Broken Zippers: Replace Or Buy?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by sidney • Aug 5, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Once the zipper of your clothes, jeans, bags, wallet, etc. breaks, do you replace it or do you take them to a place where they repair zippers, like shoe repair shops? I think if the cost is below $2 then might as well replace it, right? Or do you just buy a new one? What do you do?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the item and how badly damaged it is. If it's the teeth then you have to replace it. I try ti fix zips if I can, but if it was something that couldn't be replaced, like the zip on a boot, then I would have to get a new pair. I'm always careful because I know if they break there is little you can do.

My zip went on a suitcase and I had to cut the zip top open my case as I was away. I was sad as I bust the zip and a couple of the teeth had gone out of shape and I was forced to cut it. I will use it as a storage case now as repairing it will cost too much.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Being one of those people that always likes to look at the most cost effective way of doing things before parting with any money and the majority of my clothes and other items are all high quality as well as extremely durable and therefore last for many, many years - it seems only logical to me that if replacing the zipper or having a repair done is going to extend the life of the garment or item - its best to go ahead and get it done - particularly as - although I used to do it myself - it now rarely costs me much more than a few dollars to have it done if I buy the zip - which is way cheaper than replacing an item that still has a lot of wear in it.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on the item. A lot of things are not easily repaired, but some are. I can see, so I would probably repair something that was otherwise not too worn, but if it was something with vinyl, I doubt I would bother because vinyl is difficult to work with and I don't have a narrow enough needle that is strong enough to do it without bending and I wouldn't want to leave huge holes.

5. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what the zipper is attached to. If its my favorite pair of jeans, I'll try to fix it, or sew it back on. If that isn't an option I'll take the zipper off of a pair of jeans that I won't miss. Its all about priorities.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here, LilAnn, for me it depends on the item of clothing. If it's something that's still in good condition, and I really like it, I'll have it repaired. Sadly, I was never any good at needle work, so there's no way I could attempt to replace it myself. That reminds me, I actually have a gorgeous pair of black jeans and a denim dress that I need to take for repair.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cloth zipers should be replaced. It's actually not that hard if you are wiling to learn how it's done. However at times DIY won't be an option if you can't find a good replacement zipper [from your old clothes]. But you could always use the services of a tailor.

Where I live tailors don't charge much for their services. Replacing a zipper would cost a fraction of what you'd spend if you had to replace the clothes.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, So you mean you don't know how to sew even the buttons of a blouse? Hehe if that's the case then try to learn how to do it, it's quite easy.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I replace it. Usually if you just repair it has a tendency to break again soon. When you replace it, the cost is not so high, the establishment will usually give you a warranty for their service and you get a brand new zipper!

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really is not that hard to replace a zipper in an item of clothing. I have not tried to replace a zipper in a pair of boots or on a purse. Considering the cost of these items and the cost of a zipper it is worth replacing the zipper if the item is in good condition.

11. Lushlala

Threads:
    Hehe Sidney, I'm not that hopeless LOL I can sew back buttons and any hems that have come undone, but nothing further than that. I did Needlework at high school but absolutely hated it. I just found it extremely boring, to be honest. My mum is a dab hand at it, but I could never be bothered to learn properly.

12. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know the proper way to sew. I just kind of wing it. It's never as pretty or dependable as if, say, a 5 year old did it. But I know I need to be easy on it. I always tell myself that next time I won't make the same mistakes, and feel confident that I'll know what I'm doing next time. I'm always wrong :(

13. sbatz72

sbatz72Member

Threads:
    I am not very good at sewing. I think if you have the talent to know how to sew and are good at it, you might want to replace the zipper. I would love to get more use out of some of the clothes I have that break down. I just cannot seem to make my repair job look like a professional job and so I do not repair anything. I think my bank account could look a little better if I did.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, I see, lol your earliest post gave the impression that you don't do needlework, lol. I take it that you didn't enjoy cross-stitching as well? Stitching is indeed a boring activity, but I don't mind doing it.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some of my pants have that faulty zipper. What I do is try to fix it but usually I would have it repaired. Fortunately there is a repair shop near the village's gate and they replace the zipper in an hour or so. Sometimes the zippers in pants look good but the constant use is the acid test if it will last or not.

16. Lushlala

Threads:
    I've often wondered if it were that difficult, but I don't really have the courage to attempt it. Just today I took two clothing items to a seamstress for the zippers to be replaced. It's not too expensive and saves me time. Both items are as good as new and are good brands, you'd think they'd have decent zippers LOL Maybe one day I'll learn how to do it myself :)

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To sew a zip on properly and securely you need to use a machine. These days not that many people have a sewing machine so it would be better to take it to a professional to do. The worst thing is to mend it and then for it to fall apart because the zip wasn't as secure.

18. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll take an item with a broken zipper to be repaired if I think it's worth it. If the item was on it's last legs or I wasn't that fond of it to begin with then it'll get replaced. I can carry out basic mending tasks fairly well but something as complicated as a zipper needs to be outsourced!

19. Lushlala

Threads:
    Theo, I'm so glad you said that, because it makes me feel a lot better about myself hehe Replacing a zipper just looks difficult for someone like me who doesn't know what they're doing anyway.

Like missbishi, i'll only replace them if I still like the clothes and they're in good condition. So I want it done right.

20. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well imagine you mend a zip on some trousers and then the zip seams fall apart while you are out shopping, and you don't have a cardigan or jacket to cover up, then what do you do? I've seen people trying to cope all day with bust zips and it's not worth the cost of getting it done for peace of mind.

How could you work knowing your zip might fall apart with some extra exertion by accident? I just wouldn't be comfortable, but I do carry safety pins around with me in case of any of these issues.