Brand, Quality Or Price?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by gracer • Jan 12, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I go shopping, I would always look for products that are cheaper and have good quality in them. It doesn't really matter what brand as long as it fits me and my needs. I would even go to thrift stores and surplus stores most of the time because I actually find their items high in quality but not painful for my budget.

How about you guys? What is your attitude when it comes to shopping? What do you consider most when buying an item?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what I'll be using the product for. Being frugal doesn't necessarily mean buying the cheapest product you'll find. If you were to buy something cheap and it doesn't last, though you'd have saved money initially you'll spend a lot more replacing it. I always look for value/quality first. If the alternatives will last as long as the more pricier brands, I'll get the cheaper alternatives.

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I usually do not purchase brand specific items while grocery shopping or shopping for clothing. I look for good quality and a good price in the items that I purchase. The only items that I choose a specific brand for is dish soap, I always purchase Dawn dish soap because I know that it is of good quality, and a little but of it goes a long way.

I also purchase clothing at thrift stores, and while doing so, I always look for high quality brands. Many times, the more expensive brands of clothing will last longer because they are made with higher quality materials. I find this to be especially true for items with zippers, as well as men's dress shirts and jeans for the entire family.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with Denis Hard - cheaper products are not always the better option from a money saving point of view - as more often than not - its much more cost effective to pay a slightly higher price for quality - as although initially a little more expensive - it generally works out way more economical in the long term.

As for me - apart from my number one shopping priority being - to only buy what is actually needed and can be afforded - quality and value for money are always more important to me than the lowest prices - regardless of what it is that I'm buying.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I try not to base my decisions on brand but sometimes I can't help it honestly. However, most of the time the main factor for me is the price since even if I did want better quality there's not much I can do if my budget won't allow it. after looking at the price I'd compare it against the quality and see if it is worth the savings since sometimes the item just breaks down too early and you end up just having to pay twice so it's not always a good tactic.

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Quality always comes first to me, then price is a close second. Brand doesn't matter at all to me, I'm not a brand snob. So anyway, I know of my certain go-to stores for clothes already but I also rummage through flea markets or sales whenever they're around. I always look for the quality of the clothes, the softness, the stitching and the likes, before I purchase it. Then if the price is good or enough for the quality, I purchase the product.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I think looking for quality regardless of brand is the thing to do. Also, brand names are not always better,,,sometimes the clothing may be counterfeit or knock off items from China or somewhere else. I think looking at the durability of the item, sizing, zippers etc..are a better indication that brand if it is a good quality item, Some brands sold at outlet centers are made to be cheaper..and are not the same quality as those sold in high end stores.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Price and quality are the ones I look for when it comes to food, but when it comes to electronic items I always consider the brand first because well known brands are known for their quality and durability.

9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I usually discard any brand who is actually part of a monopoly or oligopoly, matter of personal principles, but when it comes to buying, I prefer quality on top, taste when applies, and then after the price.

If I can find what I'm looking for at the cheapest price being a generic brand, welcome!

However, if it's proven that an unbranded, cheap product is not really good quality, I prefer to pay a bit more for something of my liking, and yet refraining from buying brands from monopolies/oligopolies as much as possible.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right now price is my major consideration. Obviously if I don't have the money for something, i can't buy it. But, once I've narrowed the field of candidates by price, I always look for the best quality. For some items, it doesn't matter how long they will last, because I might only need it for a short duration, in which case, I will probably choose the cheapest item. It used to be that many brand names were made with higher end, better quality fabric and materials, but these days, it seems many companies, even the big names, will often skimp on quality and workmanship in order to maximize profits. To me, that is a shortsighted approach, because if I pay more, I expect better quality, workmanship and durability. If I find that's not the case, and feel my money was wasted, I will not purchase from that company again.

11. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the item. For instance, I'm not so obsessed with shaving that I would want the brand name. Instead, the dollar store brand will do. On the other hand, though, when it comes to computer software or musical instruments, I might want the top-of-the-line.

12. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    I am not into brands. In fact, I feel really good whenever I buy good quality and cheap things. It's like finding treasures. But if branded products are on sale, and i mean way low prices, that's great treasure too. I was once a thrift shop seller so I've gotten used to buying cheap.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just like you gracer, I do the same. I like quality and have seen at Channel a clutch purse selling for $5K, I passed it, lol. I shop at Walmart where prices are very good, wait for weekly sales at Walgreens, CVS and supermarket to get things it really helps stretch your budget when the things you want is on sale-saves money all the time. Safeway.com with Safeway card has money coupons this week, so it's good to get their free card and get in-store digital coupons from their site too, saving more money!

14. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    @gracer@gracer I am just like you. To me quality plus cost matters more over the brand. As long as the item of my interest suffices my needs I don't patronise over brands.

I look for durability with moderate quality stuff as I am good at using things so I am not much worried.

#14May 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  15. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    These three things are best bases of buying or shopping for the things you need personally, or for the family. Branded items practically are costly for they have already established a good product reputation and quality just follows. Therefore, brand, quality and price go hand in hand.

Thus, imitation is at stake. If you are unaware on how to detect it, you will be caught openhanded. It is easy to fake the brand name which determines its quality, its price. It is therefore, suggested that there should be a consumer's education or awareness to protect them from possible fraudulent sales of fake or imitated products.

16. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    I have to take all three into consideration when shopping. I like to have branded items but I won't pay extremely stupid prices. For example, my shoes, I won't buy anything other than Nike or Adidas. The average price for my shoes are around £100 and I think that's a decent price for a pair of branded shoes. I like my clothes to be branded as well but I will go for cheaper alternatives if I have to. Quality is an extremely important factor but I don't think I have to worry about it because most branded items will be in perfect condition and won't have any quality problems

17. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think quality is the most important consideration for me when I am shopping. I do love to get a good price, but I don't want to buy something only because it's cheap, if it's not good.

Some high end brands offer good quality. Others often charge a lot just for their name, even if their products aren't any better quality than typical finds. Low end stuff can be okay, but a lot of it is junk. It seems like the best place to look is right smack in the middle. Good quality, at a good price.

I can skip the frills and the fancy packaging or fancy name. I just want good stuff, and I want a good deal. Educating ourselves so we know what things should cost goes a long way to getting the most for our shopping dollars.

18. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I always want to strike a good balance between price and quality. I'm willing to pay a bit more for items that have to be both durable and fashionable like shoes and for items that only the proven brands can satisfy me like TV or computer.

For most other items, I buy store brands or generic brands as long as their quality is good enough for my needs. I also consider the reputation of the manufacturer, if applicable. For instance, I'm using an inexpensive dishwashing liquid manufactured by a local company which is also manufacturing a popular local toothpaste brand. It's as effective as the leading brands but only cost half as much.

19. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    My first priority will be for quality. I will never sacrifice quality over price. Even if the price for a certain product that I am looking for is a bit high but the quality is awesome then I would pay the price and buy it. The brand doesn't matter as long as I get a quality product. :)

20. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on which product i'm considering buying as i believe on certain occasions well established brands do offer far better products than the other brands but at a higher price. But i do actually go for cheaper products if i feel that the item i'll purchase will be enough for my needs.