Boxing or MMA - which sport entertains you the most?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by lindbergh • Nov 18, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find contact sports highly entertaining. That's why I love watching boxing and MMA. During the time of Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Oscar Dela Hoya, Roy Jones Jr, and Lennox Lewis, boxing was on top of the world. But as controversies piled up, MMA emerged and surged upward. Now, MMA has a huge following and I'm one of those followers. Now, let me ask which sport entertains you more - boxing or MMA? If you were to buy a PPV, would you go with boxing or MMA?

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just watched UFC again recently, and I'm glad it's still as good as before I stopped. I'd personally prefer watching MMA over boxing, but both are okay by me. I rarely watch boxing matches if the names aren't familiar to me in some way, though, but I'd watch pretty much anyone in MMA as long as they are good, probably because I understand it a lot more.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If there would be a PPV card that would pit boxing's greats against each other and a PPV card that would pit MMAs greats, I would most definitely get the boxing PPV card. This is what I would wish to watch in that mythical PPV:
    Mayweather vs Pacquiao
    Vitali vs Wladimir
    Ward vs Carl Froch
    Sergio Martinez vs Golovkin
    Canelo Alvarez vs Miguel Cotto
    Daany Garcia vs Adrian Broner
    Mikey Garcia vs Yuriorkis Gamboa
    Donaire vs Rigondeaux

4. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    I find both sports really entertaining, but I like boxing a bit more.
    If I were to buy a PPV I'd definitely be for boxing.

5. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer boxing. MMA can really go either way depending on the day, whereas boxing is more a test of endurance and skill.

6. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    MMA is more entertaining to me. I like a bit of boxing but a general boxing match is just two guys hugging each other between a few punches. MMA can deliver entertainment even between fighters who aren't technically great but that is never the case with boxing.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I honestly don't get MMA. A lot of hyping up and trashtalking for what can be a 15 seconds match ended by one dude grabbing the other by the head is not exactly what I would qualify as fun.. but that's just me I guess. I don't understand boxing much, but it entertains me more than MMA, that's for sure. :)

8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I love MMA, I love MMA more than I love boxing, and this is primarily because I love the hype surrounding MMA fights,boxing doesn't offer that. But I do agree with you that MMA fights can be a little disappointing, such as the fight with Anderson Silva in which he broke his leg, or his first fight against Chris Weidman which saw him losing pretty fast, nevertheless, a good MMA fight in my mind, is far better than a boxing match.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As for boxing this is what also annoys me:
    There was one annoying match I watched where one fighter would throw a punch and whether it landed or not, the other guy would hug him until the ref pulled them apart. They did that continuously. And I realized all that pre-match talk about ferocious KOs was more of a joke.

That's why I'd prefer MMA over boxing.

10. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    MMA all the way!!! Big fan of contact sports since I was little. Boxing was great when Mike Tyson was still in top form. Sadly it's not that entertaining anymore. It's all about drama now. "when will we see manny and maywether fight". That's all I hear about nowadays.

11. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Without a doubt MMA has taken over in a big way. There is no killer instinct in professional boxing anymore. To steal from Rocky, nobody has that "eye of the tiger" anymore. People can't get excited to watch Mayweather simply out-point his opponent for 12 rounds. Same goes with the K brothers. They are great fighters, but there's no excitement there anymore. MMA is all about the finish, even giving bonuses for the best finishes each event in UFC.

12. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    MMA entertains me more than boxing. I just love the different techniques involve in MMA. Boxing they pretty much dance around the ring and defend the whole 12 rounds. In MMA, the fight can always go one way and then one mess up can lead to a devastating ending.

13. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    My husband prefers MMA because he says you can see a lot of skill displayed by the fighter. He does watch a bit of boxing but I see him really glued to the tube when there's and MMA match.

14. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer MMA over Boxing. I feel like MMA takes more skill since it's requires full on physical contact and you really have to be smart and skilled to be able to win a fight while Boxing, you do need both skills but it's very heavy when it comes to the rules which makes the match a little less entertaining.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of fighting sports in general. It's funny, because I actually have boxing gloves and practiced Muay Thai before! However I don't enjoy watching it on TV when it's a fight. I like the practice to learn the moves and know how to defend myself, aside from losing a lot of calories and toning your body. If I had to choose, however, it would probably be MMA.

16. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    MMA for me, specifically the UFC. I have found that other promotions are quite boring, or maybe I just haven't watched them enough. Boxing just hasn't been exciting as of late. If only every boxer was like Tyson in the ring..

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    MMA I think is better than boxing and is more entertaining to watch. Boxing is only exciting if you're really rooting for a guy but if you're watching it just for the heck of it then it's really not that entertaining to watch 2 guys barely hit each other for 12 minutes.

18. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    The first time I watched ufc back 2008 it was the spider anderson silva that made me interested to watch fights. Lately he was defeated twice thou by wiedman. The guy seem so lucky. if it wasn't because of the broken leg, he'd definitely kiss the canvass.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not really into contact sports or martial arts. But if I had to pick one from the two, I would pick boxing. I have only slightly watched the MMA, unlike boxing in which I was able to watch it every time that there is an exciting game, say when the top ranks players are fighting. So, I have already acquired a good grasp on it, unlike with the MMA, that if I would have to play only either of them, I would play boxing.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really watch either that much, but the one I'm more interested in is MMA/UFC. The only boxing related things I like are the Rocky movies and the video game, Punch Out. MMA is a bit cooler to me. Plus,, a friend of my daughter's wants to grow up to be an MMA fighter. It's dangerous, but I wish him luck.