Breakfast: bread or cereals?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Mar 11, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What do you prefer having for breakfast, bread or cereals? Why do you do it? Do you think one is healthier than the other, cheaper, faster to eat?

2. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    I personally prefer brown bread as my favorite breakfast as it is a healthier one and a bit tastier for me when compared to oats which I take less often. I try oats only once a week because of the only reason that I don't like it. Besides this oats are very good for our health and do have many benefits. A cup is only 130 calories! It also stays in your stomach longer, making you feel full longer. You will have less hunger and cravings. It’s on the short list for the highest protein and fiber levels of any grain.

3. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    I eat cereal everyday for breakfast. I get the generic brands, too. Although I have plenty of friends who think that it doesn't taste as good as the boxed (more expensive) cereal, I really don't taste the difference :D

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I used to eat cereals daily for breakfast some years ago, but then I had to stop because the cow milk was damaging my health and I never manage to get accustomed to soy milk with cereals, it was totally yucky for my taste. So I eat mainly bread and juice these days.

5. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer cereal. Simply because it is easier, and quicker to make. Bread is to heavy to put on my stomach in the morning. Although cereal does upset my stomach often. I think it is worth that it.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I start my day with quinoa porridge and almond milk. I don't buy any of those common breakfast cereal boxes from the supermarket. They are usually full of sugar and preservatives. Sometimes I have Ryvita with avocado or sesame butter, but never a heavy type of bread. Generally I need something warm and light in the morning. I always wonder about how those slices of bacon and eggs sit in the stomach of the people I sometimes see in cafes.

#6Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  7. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I don't eat breakfast everyday but when I to I prefer eggs and hash browns and some toast. My kids can eat cereal for all three meals of the day if I let them, an snacks in between. I do also like yogurt with bran in it.

8. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Both: bread to be put in the toaster and cereals to be mixed with milk. Since I leave home at 7am and return at 7pm, a generous breakfast is needed, to keep my stomach busy until lunch break

9. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a grown man, but I still love sugary cereals. I just bought a new one to try, Hershey's Cookies and Cream, which is okay.

I love Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Captain Crunch, etc. I have toast with peanut butter sometimes.

10. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Cereal - usually oatmeal for me. I find bread is a bit overfilling, but doesn't give me the energy I need from my breakfast. I will eat some cold cereals as well.

11. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Haven't had cereals in years.. I should start again though since they are good, fast and easy. Nowadays I normally just skip breakfast though and eat a large lunch instead. But if I do have something then it's either fruit or bread with some meat, cheese and vegetables on it.

I'm very bad when it comes to keeping a regular rhythm with my meals. I eat what I feel like eating when I feel like eating it, and that's about it. So breakfast could really be anything, but more often than not it's just coffee and a couple of slices of bread.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat oatmeal or whole grain cereal with yogurt. I am not a big bread eater, when I do eat bread it is whole wheat bread.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Oatmeal are not popular in my country, I think they are very popular in the US right? I suppose they are very healthy or else you guys wouldn't be eating it, but do they taste good? The way they look is not very attractive...

14. DebValentine

DebValentineNew Member

Threads:
    Breakfast has never been my favorite, especially breakfast foods for breakfast. But when in doubt, grab a poptart. Cereal is a great one too. But breads are a no go so early for me. I wake up at 5:30 so heavy doesn't really work for me. Lol

15. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I usually alternate bread and cereals. Bread would be for days when I feel like eating something slightly salty and cereal would be what I would have when I want something sweet and fruity. I like putting fruits like blueberry and raspberry on my cereal. Also, most of the time, I prefer using yogurt instead of milk, because it tastes better and it does not make my cereal too soggy to eat.

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Alternating is a good option because our body needs different foods, not every single day the same thing. As I don't eat cereals often I change the type of bread I eat, so even though I am eating bread it's different every day.

17. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big breakfast person. I don't like eating a lot of food first thing after waking up, and I think in general, breakfast food is not very tasty. It's just not my favorite thing. I'm really bad about eating the "right" foods at the "right" time of day. I just eat what I want when I feel like it.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is not the healthiest option in my opinion casey, but if it works for you, who am I to criticise. When I was younger I also ate anything at anytime of the day, but being at my thirties I am feeling the need to take better care of my body. ;)

19. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    I depends on how I am feeling leading up to breakfast. If i'm feeling for something sweet, I will go for the cereal, Apple Jacks, Fruity Loops, Frosted flakes or Captain Crunch are the ones in my house. If I want something to hold me for a good while then I will go for bread with some tea or something

20. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    Both are unhealthy to be eaten as breakfast due to the fact that they are carb-based, but they are still and will probably continue to be very popular breakfast options.

I'd go for a healthy alternative cereal rather than healthy bread because cereal is a favorite of mine and I will always love it. For me to like bread, it must have some kind of flavoring or something flavorful put into it. I can't eat it alone. But when putting jelly or something into bread, that just adds on to more calories and sugars. I try to stay away from bread, but it's hard because I love spanish bread and they sell the best ones in my village.