Budgeting Social Outings - Eating out, Happy Hours, etc.

Discussion in Food & Drink started by alc89 • Oct 18, 2012.

1. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    How do you all budget out or prepare for social events? What do you do when you have plans to go out for a meal with a friend, or a Happy Hour after work? Since I don't have a lot of money to spend on this type of stuff, I need to be very smart about it. At first, I was completely depriving myself of these events. Cancelling plans, telling friends I was busy when I wasn't, etc. - and it was really not fun to just go to work then go back home.

So, now, I've made it a point to stay social and see my friends and family. It doesn't have to be expensive and no one will be "mad" if I don't spend money I don't have. With friends, I try to go to places that I know have discounted or special menus. I do quick research on which places offer the best Happy Hour deals. On the days I know that I'll have plans, I make sure to eat a big breakfast, lunch, and some snacks throughout the day. That way, when I get there, I'm not so hungry and I can get one or two drinks and enjoy myself. How do you plan around social events?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    We always go for special deals - it's the cheapest way to eat out, and the food is equally as good as the a la carte stuff. I always make sure I don't go out thirsty, because that means the first drink won't touch the sides, so I'll end up spending more. If I'm really short of money, I'd rather invite friends around for a pasta night, or suggest we meet up for a bargain breakfast somewhere. If you want to be sociable, there are ways to do it without breaking the bank.

3. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    First, I always make sure that my monthly budget has allocations for these social outings. I also keep an eye on promos and coupons for restaurants and other recreational establishments. If I only have limited money, I invite someone to share the expenses with me. If not, I also invite the group to just hang out in somebody's crib and we could just buy food and booze. It will be a whole lot cheaper than eating out.

4. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    For the past few years, when I have wanted to have a fun night enjoying a meal with friends and family, I have planned the menu and done the shopping and cooking myself. It is amazing how $50 worth of groceries from a well-planned shopping list can produce a delicious dinner that would easily have cost 3X as much at a restaurant. My primary reason for doing this is that I love to cook, but knowing how overinflated the prices at most restaurants are (compared to the food quality), it makes me smile to know I can prepare a superior meal for much less money.

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    You could sign up for emails from Groupon, Living Social, et al, so that you can get discounts to popular restaurants. Usually a deal is sold at half the price of its value, and unlike restaurant.com, the businesses have asked to participate in the program. One of my favorite places does the offer about twice a year and I am always thrilled to see it because it means I can have dinner for $10 plus tax and tip.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My friends and I have the best time together when we have potluck events. It doesn't break the bank when you only have to make one dish (something under $10) and I throw in a cheap $5 wine every now and then. We all watch a movie and eat together. Or sometimes we do cookie swaps and craft together (guys and girls- hey guys like to craft too!). You can go to Goldstar and find free tickets to events near you too. I have a Bank of America card and ever first weekend I can go to museums for free. There are tons of free things you can do. Take a hike at your park, host a picnic or just go to the library and take a lunch with you to reconnect.

7. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I love to use LivingSocial. I live in DC, where LivingSocial is based. They just got themselves their own space, so they've done a ton of events and classes. My boyfriend and I went to a beer-and-bacon pairing class and it was really fun. We learned a lot, we got to eat some good food, tried some craft beers, and it was all under budget. There was no way that we could do something like that on our own at the price we paid it for. With friends, I think it's OK to admit that you're tight on cash or trying to be on a strict budget (hey, you don't have to impress 'em!) - so using coupons and deals can be a great way to spend time together and do different things.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    My friends and I email each other when good deal offers come up. Those deals are also an inexpensive way to try out places you've never been to before. I also buy the deals for stuff like yoga classes.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It can get kind of crazy when you've got coworkers and friends hitting you up 3-4 times a week wanting to go out for dinner/drinks. In that situation, I would try and budget for one night a week, and anticipate spending a reasonable amount. You can always be up front with your friends that you're on a budget and/or saving towards something right now, that it's nothing personal. Personally, I wouldn't get into the habit of going out every time they call, otherwise you could wind up either blowing your budget or being the stick in the mud all night because you don't want to spend any more money while everyone else wants to keep partying.

Two of my friends and I went on a trip to Atlantic City last summer, and one of them basically only came with barely enough money to get him there and back. It ended up being a waste of time for all of us because everything we suggested doing he was dragging his feet on because he didn't want to spend any money, so none of us could really do anything because we would have to leave him out.

10. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I do the Groupons and daily deals for places I like. I also budget an amount each month for social activities. Keeping track of how much I spend each month really helps. I think eating out is one area where you don't realize how much you really spend. Once our budget is gone, no more eating out until next month.

11. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I think you've already been given lots of great advice. I would recommend having a somewhat flexible budget for entertainment. For example, we spend between $25-$50 monthly on eating out, having friends over, going to the movies, etc. This amounts to going out 2-3 times a month. Decide how much you are willing to spend monthly on social outings. Eating a special meal at home can be better than going out to eat at times!