Brand name or custom build computers

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Canadianlover • Aug 22, 2014.

1. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    Do you use a custom built laptop or desktop computer? I own Acer netbook with a broken screen in which I plan to plug into my new TV, an ASUS laptop and a custom built desktop. If I were purchasing a computer I always buy custom build because it is cheaper to go shopping for the parts and build it yourself or buy a prebuild custom built rig. If I were to buy a gaming computer from a brand, it would probably be Alienware ir iBuyPower. I don't know how to assemble a laptop.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's almost impossible to build a custom laptop from scratch. Virtually all parts are proprietary (because companies have to work hard to get every part to fit into a given machine), and you won't be able to order them online in most cases. You'd wind up purchasing random parts and pulling parts out of other already existing laptops and then trying to make them fit into a given laptop case. It's not the easiest task, although there are guides to choosing a middle-range laptop and then customizing internal parts and upgrading them to get a more powerful machine. Starting from the ground and building up is easy with PCs and nearly impossible with laptops.

It's not that hard to get a laptop and then upgrade certain parts, though.

3. rgrimes

rgrimesNew Member

Threads:
    I currently use a Sony VAIO laptop, no custom modifications done to it. I have built my own PC as well because of the fact that brand name PCs usually contain lots of bloatware that I don't need and also the fact that they are quite overpriced.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually go for branded laptops/computers rather than custom built computers. I know that some custom built computers are really powerful but I don't know what they did with the insides of that custom built computer. I trust a brand more than a person selling a custom built computer at one no-name shop at the side of the road.

What if it was custom built by one of my friends? Well, I'd still go for a branded computer! Haha! And maybe if my computer no longer functions properly, that's the time when I'll have my computer modded.

Just so you know, I'm currently using a HP Pavilion dm1 laptop.

5. donding

dondingNew Member

Threads:
    I use my trusty ol' Dell laptop. I've never even heard of no-name businesses offering custom built laptops; desktops, yeah all the time, but not laptops. Besides, laptops are precision engineered beasts that are based on very competitive (read cutthroat) profits margins. I don't think the little guy down the street can match the business discounts that the Sonys and Dells can negotiate. Desktops, on the other hand, why let someone charge you to custom build one for you when you can do it yourself? And once you gain the confidence to build your own computer, upgrading it is a piece of cake.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our first pc was custom built, but the next one was branded. So far, since 2011 it has not really broken down or had any serious hardware problems, the RAM just needs to be cleaned once in a while when it starts to make those beeping sounds when it boots. I don't know how to assemble my own pc, so for now I will just go for the branded ones.

7. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I own a brand computer.

The biggest issue I have with custom computers is what happens when they break down. Then, you have to get an IT guy to come over and tinker away on your machine. With brand names, there's usually a fix floating around on Google somewhere or at least a warranty you can rely on. So, I rather just pay the money for a brand computer and get a few bells and whistles to suit my taste than do a custom build.

8. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    With laptops I guess brand names are the only choice. Some brands I prefer over others. I have an Acer laptop and it hasn't been very reliable. I have a custom desktop though, because it's easier to pick the individual parts you need, rather than comparing prices and specs of different pre-built computers. Customization is also fun to me. I don't think I'll ever buy a brand name desktop.

9. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I've never seen a custom built laptop but I think a custom built desktop could be much better than a brand desktop pc, because you get to choose the components that you really need. Basically what gives the computer a brand is just the case, inside the parts are all by different manufacturers.