Brita vs. Bottled Water

Discussion in Food & Drink started by andrew320 • Jan 28, 2013.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I personally think buying a Brita water filter is better and more economical than buying boxes of bottled water.

Here, we can get 24 500ml bottles of water for $1.99 (sometimes $0.99), while a Brita cooler and filter costs $20 (plus $8 every two or three months for a new filter).

I could go through the bottles of water in just a few days because I like to get my necessary intake of water. It seems it would cost more in the end. What do you think?

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    The tap water in my home is very good. Fortunately I live in a city where drinking water has very low levels of contamination, because it is extracted from virgin fountains. I don't like bottled water, I feel that have an artificial taste. For that reason, I consider that water filters are a very viable option. The taste is more natural and is a more comfortable system. Similarly, as you point out, the cost savings is quite substantial. The water filtration systems are one of the few ways we ensure that our drinking water is pure and not contaminated. The carbon cartridge, the main component of the water filter should be changed according to the manufacturer's recommendations, usually depends on the level of use it is put to. Change it regularly is important to ensure that the water filter function effectively and that's perhaps the only regular cost of this system.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The filter system is also better for the environment! We have filtered water because it tastes much better. We also have our own "to-go" cups so we don't have a need to buy bottled water. I think the last time I bought one was years ago when we were travelling and got one when we stopped for gas because I was very thirsty. I do think that overall, you do save a lot more money going with a filter system versus buying bottled water all the time.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I use Brita filtered water all the time - I have done for years. Also, the filters are good for much longer than the recommended time. I only ever buy bottled water if I have to. I usually keep some in the freezer, because then it thaws gradually and stays cool for hours. Apart from the cost consideration, plastic water bottles are bad for the environment.

5. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I agree, Brita is more economical and environmentally friendly. I use Brita water filter at home and sometimes I bottled the water. Brita water filter is more affordable and it helps to minimize the amount of waste I am contributing to the environment. I drink a lot of water and in the past I did purchase bottled water.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I think the whole bottled water craze is a little ridiculous. I understand that it's convenient to take water with you if you know you're going to be out for a while, but the price is ridiculous. Especially considering that most bottled water comes from municipal taps (or so I'm told). I never buy bottled water. If I need to carry water around, I'll fill up a canteen from the tap. Filters are good if you're concerned about the quality of your tap water, but buying bottled is just silly.

7. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I think Brita is always the best choice from the two because Brita is known for its quality and its amazing filtering system. I love reusing the water bottles I buy from Brita because they have a little filter in them. I always feel I am getting the best quality water when I use it as well.

8. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    If you don't have to bring bottled water, then why not use Brita filter water? Economical and environment friendly.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy the Brita filters both for my tap and I had the Brita bottle in my fridge. To be honest, I didn't feel that the taste difference was all that significant to warrant the trouble and costs. For a while I ditched them and just bought a few metal sports bottles and kept them on hand filled with cold water, which worked fine.

Last year I broke down and bought a Zero Water system out of curiosity, and I will say, you can *definitely* taste the difference in it. It comes with a little electronic sensor so you can tell how much it has filtered out - and it's not a gimmick at all, it basically tastes like distilled water. The drawback is the filtering process is pretty slow, so it takes about 30 min or more to fill up one of those big containers.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy a lot of bottled water. I'm on the go a lot and it's easy to carry a bottle. When I learned about the damage all that plastic is creating, I bought a reusable BPA free bottle to carry around regular water. I only buy bottle water in a pinch.

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I buy neither... because there is nothing wrong with tap water - at least not in my town.

12. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't drink water from plastic bottles because of the BPA issue. I am sure BPA causes harm and there are studies which back this up. I would consider buying a water filter for my tap but they are quite expensive and it's not high on my list of priorities at the moment.