Bookstore or online?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Earthmama1 • Mar 3, 2014.

1. Earthmama1

Earthmama1Member

Threads:
    Which do you prefer, going to a bookstore and getting the old fashioned hardcover book or going online to get an app and downloading your book. Or some of you may have a kindle or a book reader of some sort. Eathier way which one is better to you and why?

2. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly prefer shopping online although I do prefer having a physical product in my hands, bit of an ironic statement but its the truth. If I'm going past a bookshop I'll head in but there are just so few these days and everyone seems to be moving towards digital versions for Kindles/Kobos/eReaders it sucks!

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    As much as I'm an advocate for digital goods, I have to admit that when it comes to books, I still prefer having the physical type in my hands and also I still mostly enjoy it more to buy from a bookstore than online. For other things such as songs and movies, I do still feel a bit of nostalgia for buying and renting from actual stores, but I'm just a lot more picky when it comes to books because I still prefer to read off of paper than onscreen when I'm reading something lengthy.

4. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I wish there were digital versions of all books. It's just nice to instantly purchase and read an eBook. It is fun to browse bookstores sometimes though.

5. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It depends, if I can not find the book from my close book store, then I will have to use online stores. The normally have hard copy and also the digital copy. I will check them out and decide which one to buy.

6. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    Going to a bookstore is fun and you never know what hidden gem you'll find. It's just an enjoyable, warm experience to go to an independent bookstore and explore everything. One of my earliest memories was going to a bookstore near home called The First Edition. It was so cozy and eclectic, a relaxing little hideaway. It's sad that so many bookstores are closing down but there are also many benefits to online bookstores. It's easier to find any type of book in any genre and get a lot more relevant results. Basically in-store or online are both essential for my bookworm needs. :)

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Nothing beats a real book. I hate those e-books, I can certainly see why people use it since it's convenient but I just don't get the same feel when I'm reading from a screen.

8. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    The library is a very good third option. If you have a card at your local library, they allow you to get most books on your Kindle for few. Once the due date is up, it just disappears from your Kindle. It is very easy.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to frequent Borders and Barnes & Nobile quite regularly several years ago. The funny thing was I think I was mainly just going there to get out of the house and walk around a little - not so much because I preferred buying books in person. Often the selection they had there, despite being a big store, was still lacking for the things I was looking for. I would hang out in the coffee shop there with a few books and my laptop and just chat with my friends and people watch for the most part.

But for actually buying books, I much prefer to do that online these days since I have a far greater selection to chose from and I can find exactly what I am looking for. I hated waiting for the brick and mortar stores to "order" a book for me, then wait weeks for it to arrive.

10. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I will often go into a bookstore to "scout" for books I may enjoy. I will write these titles down and then purchase physical copies from Amazon or eBay for a fraction of the price. I have a vendetta against paying full price for anything. As for digital books, I've never been able to enjoy them, perhaps because I am reading on my laptop or phone but I just do not care for digital books, I have to have physical.

11. Guru

GuruMember

Threads:
    I download all of my books digitally now. I have had a Kindle for the past 2 years and it has been amazing. I love how I can download books without leaving the house now, and most books are often cheaper online than they are in store. I occasionally shop in bookstores, but only if a particular book isn't available online.