Braces

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by ExpertAdvice • Jan 20, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Hi all! I recently went to the Orthodontist and I found that I needed braces. Which is the better of the two to get, metal or ceramic? I was told that they pretty much do the same job, but that the ceramic looks a lot better, has anyone any experience with braces? Also, how much do you think it is going to cost me to have my wisdom teeth removed, all four, I didn't get a quote and I didn't ask because I wanted to compare rates first.
    Thanks for responding!

2. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I have had experience with braces and when I had mine they were metal which didn't cause any bad problems for me. The braces were a little uncomfortable at first but then I got used to it as time went on. Personally in my opinion I think the metal is the best. About getting the wisdom teeth removed I heard that it costs $100 to $600 per tooth. I hope everything works out for you.

3. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Okay great, thanks for the information and thanks for showing a little concern. Everything will work out fine. The Orthodontist did actually say that the metal works just as fine as the ceramics does. Has anyone reading these comments had trouble with speaking after having braces put in?

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow that's a lot of work and no doubt a huge expense, ExpertAdvice! I've never had braces put in, so I wouldn't know :( I never even knew you could have ceramic ones these days! All the best with the procedures, and hope it all works out for you :)

5. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Thanks for the information and encouragement. It really does help.
    As for the issue of spacers, in the assessment that was done, no indication was given to me that I would need spacers or anything of that sort, so I'm not worried about developing a lisp in that way. That's quite an interesting phenomenon though!
    As for the fact that it's a lot of work, most definitely, it sounds that way to me as well! However, I plan to take it in stages, and to get the best cost/estimate possible for the removal of the wisdom teeth etc. It needs to be done, so it's not even an issue of whether I'll get it done, but just where can do it best, and the most affordable cost for quality work as far as I'm concerned.
    No problem that you weren't aware re: the ceramic braces as well. I only became aware of it the other day myself. I think it's more recent than the metal braces, as the metal braces were the first set to be introduced if memory serves me correctly.
    So, has anyone here ever had an extraction of their tooth/teeth? How did you feel after you got it done? How did you cope?

6. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    First of all my sympathy on having to have four wisdom teeth removed. Not only is this an extreme cost but the pain is unbearable at time. Just keep in mind that having wisdom teeth removed is having dental surgery, and like with any surgery there will be a recovery time which may not be easy. This one certainly isn't take my word on that one.

As for braces I had metal ones as teenager. They are uncomfortable at times and can be somewhat of a nuisance to have to deal with, especially when it comes to brushing your teeth. I didn't have the ceramic because they were too expensive, there also wasn't the clear ones there are today although not everyone qualifies for those from what I understand. Sorry to be such a downer about all of this but you d

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just wondering, if you only have to correct one tooth, do the braces still extend to your whole upper set of teeth or you only wear the brace on the spot that needs to be corrected?

8. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    I had metal braces and I had no problems with them, at least related to the material of the braces.

I think price would be what would define which ones to use, though. Does your budget allow you to get ceramic ones? I don't know how expensive they'd be, but I'd guess they'd still pack some financial punch.

9. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    I've had all my wisdom teeth removed and I currently have braces. The wisdom teeth extraction itself wasn't too bad because I was out for it, and I didn't remember the drive home. I had wayyy more bleeding compared to my brother who also get his taken out, but he only had 2 taken out as well. I don't think I ate solid foods/chewed for like a week so make sure you have some idea of what you can/want to eat during that time. I drank a lot of smoothies and soups. Make sure you have some gauze on hand too.

Braces, I think, are a lot worse than people make out. Depending on what age you are, most people don't really think much about it. When I first got braces, my friends made fun of me for the lisp I had but it only lasted for a few days. Once I got over the new feeling of braces, I forget that they're even there. That is to say, I had hated the thought of braces before I got them but since I needed them sometime or another, there's no point in delaying. Tell us how the braces look after you get them :p

10. brreeves

brreevesNew Member

Threads:
    When I got braces in 8th grade, I remember one of my biggest problems being the metal tearing up the inside of my mouth. I was in band and played clarinet, and had to learn to readjust my mouth position so I could play and not bleed every day. I will recommend getting dental wax, if you haven't heard of it. My orthodontist gave some to me and it saved my life. It's pliable clear wax, often mint flavored, that you can put over the metal pieces that are giving you problems.
    Eventually my mouth adjusted itself and I didn't need the wax anymore! Your mouth should adjust itself too, to make things more comfortable for you.