Bulbs With The Right Wattage

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Alexandoy • May 17, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Check your light bulbs and surely there is a bulb that is over in wattage. A big space like a living room requires a 100-watt bulb in the olden days. But the CFL bulbs now are more luminous than the olden incandescent bulb so the recommended bulb for a standard living room is 18 to 20 watts. And for the bedroom, 15 watts is good enough for a big one and 12 watts for a smaller bedroon. Using a bulb with a bigger wattage is not only a waste in consumption but can also ruin your eye with the unnecessary glare.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I am very much grateful for this suggestion. Our humble house is full of energy-saver bulbs with great wattage. Since I am after for saving electricity consumption with a great illumination, I installed those lights without considering the space which the bulb could light on.

Now, I realize my great mistake or misconception on lighting up our house. I would make some adjustment and apply your suggestions. Again, thank you for this very helpful tips, @Alexandoy@Alexandoy.

3. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am aware of this over wattage situation. In the past, I would be using these 100-watt bulbs and I eventually came realize that it was always too bright and somewhat unnecessary for space. In some instances, it was like daylight in nighttime which wasn't for relaxation. I eventually sought to measure the intensity of the that was been generated from the various wattage in order to arrive a most suitable fit.

4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well it takes a little more work to know your stuff when it comes to things like this, but it is worth it more often than not. If you can be smart and save when you can then surely you can cut off a good amount.

5. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    For our home, it's not actually a shift from incandescent bulb to CFL or LED bulb. We've been using fluorescent lamps for a long time and one is enough to light up the entire living room for only 20 watts. Hence, when the CFL and LED technology came along, there wasn't much difference in consumption except for the bedroom. I tried to replace the fluorescent lamp with a CFL bulb and found that yes, it is luminous,but it only lights up the area around it unlike the long/linear fluorescent lamp. It would be even wasteful to use 2 CFL bulbs to match the lighting provided by one fluorescent lamp.

6. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when we used to buy tubelights because it was brighter compared to filament bulb and it also saved electricity. Then we began using CFL, which was more economical compared to tubelight. However, these days we have LED lights, LED lights consumes less electricity than CFL. I use 5-10 watt LED every where except my study where I use 30 watt LED.