Botcha – Meat From A Dead Animal

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Jan 20, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a bad practice here in some public markets – some meat vendors are selling the so called double-dead meat. That means the animal is already dead even before being butchered. It may have died of an illness or accident. Whatever the case may be, the department of health has been warning the public not to buy botcha. Yeah, it is called botcha to mean it is not healthy to be eaten. The cost of botcha is 50% cheaper than the ordinary meat. Botcha is being patronized by poor people because that is the only meat that they can afford.

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Well, a lot of times the safety would vary. For instance, something just ran over possibly isn't that bad for you. Also, we don't really know the exact illness involved in certain animal fatalities. In that case, we might truly get a good deal. Nonetheless, to be on the safe side, many people would avoid it.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    In many cases, this type of meat will not even be sold discounted. If vendors sell this at half the price of good meat, people will get suspicious. They will try to pass it off as regular meat. No matter how poor people are, they can choose to buy foods/meat that are even cheaper than a half-priced suspicious looking meat. It's not like it's the only choice left for those who are cash- strapped. Chicken meat costs half the price of pork meat so why buy double dead pork meat at half its regular price?

#3Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  4. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    OP might be from a 3rd world country because double dead meat won't be sold on a 1st world country because of FDA. Food being FDA approved though doesn't prove it is safe due to GMO feeds and antibiotics.

I love meat but I want to know where it came from that is why I raise my own meat. I raise rabbits and Quail for my meat consumption. They don't stink and they don't make noise so it is easy to raise them on a city. Also I feed them weeds from my backyard and leaves from my mulberry tree. It saves me a lot of money.

5. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    That is terrible. It may bring ailments to people because I believe even the meat is not checked by a vet. There was a similar case in my country and I believe it still exists where "mutura" vendors would use dead animals' parts. Mutura is a Kenyan delicacy that involves ground beef parts stuffed into open intestines and fried. Some people fondly call it African sausage.
    One vendor was caught butchering a dead dog. He defended himself by saying that the cost of beef had gone up so much. As much as we may want to save, human life should not be put on the risk. Not at all. That is why I vowed to never eat meat from places I suspect.

6. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of that as well, and it's against the law too to do that, so selling double-dead meat isn't very rampant in our country. I also think buyers would easily detect if the meat they bought is double-dead already based on how it looks and smells.

7. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I never heard of that before, in my opinion it is unprofessional and could effect farmers in a negative way. Depending on what farm or company the animal died at whether it is from illness or accident, people will start to assume that all animals grown at said area are unfit for consumption and that could be bad for business. That is just my two cents.

8. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't completely rule out, the fact that it's harmful to eat botcha meat. This is because, not all animals that die as a result of natural causes are as a result of disesase. When I was young and still living in my rural home, before I moved to an urban center, I ate botcha meat on several occasions and nothing serious happened as to cause alarm.

The methods to check for safety were even more crooked, since we would give a small piece of meat to a cat, and if it didn't die, it was considered safe. What I can suggest is that there is a qualified veterinary officer to check the meat before it is slaughtered and distributed to the public.

9. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I know there is a practice of selling dead meat but I don't know the exact name of it. This should be banned by the health department and government should take necessary action because it is not at all healthy even though it is cheaper. They do this in my place itself in some shops but I have a regular store where I buy meat and he is a trust worthy person because I have been buying meat from him for years and he always gives me fresh meat.

10. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    Where does this take place? I have never heard of such a thing before. Do they actually tell the customers that the meat comes from animals that might have had an illness or accident? I don't believe this is even legal.....I can't believe it hasn't been banned by the health department yet.

11. Pravish

PravishMember

Threads:
    That is terrible and I feel really sorry for the people who have to buy it because of poverty. I personally feel he government should take strict action and ban the selling of such meat and impose stringent rules for slaughter houses and the quality of meat. By consuming the meat of an animal which has died of natural causes poses a big risk of spread of diseases to the people who consume it. No matter what the cost is, the state or the country should ban such practice with immediate effect and make provisions for maintaining quality check is the slaughter houses before the meat is sold to any one in the market.

12. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard of this. But it is difficult to say whether the meat that we are buy is not from a dead animal. If you really have to eat fresh meat then go for chicken or fish. In these two cases you can be sure that the meat is fresh and is not of an already dead animal. The rest of the stuff, you just have to take it for granted that they are good. Or you can buy from the shopkeeper whom you can trust.

13. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    In my place there are people who eat animals that are dead accidently, wheile they don't eat old animals or animals dead because of disease, they don't mond eathng animals accidently kills. I have once tried the meat from a god that fell from the rock and died. The meat tasted just like meat from slaughtered animal.

14. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    There are cases where I might buy something that is double dead. I mean if it died because it was sick, I wouldn't buy the meat. But if it died because of an accident, then it's a good deal to have. But I won't be sure if it's being sold in the market of course so I would just buy such meat from people that I know. And excuse me about saying this, we aren't rich and we certainly aren't in the middle class but we can afford fresh meat. And I do know a lot of people who are extremely poor who can afford to eat meat at least twice a week.

15. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    That is absolutely horrible! It is so inhumane. Just thinking about it makes my stomach churn. Urg! Why do people even do that? This is why so many people are sick. I have cut down on my meat intake the start of this year due to medical reasons and hearing about this horrifying thing, I am so glad that I did.