Bottled Water Vs Tap Water

Discussion in Food & Drink started by purplepen88 • Mar 16, 2016.

1. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Are you a fan of bottled water or tap water? I personally drink tap water to save money and the environment. I bring a reusable water bottle with me every where I go so I can drink water throughout the day. I have really trying to drink more water to stay hydrated. I was getting headaches quite often but since I've started drinking more water my headaches have gone away. So what do you prefer tap or bottled water?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Much as I would prefer to drink tap water - as its way more economical.

Unfortunately - as the tap water where I am is variable to say the least and more often that not extremely dubious in terms of quality - so much so - that because it often contains high levels of nitrates, pesticides and other unmentionable contaminants - along with extremely high levels of chlorine - that make it extremely unpleasant to drink - warnings not to drink it are constantly being issued - its not really a matter of preference but more a matter of - I don't really have much option other than to buy bottled water.

In fact as it wasn't so long ago that a whole village very close to me had their water supply cut off for several months - due to the water being contaminated enough to endanger health - drinking tap water - wouldn't be a risk I'm prepared to take - just to save what would realistically speaking - only be a very small amount of money.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In 1994 when we were living in an apartment, my husband noticed that the water from the shower had an odor. He got a glass and filled it with water. Oh no, the water is brown like flood water. It was raining and maybe there was a leak in the water pipe. At the time, bottled water was very expensive. But we had no choice because health is most important to us. Since that time, we never used tap water for drinking. And even our dogs are given purified water, never tap water.

4. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Well, at the place where I live nobody drinks the water coming out of their faucets (taps). It's kind of unclean. Even though it looks okay it's no good to drink it here. Some people use special devices called "filters" to make a little bit cleaner. Speaking from my own experience, it doesn't change the whole thing much.

Bottled water is a completely different story. It's been properly purified with the use of technology. It tastes way better. I can even distinguish between some manufacturers/labels. And, most importantly, it's designed to be consumed by drinking.

So, I'd wash my body with faucet (tap) water but I will continue drinking bottled water only.

5. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    Tap water is really bad for you. During my last pregnancy, I had a pregnancy app that had an article about if it is safe to drink tap water. It said it has traces of anthrax in it. There's also been studies conducted on people to test how much lead and other horrible toxins and chemicals were in their bodies drinking tap water and there were so many. And then people wonder why they get cancer. I drink jugged water and we have natural springs. My husband says jugged water is basically the same thing, but anytime I drink tap water I get horrible headaches. I always feel just fine with jugged water. I'll go with it for the rest of my life. And I won't even use a filter for my faucet either. I just don't trust nasty tap water.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    For the past few months, we have had to drink bottled water because our water supply has been contaminated with high levels lead. We cannot drink the tap water and for a while we were told not to use it to even shower with it. Otherwise, I would just drink the tap water since it is less expensive than bottled water. However, I will continue to drink bottled water while we still live in the city where I am now.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We bought a filter so I just use that when possible. If I'm out and have to spend just for water then I don't have much choice but I try and bring the bottle home with me so I can refill it and use it again when I got out later on again. I prefer just refilling the water bottled when I can because it's cheaper. Bottled water is not that expensive but if you buy it regularly then it adds up fast.

8. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a deep well so I feel perfectly comfortable drinking tap water, but I usually get my water from the tap on the refrigerator which has already been filtered. I like tap water or water from my refrigerator because it is more economical. Who says bottled water is all that clean anyway? I know some of it comes from a city water supply.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't drink tap water, but we have purified water delivered to our home and they cost really cheap. Bottled water that's bought in the stores can get expensive, but the purified water gallons that we buy are a lot cheaper.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm in the same situation as gata montes....if I could, I would drink tap water. However, a few years ago the US government did some research into the safety of water in Botswana and their findings were beyond horrifying. Even though the water runs clear and it's clean, apparently it's heavily leaden with very harmful chemicals that are not safe for human consumption.

The Botswana government has vehemently denied those 'claims', while the US government is said to shun local water. Some local doctors have backed the American's findings, saying the danger is in the fact that we won't see short term but rather very long term damages to health! So my husband and I refuse to use tap water even for cooking. We only use it to wash and clean.

11. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Really depends on where you live.
    I am so lucky to live in Canada, we have AMAZING tap water. Very safe and very clean.
    Our government spend millions to keep it that way.
    I probably buy 5 500ml bottles of water a YEAR. Bottled water is a huge huge huge waste of money and resources.
    I have no idea how come so many of my fellow Canadians drink bottled water, it's insane bizarre behavior!
    Some people will drink a case or two of water a week!
    I just don't get it.

12. cynzcity2004

cynzcity2004New Member

Threads:
    I think drinking "tap water" is not good for your health. Sure supposedly the municipal adds chemicals but is that really good for our health? all new kinds of sickness and cancers , I DONT THINK SO

13. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Municipalities use things to clean the water and some add fluoride to help their populations oral health. There is 0 evidence that anything added to tap water has ever cause a single sickness or cancer. It's actually bottled water that you have to be careful with because in most places it's not regulated.
    The most dangerous chemical that can hide in water is actually something called dihydogen monoxide or DHMO for short.
    Bottled water typical contains more parts per million of DMHO then any other chemical! Since it's odorless, colorless and tasteless you have no idea it's in there! Despite intense public pressure the big bottled water corporations refuse to label if their product contains DHMO. The addition of this chemical is a way for the international water bottling conglomerates significantly reduce their costs, in fact in the USA alone the addition of DHMO into bottles nets these greedy people 13 billion dollars a year!
    There is just no telling what type of negative future effects this will have on people.
    Please remember this next time you reach for a bottle of water.
    I think if we all knew about this we could make a change.

I have provided a link here that expands a lot more on this dangerous chemical.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever buy any water unless I'm traveling. Otherwise when I'm home I always drink tap water because it's clean and 100% safe to drink. There some I know who go a step further to purify the tap water by filtering it. I suppose when someone has some doubts that their tap water might not be safe to drink they should have it filtered.