Building insurance

Discussion in Home & Property Insurance started by Peninha • Mar 5, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in an old building, probably from 1948, and we pay almost 500€ per year of insurance. The problem is when something happens the insurance almost pay us nothing, we also can't change insurance because the building is too old and no insurance company wants to secure it before we improve it. Should we just cancel the insurance?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Appears to me like you're paying too much to an insurance company that cares not what happens to the house as long as it's still standing. Learn from what the other guys are doing. It's best to cancel you insurance and use the money you would have spent on renovating the house little by little. Of course in the end you may have to insure your house but since it's not legally mandatory why spend money [right now] if the insurance company has proved that they won't offer any compensation should anything happen?

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, the thing is we have flats on the building and one of those owners doesn't want to renovate the building, so we are stuck there. As for the insurance, what can we do, we need an insurance I think, what if something catastrophic happens? We stay with nothing!

4. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    How many people live in your building?
    Can a person from a single apartment "block" the wishes of all the others?
    That seems strange, I would also advise you to spend the money renovating the building in order to be able to get on a new insurance, but it doesn't look like that's an option...

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not a matter of blocking Okster, it's just that the expenses are split equally by six and if the woman above me doesn't want to pay who will take her expenses on? It's a tricky situation because the building really needs to be renewed.