Brown Over Ripe Bananas - What To Do With Them

Discussion in Food & Drink started by gata montes • Oct 1, 2015.

1. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As wondering with what to do with a bunch of very unappealing brown over-ripe bananas hanging out in the fruit bowl - is I think - not at all an uncommon problem.

After having just been faced with this problem but on a much larger scale - even though - as I don't like anything going to waste - I generally freeze them for using in smoothies or for making one of my favorite very easy to make treats - banana, chocolate and coconut ice cream - as they've been ripening way quicker than normal - due to the extraordinarily high temperatures we've been having here - and are now mounting up in my freezer quicker than I can keep up with them - desperate measures were needed before the situation got too out of hand.

So on coming across some extremely delicious but very inexpensive recipe ideas - quite a few of which I've already tried and can highly recommend - thought I would pass them on - so that should you find yourself - wondering what to do with those very unappetizing over-ripe bananas sitting in your fruit bowl - rather than discard them - all you need to do - although I have to warn you that your mouth will immediately start watering - is have a look here

or if nothing takes your fancy there - this should do the trick - as there are no shortage of ideas here

Oh and what about you - do you have any easy to make but deliciously tasty recipes you would like to share - because if you do - they would be more than welcome.

2. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    All I could think of was to make banana bread. That is what I have done on the past with brown over ripe bananas. They usually tend to be sweeter so when making banana bread that is a big plus. You can also try making banana pudding. I don't know how popular that is but you can give that a try.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been seeing a lot of TV about "banana ice cream" made in the freezer. Individuals usually just mush the banana's or mash them in a food processor and add a bit of cinnamon, chocolate chips or whatever they want. They put it in the freezer and voila, a few hours later they have a low cal delicious tasting ice cream. Try it!

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Oh that “ banana ice cream “ sounds exactly like the one I make - which - as I can't eat dairy products - I've been making for years - as its one of my favorite ways of being able to have a treat every now and again.

But you're right Ke Gordon - not only is banana ice cream extremely easy to make and way, way beyond delicious - but its very versatile too - as you can add almost anything you want from - cocoa powder to cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, oatmeal, honey, coconut flakes, coconut milk, icing sugar, ground nuts or even other fruits – in fact someone else I know who also make this - actually loves mixing hers with peanut butter or nutella

However - much as I enjoy all the different flavors I get from regularly switching the ingredients and sometimes combining many of them too - the two flavors I find totally irresistible are - the “ banana, chocolate and coconut ice cream “ I previously mentioned - which although nothing more than pureed bananas mixed with pure cocoa powder, a pinch of vanilla and ground coconut - I find mouthwateringly delicious or “ banana caramel ice cream “ which again - although it consists of nothing more than pureed bananas - that I've previously caramelized in brown sugar and honey - frozen and then topped with a light sprinkling of icing sugar just prior to eating - its a taste trip to paradise for me.

So yes - as just discussing this is starting to bring on - one of those " om nom nom nom ” moments - just imagining the taste - if you haven't tried “ banana ice cream “ yet - I can highly recommend giving it a try.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hello, my name is Josie and I'm a bananaholic. Surprisingly not a fan of other banana foods though! I know, it's weird. Kind of like the more common "I like tomatoes, but not ketchup" thing (or vice versa). I do adore banana ice cream though. My fave cacao with a cocoa drizzle. Sometimes I throw dates in so it's like eating it with candy pieces in there and sometimes I top with crushed walnuts or something. Like you said, very versatile. I did get some new ideas from your links though.. ones I'll have to tweak a lot, but I think I can come up with something. Otherwise, banana bread was the obvious first thing that came to mind and most other snacks get a texture I don't like at all unless they're completely pureed. And even then, sometimes a liquid banana is an evil banana lol.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too hate waste food and even when the banana get over ripe, I don't want to just chuck them. I too just zap them in the smoothie maker and make this gorgeous smoothie that has bananas, Greek yorghut, orange juice and peanut butter in it. If I'm being especially naughty, I sometimes throw in a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and a drizzle of honey. Not only is it devilishly delicious, it's also very filling. I love it :

7. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    If you're adventurous, there's Bananas Foster. Even though slicing will be difficult, adding rum, butter and brown sugar will make a nice puree or sauce that can be added to ice cream, pound cake or other dessert. I'd imagine that excess can be canned of frozen.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Anything that could transform the texture and still make use of the flavor will definitely do the trick. I like the suggestions like banana bread or banana ice cream since you will still be able to taste the flavor in them but you won't have to deal with the overripe texture. The best part about it is that no one will really be able to tell the difference since it's just incorporated into many other ingredients. If it were me, I'd probably do the banana bread idea or I'd just incorporate it into some of my other dessert recipes just to try it out, such as maybe a banana jam topping of some sort.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's also our problem with banana that's why we do not buy the big bunch. When the banana is brown and looked bruised, it's not good to eat anymore. My husband is on the lookout for that indication and before a big part of the banana turns brown, he would peel the banana, take off the bad part and slice the good parts into strips. A dash of sugar and milk before freezing will give us a good dessert for dinner, homemade banana ice cream.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:When my bananas get over ripe I usually fry them up with butter & sugar. You can substitute the sugar with brown sugar, sugar substitute or honey or any variation you fancy. Cook bananas till juicy and a slight glaze. I usually let it cool till I gobble it all up. Yummy and sweet!

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love ripe bananas, but don't like when they're green or brown. Even one soft spot turns me off as far as eating them plain. I do love to make banana bread with the overripe bananas, and I think the best is when blueberries or cranberries are added. It's good with nuts also, but I don't often have them, since they're so expensive. I happen to have some dried sweetened cranberries right now, so I'm going to make a nice banana cranberry bread.

12. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Your comment really made me chuckle JosieP and even more so now - as judging by the majority of the responses so far - the number of those of us afflicted with the same addition - are way higher than I originally thought they might be :D

But yes - rather than using the recipes in the links as they are - as I also have to do a lot of ingredient tweaking - they have given me some great ideas too and although so far - I've only made my own variations of the banana granola bars, cookies and the banana french toast - the latter minus nearly half the ingredients - all have been really delicious so far.

Oh and many thanks jneanz - you've just given me a great idea - as although I don't myself like rum - but do know many others that do and especially in desserts - I'm going to try adding rum to my “caramelized banana ice cream “ next time they visit - as not only do I think that combination would work extremely well - but I know for sure - it will go down a treat with the rum lovers.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to get the over ripe bananas and use them in smoothies and banana bread. They can be frozen to be used later for cooking. I will have to make some banana ice cream the next time I have some bananas, which is not often as everyone in the house eats them as soon as they get in the hose.

14. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I'm hoping to get a food dehydrator at some point, so I can preserve bananas and other fruits and vegetables, and even meat. That can save some money, and would be pretty convenient for me, since I don't have many stores nearby, and don't go out everyday. I had 2 bananas and some cranberries here, so I made this, and it came out delicious. I'm definitely keeping the recipe to make it again.

15. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Well I sure hope you manage to get one - because if you enjoy eating dried fruit and vegetables - then I doubt very much you'll ever regret it - as not only do home-made dried fruits and vegetables taste way, way better than anything that can be bought in a store - but they are generally considerably cheaper too and especially when it comes to “ sun-dried tomatoes “.

However that said - although obviously using a dehydrator is the most cost effective option - especially if you're likely to be drying a lot of fruits or vegetables - if in the meantime you wanted to try your hand at drying a few fruits or vegetables - as there are quite a few that can very successfully be dried in the oven - without the need for a dehydrator - you may well enjoy these easy to make - oven dried “ Banana Chips “

or if feeling a little more adventurous some of these

many of which I have done myself in the oven and have to say - apart from having found using a slightly lower oven temperature than recommended worked better - all turned out amazingly well too.

:oops: almost forgot to mention - there are also a few tips in both links - on choosing the best dehydrators - which I hope will be helpful too :)

16. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, always have that problem with bananas. I seldom buy them 'cause I know I won't go through them quickly enough before they go bad. Those recipes are a good idea, though.

My mother-in-law makes some fantastic chocolate-and-banana bread. I just ate some. The chocolate chips add a lot of value to something I don't normally like that much.

17. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Thanks @gata montes@gata montes, with the budget I'm on right now, there's no doubt I'll have to start my dehydrating with the oven. The oven i have here in this house isn't the greatest, but hopefully it will work for dehydrating some simple items such as tomatoes and bananas. I'm going to watch this thread, so I can see if anyone posts more recipes.

18. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like to freeze my brown over ripe bananas. Once I get enough of them I make banana bread or muffins. I love banana bread and my kids love banana chocolate chip muffins. They are great to pack in school lunches. I have started using the frozen bananas in smoothies too. I find bananas make smoothies more silky in texture so adding frozen ones are great to keep the smoothie cold instead of ice cubes. I love the idea of banana ice cream, I'll have to try it along with the banana cranberry bread.

19. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    You're welcome and would just say - even allowing for the fact that ovens can be temperamental things at the best of times - it should be fine for dehydrating, particularly as you don't need high temperatures - in fact this may help - as having found that - so long as you can keep the temperature somewhere around 125 - 200 F - most fruits and vegetables generally come out more or less the same as those done in the dehydrator - don't think you will go too far wrong if you stay within that range - so - although it may take a bit of experimenting for them to come out exactly how you want them - hopefully you too - will soon be enjoying snacking on dried banana chips - along with all the other fruits and vegetables that taste extra delicious when dried.

Yes I'm doing the same too and although I can't always follow many of the recipe ideas exactly - as I generally have to substitute ingredients which can sometimes be a bit restrictive as I'm not able to eat dairy products or eggs - I would just like to say - that I do very much appreciate all the recipe suggestions so far - especially as - many are giving me some really good ideas - that will - with a bit of tweaking - hopefully taste delicious.

20. Diane Lane

Threads:
    When I got home yesterday, I realized I'd bought tomatoes the other day as well, and now I have too many. I love tomatoes, but I have to watch my intake of acidic foods, so this could be the perfect opportunity for me to try out the oven dehydrating. Hopefully I can get to that before they get too soft. I'm interested to see how it goes. Should I salt them before dehydrating? Do you know? I always buy Roma tomatoes, so that's the type I'll be dehydrating.