Bottled water: to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Apr 2, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many times I drink bottled water just because it's more convenient to grab the bottle and drink rather than pick up a glass and open the tap (how lazy can I get, I know). I wonder if many of you are like me and in this case it might be worth to be a re-usable bottle (eventually with a filter) and that would save us something. Are you doing this?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not happy with the taste of bottled water. I've been looking into buying a filter but there are so many choices and possible problems if you buy the wrong one.

I wouldn't buy bottled water for drinking around the house. Only if I was going to take them somewhere.

3. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I am the same, I would not drink water bottles around the house. We have a filter system on our tap. It can be expensive at first, but if you're constantly buying water bottles; you'll save money. As well, filtered water is a healthier option than bottled.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Well for sparkling water you have no other choice really. I would use tap water if I had a glass crew top bottle but I don't. I actually don't frequently purchase bottled water but I will if the convenience is so great that it makes it worth it.

5. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    There are some water bottle brands that have a funny after taste to me, like Dasani (I can't stand that brand). I also heard that the plastic used by the companies isn't safe (as do they say with almost everything else in the world). But I refill my water bottle. I bought myself a stainless steal water bottle and I refill it all the time. It doesn't take too much of my time and you can save a lot of money, rather than buying bottled water all the time. You can save hundreds of dollars a year just by doing it yourself. My boyfriend has his water bottle with him all the time (his reusable one) and he just refills that instead of a glass.

6. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I like bottled water when Im on the go , but at home I have filters on my sinks where I drink my water from. Bottled water has a funny taste to it, I try to buy the expensive ones which taste no better than the ones that are not.

7. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Not to buy for me. We have great tap water in Vancouver and bottled water is actually bottled local tap water in several cases. Having a bottle of water is convenient, but there are all sorts of reusable bottles out there which will pay for themselves almost immediately. I carry two water bottles on my bike and a third in my pack if I am out in the sun exercising. I will take water with me to work so I don't need to run in to a convenience store when I am thirsty. Occasionally I do need to buy a drink as my supply runs out, but it is a very rare thing for me to do.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I agree that it's convenient, so I compromise in the middle. I do buy bottled water from time to time, but I refill the bottles and refrigerate them again.

This way, I still have a constant supply of super cold water that's easy to take on the go (better than a glass in the car or during a walk), but I'm not constantly buying water and wasting the bottles either. I do recycle them after a few uses because the bottles tend to start getting mangled.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I have refrigerated water in the summer only because in winter I don't like to drink cold water, it gives me the chills. I don't mind refilling my bottles at all, but my wife complains about the smell and the taste of the water after we refill it, so I really think I need to try some special bottles to see if that works, ultimately I will end up saving some money I think.

10. kward576

kward576New Member

Threads:
    I mainly use bottled water to pack in my lunches at work. I do have some reusable bottles and have used them when I was out of bottled water or wanted to take some tea to drink for lunch instead of water. I have refilled my water bottles too, but have never noticed a smell or taste to the water. Besides regular bottled water I love the sparkling water. I quit drinking sodas this year and drinking the sparkling water helps me get that "fizzy" drink. A local grocery store sells there brand of sparkling water in 1 liter bottles for 50 cents so it's not too terribly expensive.

11. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    Bottled water is a extreme waste of money. Just go ahead and buy a purina water filter, instead, if you want your water to be purified.

Bottled water is also pretty bad on the environment, believe it or not. All them plastic bottles are doing more harm than the supposed "good" that bottled water gives its consumers.

12. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I think the best option is to buy a filter, you end up saving in the long run.
    But if no filter is available, I'll get some bottled water, I just can't drink tap water.

13. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Most water bottles are meant for one time use. More specifically, water bottles with the #1 on the bottom. The plastic is degradable, which can affect the water.

14. AB9100

AB9100Member

Threads:
    Honestly. I do not buy bottled water.

Why would i pay somebody for something i can get out of my kitchen faucet for free? Majority of hose water companies do not purify the water they sell. You are literally paying for tap water.

Why do that when you go to Walmart, and buy a few water bottles. That way you store your own water, and you will not have to pay those companies $1 a bottle for something that is free.

It amazes me what people will pay for these days. If they just did a little research they would see that they are being taken advantage of.

15. yossup

yossupMember

Threads:
    If you live in a state with plenty of access to clean natural water like Washington then please don't waste your money on bottled water. Bottled water is actually just natural tap water; they both come from the same source. I'd only advise you to buy bottled water if you come from a state like Utah or Texas where the water is actually very dirty.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think it's a matter of principle, I had an almost parent-in-law that never bought bottled water despite being rich because he believed tap water is as good as bottled one, so no point in spending money where we don't need to, even if bottled water is really cheap.