Budget software

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by Laura • Jul 19, 2012.

1. Laura

LauraNew Member

Threads:
    Hello,

This is not really about banks but I don't know where to put it. Do some of you use a software to make the household budget? Is it a free one or a paying one? Are you happy with it? Or do you know any Excel file to do it?

I have a feeling I would spend less money if I wrote every expense and income and it would be easier to save money.

Thank you

2. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think these guidelines I found on the Internet can be useful to answer the question you are doing. I have no experience with any accounting program, because I have too many expenses not yet, but I think this may be useful for you:

You can find a list of programs (do not know if they are all free) on the next page:

3. Laura

LauraNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks a lot Bloomatic, that's wonderful.

4. taskeinc

taskeincMember

Threads:
    Here are a couple of free budgeting software programs that are user friendly:

.. you can watch a how-to video from the website.

.. offers templates that allows you to input your own data, such as Expense Planner, Income Planner, Budget Planner, Money Tracker, and Setting Financial Goals.

5. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    I personally use Mint sometimes so I can vouch for this!

If you want, the easiest thing to do in my opinion, is to have an "App" do this for you. I have an iPhone 4S and I'm sure smartphones have an alternative, where you can buy an application which can keep track of your spending. Having this app around with you (as you are more likely to pull out your celll to list spendings than your laptop) will encourage you to keep tabs on yourself and overlook your budget on the go!

6. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Ig you are using linux system, you can use gnu cahs or if you are using iPad which is think is more convenient, an App called Homebudget is really helping my wife doing it. So before the year end, we might probably move to our own house. Thanks to the homebudget :D

7. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I use AceMoney software to keep track of my expenses. It is not free but it works great and keeps track of where my money goes. There's also a free version available known as AceMoney Lite but it allows you to store only two accounts. Download it and use it for few days to see if works for you. Here's the download link

8. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I use MS Excel as my online earnings calculator software. I programmed my Excel file to automatically compute for my online earnings and convert my earned dollars to the local currency here in our country. Its much easier because I can keep my online records each month and create a graph regarding the things that work for me and things that doesn't.

9. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've used online, but found I do a much better job when I just write down everything that comes in and everything we spend. I've been thinking about downloading a free one for my smartphone, just to try it out. I assume you get what you pay for. :) There's one called YNAB, you need a budget. I've heard great things about it, but I think it was $50. I'm not ready for that kind of investment.

10. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    ^
    I guess that's way too much for a budgeting software. I mean, instead of saving money, you are going to spend 50$ on a budget software? That's not a good deal right? Maybe I could suggest that you download free budget software online because there are literally thousands of them available on the internet.

11. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    You can try envelope budgeting plans at eebacanhelp.com. It's simple to use and effective. They have free and paid plans but the free one works well for me. Give it a try :)

12. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I use spreadsheets in OpenOffice (free open source software). This way I can create exactly what I want and need. Over time, you keep tweaking things to perfection. What I have now, I could never find in any piece of software. And, it's expandable for the future.

It's nothing complex. Anyone can do it. You just have to learn how to create simple formulas to automate the data calculations. If you can do it by hand, you just have to translate that into a formula. I tend to gravitate to spreadsheets more and more because you can waste a lot of time searching for perfect ready-made solutions.

13. Aquila

AquilaBanned

Threads:
    Sounds like a good one dude,If we get to see something that finally helps us with learning things and at the same time finding the things that we get to know is the correct one for us that is what feels good.

14. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    You Need a Budget a popular choice, but costs around $59 or so (free if you're a student). Has a great smartphone app though and it all syncs.
    I enjoy Mint a lot, but there are concerns it voids your protection on your accounts if any sort of fraud happens -- you gave out your information to a third party.
    Microsoft Money is an old piece of software that's now free and while it doesn't receive updates, some people find it useful.

Best bet is making your own excel spreadsheet, but sadly those can get particularly complicated especially if you want to do some of the things the above do, but for free.