Burger or cake?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by rikka • Jan 16, 2015.

1. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    From where I live, there are a lot of fancy coffee shops around. But what I have noticed, they offer cakes and other pastries. Once in a while, when my hormones are raging like the bull, I want to eat fancy food, but I cannot dare step inside coffee shops because of cakes. Much as I want to spend fancy coffee once in a while, I do not like cakes. But it is just a waste of time for me if all I ever order is just coffee.

That is why I prefer burgers, spaghetti, taco, and/or pizza. Most of the time, these are not found in coffee shops. I know there's one coffee shop that serves pasta, but I always forgot the food even existed in their menu. If coffee shops will serve burger, that would be perfect. I think I am just weird, but I think burger and coffee are perfect together.

#1Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    You could always order a burger and a coffee to go, and enjoy them in the comfort of your own home without being judged :p

Seriously though I don't think that many cafes will come up with such a combination, it's just that coffee and tea are generally seen as an after-meal drink that complements desserts like cake.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Being British most people like a coffee or cup of tea with a slice of cake, biscuit or a pastry. It's quick and easy as you can choose on the spot and it's sociable to split a slice of cake as well. From a shops perspective it is more profitable, the time to cut a slice of cake and put it on a plate versus frying a burger yields more profit and uses less time. I like burgers too, but for lunch and not a snack, so many places do offer both or toasted sandwiches. Personally coffee and a croissant or chocolate muffins are perfect for me.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm more of a savoury food person, and the answer would have to be burger. I don't always crave cake, it's something I enjoy once in a blue moon. When I do go for cake, scones and all the naughty delights, I do go all out.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like both and crave them at different times. Burgers are great for when you are ravenous, but I prefer a slice of cake with a coffee. It doesn't really fill you up much though.

6. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, for me, cakes are good as snacks but I don't feel full if I just eat cakes maybe because they're lacking the savory taste associated with meat. I rarely ever go to coffee shops but if I did, I would order something along the line of chicken pastries or even those cold sandwiches. Just like you, I don't want to go to a coffee shop just to drink coffee but I also don't want to eat just snacks. I think savory food and coffee are perfect together and that's why Starbucks sell them. I agree that the sweetness of the coffee balances the savoriness of pastries or sandwiches. That's why I don't think it's weird for coffee to even go together with burger.

7. DTracy3

DTracy3Member

Threads:
    I prefer a good burger over a cake, but that's just my personal taste. ^^ I also like cakes and other sweets, it's simply that I prefer eating the more solid food, like a real meal^^

8. globulon

globulonMember

Threads:
    I prefer savory over sweet so I'll take a burger over a cake any day. I know what you mean about coffee shops though, but I find coffee shop food isn't ever worth it. I have no qualms about just buying a coffee and sitting there the entire time sipping it.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless you're talking about a breakfast burger, then coffee doesn't exactly mix well with burgers, as much as I love burgers myself. Why would a coffee shop order burgers, though? it's more likely that a burger shop would just happen to serve coffee as a menu item.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    McDonald's has the McCafe cappucinos and frappes so if you don't mind fast food you can get coffee and burgers at McDonald's.

11. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say that burgers and coffee are two of my favorite things, but I have never had the need to make them go together. However, coffee shops around where I live do serve a lot of other foods besides pastries and cake. They actually offer gourmet sandwiches, pannini, and some offer gourmet mini pizza, so I guess I can't complain.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It does sound like an unlikely combination, but you like what you like and that's all that matters. I think you might be more suited hanging out at diners, then, though. I sometimes go to diners and I enjoy the atmosphere of those a lot better most of the time anyway so I would definitely recommend it. That way you can get your fix of burgers or pizza or fries and get a nice cup of coffee to end your meal but I personally prefer just getting milkshakes.

13. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    We actually own a coffee / burger shop. We named it Cali Bay Cafe because we have American-style food, such as chili con carne burgers, fries, pastas, nachos supreme, etc. At the same time, we serve pure Barako coffee with gourmet sauces and syrups. At first we thought coffee and burgers wouldn't match, but our customers come in getting either one.

Many people actually love the cafe and they come individually for the free WiFi, and others come in groups, such as families, friends, or neighbors.

14. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Since I am terribly greedy beyond belief. I would say that you should just get both and play your cards right. You can eat the burger right then and then save the cake for when you get home. Heck, I would probably eat both at the same time and order another burger to go.

15. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Coffee does not go well with hamburgers in my opinion, however, breakfast burgers are okay. Also, there are many places that served coffee and hamburgers, it simply takes longer or require more workers to serve both together to a customer e.g. McDonalds, Denny's, buffet places, cafe restaurants, etc. The problem is this rikka, the place you live at do not have businesses that offer burgers and coffee or you haven't explored to find a place that does offer such foods at one place.

16. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I think there's a time and a place for both. I think I can eat either any time of the day as well. I've had plenty of burgers in the morning, noon, or night. The same goes for cake. I didn't even know there was an either or in this case.

17. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Cake a million times! Cake over anything! I really like to eat cakes, all kinds of cake. I know that in terms of nutrition, meat is far away ahead and there's a meat in burger. But the thing is despite that it's a meat, it nutrients aren't guaranteed to be really present especially burgers at the fast food. Burgers at the fast food are augmented by extenders which we don't know the makeup.