Bred Animals For Money?

Discussion in Pets started by Tina122321 • Mar 12, 2016.

1. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    Have you ever bred animals in order to make money? What type did you breed? How much money did you make? How hard was it?

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bred them myself, but my sister has done it before. She and her boyfriend bred pit bulls and would sell them. They did this a few times and I think she has had another litter to sell just recently. I do not know exactly how much she got for them though. I think the hard part would be taking care of the puppies until they are ready to be sold. At least, that would be my guess.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My brother-in-law had attempted breeding for money. They have a female shih tzu that they had mated with a paid stud. Their female dog had 6 litters which they immediately put up for sale at 2 months old. But there were no buyers until the puppies were 6 months old which was already past the selling age. Now they have 7 dogs because of the failed sale. It was really a sad business story.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried breeding dogs for money but I have know some people who do it. I really don't know how much money they are able to gain but for me, this business needs patience to wait for ROI because you still have to wait for your puppies to grow until such time that they're ready to be sold. Plus, as what @morgoodie@morgoodie said, it would be hard to part with your puppies after taking care of them for how many months. I'm emotional when it comes to pets so I think breeding dogs for money isn't for me. :)

5. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well that seems a little strange to me, but that is just me. I do not know enough about animals enough to do that either, so it is best left to other people. I just know that I love my little guys and all the pets that I have ever had, and that is enough for me. I would feel strange getting a profit from them.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to raise and sell puppies as a hobby breeder, and I enjoyed it a lot, and made extra money from doing something that I loved. I think that you would have to have a large kennel if you were going to make enough money to support yourself by raising puppies; but as just a hobby that pays for itself and brings in some extra cash, it worked great.
    I raised several designer breeds, Yorkie-poos, Shorkies (Shih-tzu/Yorkie), and also Malti-poos. they were all very small puppies, and sold well. I started advertising as soon as the puppies were born, and usually had them all sold by the time they were old enough to wean from the mother.
    It does take a lot of work. the dogs and puppies all have to be cared for and groomed, you have to advertise the pups, and show them to prospective buyers.
    It was such a wonderful experience watching a happy family go home with their new puppy in their arms !

image.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Bearing in mind that animals are living breathing creatures - not a commodity.

Absolutely never could I do this - as unless breeding animals to prevent an endangered species from becoming extinct - producing animals either to make a profit or to obtain a certain “look” or characteristic - is not only totally irresponsible - especially considering that there are literally millions and millions of animals abandoned daily - who more often than not land up dying in animal shelters and pounds - as there aren't enough forever homes to cater for them all - but also extremely cruel - as apart from the severe health problems and life-threatening genetic defects that many “ purebred ” animals suffer - as a result of humans manipulating their physical appearance to conform to their own standards - rearing animals solely as a means of producing “ babies “ for profit - is not exactly what could - by any stretch of the imagination - ever be described as loving and respecting animals.

To be honest - there are an abundance of much more humane ways of making money - than having to resort to selling baby animals for cash.

8. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I view breeding animals for money purposes unethical. But that's just my opinion. Considering how many animals fill shelters for abandoned animals, and are being destroyed as these pounds don't receive any funding from the government, it's a disgrace to see people paying high prices to get their "prized breed". I understand that's the world we live in. If you need a $1000 pure bred dog instead of a homeless creature of mixed origin from a shelter, than that's your personal choice. It wouldn't be mine. :)

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried breeding pets for money yet, but we have recently bought a purebreed dog from a backyard breeder. The transaction went well, and my dad was even able to get a discount by haggling. I think buying from backyard breeders is quite cheaper than buying a purebreed one from a pet shop, never mind if there are no papers.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A number of people I know tried to breed animals for cash but their businesses failed. Finding customers for pets isn't easy and all the money you'll have spent feeding the pets will have been wasted. Unless they are pets which also save you some money like chickens for example, it would be advisable to leave breeding to breeders.

11. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have never bred dog for money. However, I have known of quite a few persons who have done this type of activity. The ones who succeeded at this venture have made a tidy sum from the business because they have been able to sell the puppies for a considerable sum of money. However from what I have gathered, its really takes a bit of effort to have the pups bread in the right order to make good money.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    It takes so much work and you have to pay for food, water and pick up poop. The saddest is when the animals are sick or they come out deformed from too much breeding. I wouldn't breed for money. I'd rather just get a job. There are too many pets on this planet anyway.

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried breeding pets for money but i have a friend who does. He breeds huskies, the little things are so adorable with their different eye colors. He said it's an easy money, he's able to sell the puppies a few weeks after they were born. It cost a few hundred dollars for a puppy.

14. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have bred rabbits for cash when I was in primary school. I used to wake up early in the morning to breastfeed the litter as they have to be assisted due to the fact that they are born blind. Rabbits are prolific breeders and grow quickly and they don't have an expensive outlay in terms of feeds. I usually sold them in the village and consumed some during the weekends. The enterprise came to a halt when a predator attacked them at night after accessing their hutch.