Brew Your Own Coffee To Save Money

Discussion in Food & Drink started by davos • May 12, 2016.

1. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Brew your own coffee is not only quite simple and pleasant to do, but also helps you save a relatively high amount of money regardless where you live. You only need a decent coffee brewer and a package of grinded coffee grains (or a coffee grinder if you buy grains).

Let's take a look at numbers. A gimmicky Starbucks, tim horton or any store coffee cup will cost you at least 1,5$. If you drink two store coffee cups every day you will be spending more than 1000$ only in coffee every year. A home brewed only coffee cup will cost you as much 0,3 $ per cup, so obviously you're saving a lot of money with brewing your own coffee. You can add milk, honey, chocolate and is still cheaper to drink your brewed stuff every day!.

2. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Coffee that I get at Starbucks or Dunkin' (our top two coffee competitors here) costs me about $3 a cup. Plus, the lines are long all the time. There's no way I am wasting time and money to do this every day. I barely do it occasionally because of the high prices and bad service. I think as consumers our laziness has made a lot of people rich. Doesn't anyone cook or brew their own coffee anymore?

3. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I recently started doing this! Such a good idea, you start "saving" money within a couple of weeks, depending on how much the coffee brewer and how much you used to spend. Mine was a gift too, so it's just been all savings. I would encourage any money crunched coffee drinker to do the same.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We actually brew coffee at times when there are coffee grounds at home, and it does save you some money, although I don't really like how it tastes. I prefer to just drink instant coffee, the one that is 3 in 1 in sachets.

5. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have just become a fan of coffee after many years of drinking tea. I am not a coffee snob at all and even enjoy instant coffee. I have a hard time paying for coffee at Tim Horton's or Starbucks when you can make your own at home and take it with you. I find I just have to be more organized and then I always have a coffee to go. I have recently discovered International coffee whitener - French Vanilla flavour. When I add this to my instant coffee and a teaspoon of sugar you get a close tasting drink to a Tim Horton's French vanilla cappuccino and pennies a cup. I also like to take the Nescafe sweet and creamy instant coffee to work. It's handy and so much cheaper than buying the pods. It is definitely a money saver to make and take your own coffees.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me if this is a segue. We don't drink coffee in the house but sometimes we do on occasion.

But this story is about my sister who is a wise acre when it comes to freebies. Whenever we would have breakfast in a classy restaurant, she would always check the breakfast drinks and almost always there was the tray of instant coffee packets. You can guess that my sister would pick up some coffee packets particularly the 3-in-1 since it is a complete drink, she said. And when we leave the restaurant, she would have around 15 to 20 packets of coffee plus packets of sugar to boot.

7. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Here in the province where I'm from, coffee trees are abundant. My aunt has a coffee tree in the yard that her mother used to harvest from when she was still alive. She would lay them down on an old sack on the ground to dry them under the sun. The elderly have been doing it for ages and until now I still see the practice of drying coffee beans manually. The province of Batangas is not just known for the butterfly knife but because of the coffee that we manually process.