Brushing Your Teeth With Bar Soap Is Way Better Than Using Toothpaste

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Aug 16, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's what everyone says. According to the expert who knows a lot about teeth:

So apparently when you use soap to clean your teeth you could avoid visiting the dentist altogether because if the acid which dissolves enamel is neutralized and the bacteria is killed, why would you want to visit a dentist?

And there's more:
    I'm thinking about getting rid of my toothpaste. Not only will it be cheaper to use bar soap to brush my teeth, I'll avoid all the bad side-effects of using toothpaste.

What do you guys think? Is bar soap a great alternative to toothpaste?

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! Never heard of such info. I'm almost confuse of all the information i get online these days actually. There re lots of studies to anything. Coffee for instance they say its bad because blah blah blah and on the contrary a study from another university suggest its good for the brain and etc and blah blah.

So who's telling the truth?

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This statement I will have to take with a grain of salt. Who is to say this person knows what they are talking about. Soap in my mouth does not appeal to me. I remember my mother telling me if I didn't watch my mouth she would wash it out with soap, and that was a bad thing. What if you swallow the soap wouldn't that make you sick of the stomach? I think I will stay with my toothpaste.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What do you mean by "that's what everyone says"? I never heard that before in my life, nobody says that... I think it's weird, brushing your teeth with soap! It tastes awful, have you ever accidentally had soap in your mouth when you are taking a shower? Not pleasant! I'll stick to tooth paste...

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    That story is nonsensical - it has no links to back up his claims, it doesn't give his credentials, it doesn't explain who "Dr. Judd" is or why I should care what he says... It's just tossing stuff out there, and the bias is strong in this guy. Besides which I bar soap means a whole range of potentially dangerous stuff being swallowed by little kids. For instance, I use anti-bacterial Dial - should a two year old be brushing with that? No. Other people make their bar soap with LYE!!! LYE!!! Eats through things like flesh - should a small child be brushing with that... Heck should anyone?!

Finally flouride is added to some water supplies, but it is also taken out of water supplies. In fact many states are naturally afflited with excess flouride in the water - including Colorado. It was in Denver, Colorado that a dentist happened to notice the phenomeon of people coming in with brown teeth that had no cavities - so yeah...

This guy is nuts and you shouldn't listen to him, but if you do - please be careful.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd maybe look into it more but for now I'll probably just stick to the traditional way. I imagine soap doesn't taste that good anyway and unless they make a type of soap that is specialized for the mouth I don't think I could give it that much of a chance. I'd maybe try it out once or twice but unless I have looked fully into it I don't think I'd risk it.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I heard it said on radio long before I came across the article. It was back in 2008 I suppose. They were listing the best ways to clean you teeth. Using a toothbrush and toothpaste was at around # 6-7. What was the best way to clean you teeth back then? Not exactly the same words but this will do.

But try such methods only after you've done adequate research . . . cheaper though they might be.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's an interesting point, but I don't think I would enjoy the taste of soap in my mouth. Besides, it all depends on the soap as well. Most of them have foaming agents and other ingredients that I would not want to absorb through my gums or tongue.
    I have been using simple aluminium-free baking soda for many years now. It works well, and my teeth are sparkling. I haven't been to a dentist in years.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been wondering for a long time about the healthiness of toothpaste but I agree that bar soap is ridiculous. I have been thinking about going back to OraMD. The stuff's expensive and tastes kinda nasty but it seems to be great with your teeth. All that flouride can't be good for your teeth. I just wish I had money to buy it regularly.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Bar soap? Are you serious??? All the crap that goes into bar soap I can't imagine that honestly. I do understand the issue with using toothpaste because supposedly there are alot of harmful ingredients in it that's why I just use baking soda. Using toothpaste gives me a sore throat and that's for sure not a good sign as to whats in the stuff.

11. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone ever tasted bar soap? Ugh, I could not imagine using bar soap in my mouth, makes me gag just thinking about it. If this is true, I will just take my chances and continue using toothpaste.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Soap for toothpaste not for me because I see ads on television that come from dentists that recommend Pronamel from Sensodyne, so they recommend toothpaste. Some dentist recommend Crest toothpaste too. When you see advertisement it's a good idea to discuss it with your dental or health care provider to see about credibility of article. Take care!

13. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    This is actually the first time I've encountered of this study and advice. I've read about using natural toothpastes free of fluoride before but not really soaps. To be honest, I've never tried natural options like these natural toothpastes and baking soda as well. I am quite content with my toothpaste. But of course, just because I'm content with something, that doesn't mean that I shouldn't explore other options. I've really been meaning to try other alternatives.

But using a bar soap... That seems a bit weird. I've gotten soap suds into my mouth before and they don't taste good. Lol. Plus, I think more studies need to backup these claims to make sure we're not endangering ourselves. More studies can equate to more proofs which is always good. I guess in the near future more people would be interested in this claim and would test it out themselves. We also need the studies studying the long-term effects of this, using bar soaps as toothpaste.

With regards to fluoride, I know it naturally occurs in our water only in trace amounts. So I guess it doesn't really have bad effects as long as taken in moderation. Maybe that's why it's advisable to brush your teeth only thrice a day.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is amusing to me. Think of how much you can save with the expensive toothpaste by using the bar soap for brushing your teeth. I can agree that the bar soap is a cleanser like the toothpaste and maybe it is even more potent. But if it is proven to be safe and practical, I guess there would be a hype in the social media.

However, I don't think I would have the temerity to use it because I don't want my mouth to smell like laundry. I am used to using the toothpaste and in the absence of such, I would be gargling with a salted glass of water.

15. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The information provided in the thread is quite compelling to dismiss offhand though the jury is still out there. I am testament to the fact that bar soap can do the job better than fluoride toothpastes. Like the latter, its alkaline and will neutralise corrosive acids in the mouth minus the fluoride which can cause dental fluorosis. I have used bar soap to clean teeth and its cheap and effective leaving a clean feeling in the mouth.

16. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Every day there is the possibility that we will learn something new! It's tempting to dismiss the information as spurious. However, experience teaches me that I should not be quick to dismiss a theory unless I have proved otherwise. However in this situation, I don't know if I would want to prove the validity of the claim because soap in my mouth is not a pleasant thing and I don't know either if any available bar of soap would be effective.

17. Saundra Jackson

Saundra JacksonMember

Threads:
    I hope It's a joke! Really, does anybody puts soap in her mouth? LOL

18. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely don't like the taste of soap, so it's unlikely I'll brush my teeth with it. Growing up, we would sometimes use tooth powder instead of toothpaste when brushing our teeth, and I rather enjoyed the taste of it. I haven't seen it in years, although I'm sure I could find it online, since just about anything can be found there. I have used baking soda and water as a paste on the rare occasion when I've run out of toothpaste, and I don't mind the taste of that.

19. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I am sure that this is true, and I am also certain that the soap would be much cheaper to buy than toothpaste, however I wouldn't want to put that in my mouth because I just think that it would taste disgusting, and I don't think it would be very safe if you swallowed it by accident. So no matter what the reasons for it, I think that I will simply stick to my toothpaste for now, thank you very much!

20. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    It sounds quite strange to me to use bar soap. Bar soap is also made out of a mixture of chemicals. I also prefer to just stick with toothpaste and one that does not have much fluoride in it. I have heard some people who gurgle coconut oil to brush their teeth but have never tried it myself yet. I honestly would rather try coconut oil than bar soap!