Brand New Car Or Second Hand Car?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by roldya • Sep 13, 2017.

1. roldya

roldyaNew Member

Threads:
    For me, I personally would never buy a new car. I personally buy cars 2-3 years old with low mileage. A dealer demo or even an off lease car or even a rental car. The rental cars, although more drivers use them, are the best maintained in the industry and generally have more options. The new car looses 30% of its value in the first 18 months and about 50% in the first 3 years. Let someone else loose that money. There are many late model cars 2 to 3 years old out there that are great. An oil change every 5,000 is the same price on a new car then a used car. You can always buy an extended warranty if you buy from a dealer. Many major companies are buying late model used cars because of rising gas prices to keep their cost per mile the same so they can stay with-in budgets. This is especially true in school districts and municipal fleets around the US.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that used cars are much cheaper than a brand new one. However, the comfort and peace of mind you can get from a brand new car is worth the cost. In 2013, we bought our first brand new car, a Ford Escape worth 1.1 million pesos. A 2-year old car of the same type costs 700 pesos. You can see the big difference in the price but again, it is the feeling that our car is brand new that gives us pride, comfort and convenience plus the feeling of security.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    If I bought a brand new car I would have to use finance to be able to afford it and I prefer to pay outright. I always buy used cars and although there is always an element of risk attached I make sure it has a long MOT (yearly safety check in UK). It would be nice to have a new car but I rest better at night knowing that I don't owe any money on my older used car.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I can see the logic behind buying used, but sometimes it's just fun to buy something brand new. On top of that, there are fewer worries about things messing up, even though, probably a good used thing won't mess up. Anyway, if people always bought used things, then there wouldn't be any new things to become used. :rolleyes:

5. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    When you put it like that, it does make more sense to buy a used vehicle. The first couple of cars I owned were used and the second one lasted me over 10 years so it was a good deal. Being able to afford a new car, gives people satisfaction in their life since new cars are status symbols. My cars have low miles and I keep them in good shape so I always have good trade in values for them. It will be quite a while before I have to think about getting another car since mine is only 5 years old.

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Some women might be impressed by a new car, so that's another reason to buy one. Also, a new car is a status symbol for some. For instance, a corporate executive or an up and coming employee might want one. Is that a good thing? I suppose it depends on the situation.

7. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I wish that I could have the finances to consistently get new cars, but I have never been one to lease and I just rather look for sturdy, used cars. There is some kind of comfort in knowing that you are not the first to drive the car, but maybe that is just me.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends a lot on the need of each person (especially on the financial side). A new car would be the most appropriate choice, but I don't particularly see any problem with second-hand cars.

9. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I would never bring myself to buy second hand car when there are new ones that I can possibly afford. What is the need for buying an already used car by another person? Is it a bad thing to drive my own car as a new one? Yes I can agree that second hand cars are a bit cheaper than new ones but to me it's not enough reason for me to jump in and go for second hand ones instead of new ones.

I would rather wait and extra 2 years then get a complete cash to buy a brand new car than rush now and buy second hand car. There is this joy that comes with driving your automobile a brand new products. There is no room for developing of fault or anything of such cases for a very long time.

10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I would buy a new car, that is my dream but I cannot afford one, so all my cars that I have bought until now were from second hand. Only the financial part keeps me on buying a new car. Now I have a Chevrolet 1.4, the fuel consume is very low, the taxes are 10 dollars a year, and I took it from second hand with 3000 euros.
    I hope in one day to fulfill my dream and I will have money to buy a new car!

11. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure like everyone else (well almost everyone :)), if I had the means to, I would prefer a brand-new car. My first car was a second hand car which served me very well. It was a small cute car and I was lucky to have purchased it off a family friend. It had little or no faults. I sold it when I needed a bigger car. Personally, I don't see anything wrong in purchase of second hand cars as long as you have someone with you to guide you through the scam and gimmicks of a bad car sale.

12. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a car yet but when I do buy one I will first buy a used car in which I will practice and learn to drive efficiently and then I would buy my dream car. Plus used cars are much cheaper and I think for a starter like me it would sever the purpose.

13. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think though when you buy a used car-you should ask yourself-so can I afford to maintain and repair a used car-so you could make a case of taking on somebody else's problems with the used car purchase. I would make sure to buy a newer used car though,if you go that route because you might have to make sure you can deal with the car, that has to spend some time in the shop for repairs as well. It could take a week or so sometimes for some of the bigger repairs though ?

#13Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, in my lifetime, I bought both new and used. I like both. New cars have special deals throughout the year and it's good to get it then. Second hand cars buying is something you got to perfect...you got to be very careful about it for it's your life your putting into a little mechanical object that propels you anywhere you need to go with passengers sometimes. I know nothing about cars so I ask the person if I can bring it to my mechanic for a check, then I ask the mechanic a zillion questions, if I feel that I might buy this second hander...like speedometer is it a good number, can I be able to depend on it...etc. Then, I ask what else should I know about buying second hand with my mechanic. Then I'll ask about the other details like payment to the owner if I like the answers my mechanic tells me and I like the feel of the ride. If you got someone you can trust about asking and showing the second hand car to if you don't know about cars, and if you can get the second hand at a good price why not get it?

15. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    When I am buying a car, I always consider it as an investment. Therefore, I always buy new cars. Buying used cars will save you money initially, however, in a long run it will cost you because used cars use more fuel and you have to spend more money in maintenance. Furthermore, used cars do not havce a good resale value.

16. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see the value that second hand car brings. So it's better to have a brand new car. And it'd be even better if such car can be properly handled. Because car is a long term investment. And it's not worth it. So based on that part I can tell you that brand new car is better investment. That's how it should be as well.

17. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy used cars because I am afraid it could be stolen or the previous user have a criminal record. I know how to get good deals with buying new cars. The money you will spend with repairing a brand new car is too much of a hassle to me.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My first car was a used one but I always wanted to own a brand new car even if it was not a big luxury car. My first one was a fiat which was one of the few cars manufactured in India then and one had to queue up for delivery. Later, I never bought a used car when different international brands started their local units and cars in different size and specification were easily available.