Brita Water Bottle

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ReadWriteLearnLove • Apr 13, 2015.

1. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I love having a bottle of water with me throughout the day, but don't like to always have the plastic disposable bottles for several reasons: it gets pricy buying bottled water, and they create a lot of unnecessary waste. I picked up a Brita water bottle at Target. It was around $20, holds 38 ounces of water, and has a filter that is designed to filter out or reduce chlorine that is commonly present in tap water.

All-in-all, it's an okay product. Because of the filtering system, it sometimes feels like I'm trying to get an extra-thick shake through the straw when it really is only water, and because of the filter (I'm assuming) and the pressure created by the water trying to make it's way up through the filter and the straw, there's sometimes a creaky, squeak-like sound when I'm drinking. I don't notice a difference in the taste of the water using the filter, but maybe deep in my Psyche I believe it's working for the better good of my health! I still use the bottle almost daily. It's an easier way to get my water intake because I fill it up and carry it with me. The biggest downside is that the design of the bottle makes it larger than the cup holders in my car, so I use it more when I'm walking places and hesitate to use it when I'm driving around a lot.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Brita water bottles are all right, but all of them suffer from the safe problem if they filter the water as you suck through the opening. You're going to have to struggle to get the water out, and then it's often a hassle. On the other hand, some filter water bottles filter through as they drain into the bottle, which is far more convenient and easy to use.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just reuse the same 500 ml water bottle, filling it with water from the filter jug at home. The "proper" bottles are too cumbersome and difficult to use. I won one in a prize draw around a year ago and whilst I was initially delighted to receive it, it quickly became apparent that it was just too bulky for me.

4. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have used the Brita water pitcher for years, and I love the difference it makes in the taste of the water. I was wondering about the bottle. I couldn't decide if it was worth buying since I already have the pitcher. It sounds like its a lot more convienant if you are out and about. The pitcher takes a little while to filter the water, though. Is that an issue with the bottle?

5. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't take long because it doesn't actually filter the water until you drink from it, so the water is filtered as it travels up the drinking straw. That's why, I think, it makes the weird sound and also why it takes a little more sucking (like drinking a thick shake) to get the water out. I don't notice a difference in taste, but the water I put in the bottle to begin with is already filtered too since I get it out of the water dispenser on my refrigerator. Apparently the only thing this water bottle filters out is the chlorine that some cities add to their water. I find myself only using the bottle around the house now, because it's too bulky to have in the car with me (doesn't fit in my cup holders). Possibly the smaller sizes might be more conducive to being out and about.

6. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I just need it small enough to fit in my bag. The effort behind getting it through the straw puts me off a little bit, to be honest with you. I'd rather just pour it out of my water pitcher by the sounds of it.inhave well water, so chlorine is the least of my worries, lol. Especially when they start blasting at the quarry. Imagine your water smling like dead fish. A really good filter is just a part of life around here, lol

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You should check out the Zero Water brand filter, it's seriously like night and day better tasting when compared to Brita or Pur filters - which I never really noticed that much of a difference in taste from the water filtered through their units, personally. The one down side though is the Zero Water filter is slower to filter the water, but that's mainly because it's doing it's job better.

I have the large tank with the spout at the bottom. I just make it a habit to pour some more water into it on the top, any time I take a glass or two out of it, so it always stays full. But you could pick up a few metal or plastic reusable water bottles and just fill them with the clean Zero Water water, to have them on hand so you can grab them on the go.

I suppose another option would be to just buy some jugs of distilled water at your dollar store, or the large dispenser size jugs of the spring water, which seem to be a little cheaper than buying packs of bottles, and fill your own bottles.