Budgeting and Your Lifestyle

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Nanatracyann • Apr 10, 2012.

1. Nanatracyann

NanatracyannNew Member

Threads:
    In today's tough times budgeting is so essential. Review and adjust your budget at least once a year (perhaps at tax time, when you've done a financial review) so as to take into consideration increases or decreases in income, completion of installment debts, a change in priorities. As the needs of living change, so should the budget. What are some things you do to live your lifestyle within your income?

2. Lucky120

Lucky120New Member

Threads:
    Well I have to say that my lifestyle revolves around my kids now. I mean I still get things that I need, but other than that I have to make sure that they are okay and that I am saving some type of money each month. We are in the process of saving more than we spend which is something that we have been doing for a long time now. There are times when you have to pay those bills and you end up with more debt or bills, so mostly everything is spent in that sense and not on a lot of material things.

3. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I only purchase items that I absolutely can't live without. I make a shopping list before I go to the store to prevent buying items I don't need. In addition, I use more home remedies because they cost less and are just as effective as other conventional alternatives. I have also been growing more foods in my garden to save money and start eating healthier.

4. Randomhero

RandomheroMember

Threads:
    I always try to make my food instead of go to fast food places as that is a quick way to lose valuable money. When I was working at my previous job, I calculated I was spending about 70$ a month just on lunch break food.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I never pay top dollar for anything. Whatever I'm buying, I look for special offers. I buy meat and fish when it's reduced because it's short dated, and I freeze it until it's needed. I buy all my fruit and vegetables from street markets rather than supermarkets, and I buy my clothes from market stalls rather than boutiques. I buy books second hand rather than straight from the bestsellers list. In other words, if I can buy it cheap, I will. That philosophy allows me to enjoy the lifestyle I want.

6. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Aside from living not beyond my means, I have decided to cut my credit card. Believe me, it was a struggle! But I have learned to live without it and it's actually refreshing.

7. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I review my budget quarterly, and since I canceled all credit cards I do the old fashioned envelope budgeting. I have envelopes for weekly expenses like groceries and transportation and monthly envelopes for entertainment and things like the electric bill. And if the electric bill is more than budgeted for I take it out of entertainment because that means we weren't careful enough. Anything left over in the envelopes gets split in half. Half goes to long-term savings, the other half goes to vacation expenses. Rent and savings aren't done by envelope though - they're fixed expenses.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lately, I have changed my spending habits dramatically. I eat out a lot less. I put off major purchases for as long as possible. I take public transportation instead of driving. I walk whenever I can instead of taking the bus. I shop at thrift stores for clothes and electronics. A few years ago, I would have never considered shopping at a thrift store.

9. Coffeeaddict

CoffeeaddictNew Member

Threads:
    I go for the deals and discounts that I can use instead of paying for the full price. I scour the best deals before purchasing anything. I keep track of all of my expenses as well as savings so I know where my money goes. Right now, I'm trying to learn how the stock market works and invest some of my earnings there.

10. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    I try and find discounts and good deals, especially when it comes to my bodybuilding supplements because they're quite expensive and usually leave me with a hole in my wallet haha. If I really want something and I don't find a bargain, I'll still buy it because I get a little impatient sometimes but it's hard to keep doing this stuff. I need a change and that's why I'm here.

11. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Sometimes the old-fashioned methods are best, because you can physically see where your money is going. That means you're much less likely to impulse buy, and that 'must have' item doesn't seem so attractive when you have to take a wad of cash out of one of your precious envelopes.

My youngest granddaughter said it all. She recently asked her Daddy - who can't refuse her anything - to buy her a toy she'd seen on television. My son told her she couldn't have it, because he didn't have any spare money. She replied: 'You don't need money, Daddy - use your credit card instead.' She needs bringing up to speed about credit cards before she's old enough to apply for one.

12. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I am expecting my first child and this has dramatically changed my financial lifestyle. I eat at home all the time now, coupon clip, shop during specials, bulk buy some non perishable items and everything I buy other than groceries are other necessities. I haven't splurged in a while and have taken savings very seriously. I handle my budget on a weekly basis as my payments for loans and doctor bills are still coming in and sometimes surprise payments wipe my checks clean so I need to recalculate. We went from living comfortably to being tight but that is fully expected with a child on the way. As long as she has everything she needs we will be fine.

13. DrakenV

DrakenVMember

Threads:
    My life revolves around saving and making as much money as I can, haha. I try to grab cheap deals whenever I can.

14. obadiah

obadiahNew Member

Threads:
    I have a limited income so I try to live as frugally as possible. I have been shopping in thrift stores for years, not only because I save money by doing so but because by reusing it helps the environment. I prepare a shopping list before I go to the grocery store and follow it closely; I try very hard not to impulse buy anything. I use coupons. I grow a garden and eat out of that most of the summer and freeze or can anything left over. I also buy from roadside stands which tend to be cheaper. I use the library to check out books and dvd's, I seldom buy those. I am in the process of paying off all my debt and when I do so I will start saving money and then I will feel more secure.

15. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I cannot pay the bills I have on my income. I end up having to set up a system to skip this bill this month so I can pay that bill and then catch back up next month. I am hoping to get semi caught up so I can start keeping every thing on a regular schedule.

16. rymick

rymickNew Member

Threads:
    I have been listing things from around the house on Craigslist and eBay for the past couple of weeks. eBay has been disappointing, I would have to say. Craigslist, however, has delivered. I sold three items for a total of $350in the past week. I make sure I correspond and feel comfortable with the buyer and of course Craigslist comes with spammers and stiffers, but overall I have been buying and selling on CL for years and have never had a real problem. You could always meet somewhere like at a store if you are uncomfortable with giving out your address.

Just like saving money is important, if there is a way to bring in extra income, that is also great- so if you have a talent or trade you can make moeny with, try it, you never know where it will go! Above all, consistencey is key.

17. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Perhaps you should check out the section here on saving on untilities and such. You would be surprised the kind of help companies and even the government is offering now for those who have a low income and need to pay essential bills such as water and light.

18. R. Paradon

R. ParadonNew Member

Threads:
    I am on a limited monthly budget. It can be pretty easy to go crazy and before I know it i can really be scraping until the next check comes in. So I devised a simple system that works for me and I am rarely out of spending money. After paying the rent and the few bills I have I take the remaining "FREE" money and divide it by the days left in the month until my next check comes rolling in. For example, if I have $700 left for the month and there are 15 days remaining I just divide 700 by 15 and I know that I can spend $46 every day. If I go over the days budget I just adjust it. It is really simple and if once you get used to it it is an effective system!

19. masteraljon

masteraljonMember

Threads:
    i just have a daily allowance of 5$ for my transportation and food, i didnt eat, too much to save money for my other needs, and i didnt have any vices.

20. Benleem

BenleemNew Member

Threads:
    I always make sure I have paid my bills and then live on the remainder of what I have. I'm the kind of person not easily coerced into overspending.