Broken Lcd

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Jamille • Dec 26, 2016.

1. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    My laptop's lcd was broken a few days ago. I've used the laptop for 2 1/2 years and I am in a quandary. Should I have it replaced by a new lcd for which I was quoted the equivalent of $100 (inclusive of installation) or should I just hook it to an external lcd/led monitor until I'm able to exhaust the laptop to its last drop of usefulness? I felt that $100 is too high a price for an lcd and that my laptop might just give up on me in less than a year's time even if I do decide to replace the broken lcd. On the other hand, connecting it to a monitor will mean loss of portability. Is it reasonable to make a major repair like lcd replacement on a basic laptop that's 2.5 years old?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That $100 for the LCD replacement is exorbitant. Maybe you can check some other repair shops for a better price. I guess you can use your laptop temporarily by hooking it to a monitor. But why do you think that your laptop will last for only a year? If that is my laptop then I would probably have the lcd replaced and make use of it for at least 2 years.

3. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    That's a bit of an insane price they are charging you. You can just hook up a monitor to the laptop but if the portability would be a big issue, they you have no other choice but to have it changed. You might want to check out some shops for that problem, if I know your location I might be able to refer a good tech to you.

4. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I guess you should check for other shops or technicians that can offer you a lower price since that amount for an LCD is too much. It depends on you if you would like to have it repaired or just use an external monitor instead. But if you're planning to use it long term or you don't have any plans of purchasing a new laptop sooner, and if you're out most of the time and would like to have your laptop handy, then I think it's best to have your LCD repaired, but be sure to canvas for lower prices before purchasing one :)

5. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    My laptop has the most basic specs -2GB DDR3 Memory, 500GB HD, HD Graphics, 2.41 GHz processor. I bought it for $375 and a brand new laptop of the same specs/brand now only cost $210. It's like I only have to add a little to the quoted repair price to buy a brand new basic laptop with warranties. I've been to a mall-based repair shop and a corner repair shop and both quoted the same amount. I've tried looking for cheaper ones online and I've seen some but they're located way too far from my place. For now, I've connected the laptop to a led monitor.

6. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    That can be very confusing since you just need to add a little more and then you'll have a brand new laptop. If it's me, I'll just save for the rest and use the external monitor for the meantime so I could buy a brand new one later on instead of having my laptop's LCD replaced. Especially if I'm just at home the entire time :)

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me if I didn't understand the pricing there. So it's like that LCD is just a little less than the cost of a new laptop. Hmm, I guess you are right in connecting your laptop to a monitor for now and probably you have to buy a new one when your budget permits. I wonder why laptops here are so expensive. My target laptop is an HP Elite that costs $1,000 brand new.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if you want to exhaust your laptop cpu to its last service, you may have resorted to second-hand LCD monitor or you may buy a cheap LCD from an electronic store. It is the usual business practice that to replace or buy a new LCD monitor is likely to have a new unit of computer for that matter. If I were you, you canvas from the secondhand store for a cheap LCD.

9. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    If your laptop does not have other problem except the broken lcd, I think replacing the lcd is the best option. If you think $100 for a new LCD is big, you can try a second hand LCD, which will cut your expense by 50 percent.