now I understand that it's a book about the world and about the convoluted way we humans live in - narrated from an innocent perspective, that of a kid.

4. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I'm currently reading A Game of Thrones, it's a great book and it's interesting to see the differences between the show and the book. It can get slightly boring at times when it seems like they're not doing much more than talking, but everything in the book is important at one point or another.
    I'm also reading The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, though I only read it in small bursts, usually when I'm in the mood for some comedy.

5. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm currently reading Phantoms by Dean Koontz. I've heard alot about Koontz and so that's the reason why I picked up a copy of his book. This is the first time I've read his work and so far, it's really good. I'm halfway through the book and the story is incredibly well-written and the characters are amazing. The suspense is painful. From where I'm at in the story, i haven't seen any dull moments of the book yet because the characters are always in constant high alert since of they're lives can be taken from them anytime by some deadly unknown murderer lurking in the dark. It's really crazy i can't wait to find out who slaughtered the whole town. -.-

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    There are quite a few I would like to read. I am supposedly reading Insurgent right now, but I don't really have time and haven't read in a couple of weeks now. I would also like to get into a good classic as soon as I have the time. I have The Three Musketeers and want to read that pretty soon, but again, time is an issue here. I have to work a lot to get by and am also trying to work online for some extra money and at the end of the day there is no free time anymore.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm reading

, by Peggy Noonan. So far, it describes how Noonan's life (as journalist/writer) was shaped spiritually by Pope John Paul II.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm currently reading Haruki Murakami's short story collection entitled "Blind Woman, Sleeping Willow." It's a good read but pretty disturbing and though-provoking (typical Murakami style). I also plan to read Paper Towns when I have more time to spare. Also included in my to-be-read list are the following: Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, Makepeace Thackeray's Vanity Fair, Count of Monte Cristo and Stephen Berry's The Templar Legacy. Future goal: to read all HK books.

9. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite author is Agatha Christie. I read at least a book from her every month. Right now, I'm reading the first book in the Game of Thrones series. I must say I'm having a hard time reading through the first hundred pages. It's quite boring in my opinion. But people say it starts getting up after all the character building.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm re-reading The Hound of Death and Other Stories by Agatha Christie.

Most people know she was a great crime writer but little do they know that she also did some writing in other genres. The book is a collection of short fantasy/mystery/horror stories. Most of the stories cut through the three genres which is why I didn't say it's a collection of horror stories because not all of them are horror stories though they might [all] have elements drawn from the horror genre.

11. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Finished "The Art of Thinking Clearly" by Rolf Dobelli, which was a great read into understanding how one's presumed or assumed mentality of things, are the biggest factors to perceiving things incorrectly. I'm also reading at this moment,"The 100 Absolutely Unbreakable Laws of Business Success," by Brian Tracy - a very good guide to being a successful person. Also, I recommend reading,"The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are," by Alan Watts; very good book for people looking to understand their selves.

12. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Any Terry Pratchett book. In particular any that include Death or Samuel Vimes. Hogfather is my favourite. If you haven't read a Terry Pratchett book think Harry Potter mixed with Victorian London add a bucket load of sarcastic dry wit. Also a Death that loves cats has a granddaughter who is nanny and fills in for Father Christmas. Sound mad? It is, but thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless.
    Also a big fan of Martina Cole, who writes classic east end gangster books about the east ends criminal underworld.

Finally couldn't not mention Stephen King- Cell and Under The Dome are amazing. While both quite long they are page turners. But my favourite has to be the gunslinger series if I could I would make that mandatory reading for everybody. Masterpiece story telling.

13. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I am currently reading Letters from A Stranger. It caught my eye in the bookstore and it looks like the story will be very cliche.

14. Mrs Time

Mrs TimeNew Member

Threads:
    I am reading Escape by Carolyn Jessop . Reading about Warren Jeffs and his continuing 'leadership' of the cult makes one wonder how anyone can fall for it.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I finished William Burroughs' first two novels not too long ago - Junky and Queer. They are a pretty good window into a 40-50s seedy underground in America, if you are into that sort of thing. I'm definitely planning on reading his experimental novels next. :)

16. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    xTinx, I have also been reading Murakami lately. I just finished "Norwegian Wood", one of his most famous books. I absolutely love his style; I haven't gotten bored of it yet.
    Right now I am trying to get through "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde, since I am trying to read more of the literary classics I was supposed to read in high school. I have enjoyed most of them so far and I thought Oscar Wilde was one author I would like since a lot of people my age rave about him. However, I can't stand this book! It's really boring and the writing style is so pretentious. It is like cheesy fanfiction. He is a bit clever and funny sometimes, but I think his "wittiness" is really overrated.

17. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    There are quite a lot of books that I want to read and the list keeps on increasing every now and then. I am not sure when I will get the time to read the books as I am quite busy these days. Some of the books that I want to read are the ones written by John Green. I would also love to try out other authors.

18. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I always find reading The Little Prince, A Little Princess, and Dracula entertaining when I am bored. You can also try reading the books by Stephen King and Anne Rice. I really love these authors.

19. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Right now I'm reading the first game of thrones book. I've been wanting to read them for a while. I like the tv series a lot. I only read it on my commute so it's slow going. It is really fun to read, though! I'm glad I have the whole series to look forward to.

20. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I am currently reading "The Joy Within." It is a book about meditation and how to meditate. It is a short book, but you do have to stop a lot to do the meditation and so I am only 20 pages in. It is such a good way to relax when I spend all of my time hunting down deals. It helps me just clear my head.