Borrowing From Neighbours

Discussion in Misc & Others started by littlewitch66 • Jul 11, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    Do you do this if you run out of something or do your neighbours borrow from you? When I was younger I remember this was quite common practice and my parents would nip round for a cup of sugar or a few spoonfuls of coffee and our neighbours would do the same if they ran out of something.

It doesn't seem so common now, maybe because shops are open for so much longer and we can always get our own. Do you borrow from your neighbours?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    This topic reminded me of a neighbor I had who sent her daughter to my door to borrow money. She thought it was a good idea since I was nice and well I couldn't say no to a little girl. One day I said it was enough when they borrowed several times and never paid me back. I also have my daughter and need money but they didn't consider that. I let them borrow since it was a supposed emergency but now I know they scammed me as they moved. I do borrow salt or sugar if I run out at night from the neighbors near by though and they do the same, this is rare but it still happens.

3. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I remember there was a lot of sharing and caring between neighbours when I was growing up. Borrowing a little sugar or milk or whatever it was that you had run out of was quite common. No one gave it much thought as long as you had the decency of returning the stuff at the earliest. And it was not just borrowing things, but also sharing and giving away something that you had extra. I remember that we used to share vegetables that we got a great deal on, an extra loaf of bread etc. Now that kind of camaraderie is missing, but still there are some who will not say no if you ask for help. Only thing is that, you too have to make an extra effort to be friendly with the neighbours.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    My mom only borrows stuff from family members, preferably here daughter, a neighbor, not strangers - as she is too proud. Nonetheless, she is normally happy to allow her neighbors to borrow from her - but maybe not relatives - well, you probably get the picture. Anyway, myself, I hate borrowing or begging money. I'd rather work for it if possible.

Oh, by the way, I wouldn't recommend borrowing from neighbors as a way to save money - because it causes too many social problems and eventually may not work.

#4Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is a case to case situation. Generally, I am not doing it. To tell you, we have hypocrite neighbors who look us down. They belittle us for I am just earning an average income, enough to support my family. When I am running out of money or when emergency comes, I never ever dare to approach our neighbor. I would rather talk to our Church leader and in return, we are being assisted. When we have enough it is the time that we have to donate to the Church.

6. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I tend not to lend money to people (unless it's family) as I have been burned too many times. If I let someone have sugar or milk I don't expect anything in return but I recently made the mistake of lending money to someone who seemed desperate. She was crying and said she needed the money for her children. I later found out this was a lie and she bought weed with it; I don't think she ever intended to pay it back. A hard lesson but I won't be making the same mistake again.

7. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, my mom does. She borrows coffee powder, sugar, spices, and condiments from the tenant. She also does the same. They are good friends so they even share food if they do something special. On the month ends this borrowing thing happens a lot. :)

8. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, cooked food gets gifted to us, but the borrowing of small edible items doesn't happen. Maybe since corner and convenience stores are very accessible, so you would just walk a few steps to buy them. Harwdware items like the scissors used in cutting grass get borrowed a lot though by my neighbor and even the one who is cutting our grass, since they can't afford to buy one. Or they just skimp on buying it.

9. Merissa

MerissaNew Member

Threads:
    In my family we don't ask our neighbours for anything, what happens is that most of our neighbours have gardens of fruits and vegetables, when it's time for harvest they share with everyone in the neighborhood, especially if there is a high amount of vegetation. Sometimes we even get cake as well and if we have something to offer them, we share what we have. Asking neighbors for some sugar or coffee is still something that is being practiced but I don't think it is as popular as it once was. Times have changed, people are not so friendly as they once was , there is a new generation of families now and they don't really stick to old practices.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I don't borrow from neighbors anything and I don't expect to lend either. Once a neighbor needed the laundry key, so I lent it to her, but I waited right there and she gave it back after she opened the fence like door. That's no problem if I get my key back right away, anyway I'll wait for it so I get it right back. As a whole my neighbors don't borrow and I don't borrow either. We got Marukai Wholesale Mart just half a block away from our apt. complex, so no need to borrow or lend, lucky us. (You know what, even people who are asking for donation I don't buy; I just tell them sorry I don't have money. I don't open my door for strangers.):cool:

11. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I do not borrow from the neighbors these days,but when I was growing up back in the 70s,my grandma used to live across the street -and you were sent over to pick something up as a kid at her house-sometimes even dinner. I remember she had a really fancy kind of grill back then and I would have to light the gas grill to get it started sometimes, so we could cook some hot dogs or hambugers on it. Other times you would pick up some vegetables that she got from market-days for your dinner as well.

#11Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017