Brands You Avoid

Discussion in Misc & Others started by DrRipley • Oct 3, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    About a decade ago, I received a Samsung MP3 player that functioned awfully. So much so that it was so difficult to navigate and it even broke down on me twice in the one year that I used it. The second time I didn't even bother getting it repaired under warranty anymore because it just wasn't worth the trip and the wait. This was around the time iPod Nano was already out and I really wanted that instead but unfortunately for me I received the crappier brand. That said, it's why I have been traumatized by this brand and company and although I'm sure they have stepped up their game in the recent years judging by the amount of attention they are getting, I still irrationally avoid their products.

Do you have any similar experiences that made you avoid certain brands, whether rationally or irrationally?

2. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I now actively avoid ATI video cards, I used to buy them because they were slightly more powerful than the NVIDIA ones, but after a year or so I'd always have trouble with them, they would overheat, make lots of noise or just plain stop working.
    After I made the switch to NVIDIA I never had any more problems, they last until I replace them for something better.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only brand I can think of that I avoid would be HP. I have a HP printer and that is okay but I would never trust an HP computer. A teacher I had in high school had one and she always seemed to have problems with it.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like Coke and Sprite. I prefer Pepsi and 7Up. I just dislike how Coke tastes in your mouth. It makes me close my eyes. Too strong, I guess. Also, A4Tech earphones don't sound that good to me.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only experience I have is growing up to witness the big changes in business and technology. Once upon a time, things were made with the best materials and lasted a life time. Now, if you have a big name, it's synonymous with cheaply made products to get the most money out of them as possible. It's willingly making disposable products so your customers will continuously come back. Then there's sweat shops and oh my gawd, the world is going nutty. So in short, I try my best to avoid all big names. I don't like what they stand for and I don't want to contribute to it. That includes big name stores, not just products. Sometimes you can't avoid it, it's almost impossible now, but I do my best.

6. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    First brand that came to mind was Apple. I don't know but I have always considered their products to be overpriced. I haven't owned a single Apple product ever so I can't really tell if their products are really "premium" or not. I'm happy with my Windows machine and Android device, though.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the first thing that came to my mind was food when I read the title of this article, but that's not what anyone else is talking about, so I'll spice things up here.

I avoid most Safeway Select foods because I have been disappointed if not totally grossed out so many times. Their gelato is Horrible, I threw it away, could not get it down. Their frozen California mix vegetables tastes like they were grown is very depleted soil and have no flavor and probably no nutrients to speak of. Some of their foods are OK, like the sesame rice crackers, but in general, I avoid their store brand products unless I find out from someone else that that particular one is actually OK.

8. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I avoid store brand coca colas. The taste inside their cans are so displeasing to my palate. It makes me cringe and it is why I never touch them again. Coca Cola has probably done it's job by setting a high standard. The drinks are unhealthy, but they are worth it. I also avoid shoes from a company without a story. If I can feel that it is a good product and with some research on their brand, it may influence my decision to buy the product.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a number of brands I try to avoid and forgive me if I tend to offend sensibilities, but if I buy a gadget (and this is very important to me), I see to it that it's not made from China (not necessarily Taiwan). Products like Lenovo and Huawei have high radiation content compared to Samsung, Apple, Nokia, etc. I am also not confident about their longevity.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I forgot about Huawei. I only have the one experience with it but I'm not sure if I trust them after this craptastic phone.

11. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I had the same experience with the Sanso. At first it was great but then everything broke on it. I was so sad because I had gotten it to take on a two year trip and so really needed it for where I was going. Then my husband got a Nano and I inherited a Chinese-imported product that was supposed to be an Apple knock off. So far its okay. The buttons get a little stuck, but at least I have music again that I can be mobile with. I really did like that Sanso though so I'm sad it broke and couldn't be fixed. I could watch movies on it. This one has a weird video code that I would need to convert in, and I can't find it online how to do it so no more videos. I don't think I would buy Sanso again though. I have since looked online and there aren't too many for sale 2nd hand, so I'm thinking they have all broken.

12. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    The one brand I avoid is Beats by Dr Dre, it's such an overpriced product for the mediocre quality the products have. Now, I use overpriced things, like Apple products for example, but at least you're getting great quality for your money. Beats, on the other hand, has headphones that cost $250 that have the sound quality of a pair of $30 Sennheiser, it's simply ridiculous.