Butter, Margarine or non-GMO spread?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by justusforus • Oct 28, 2013.

1. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Do you use butter or margarine or some of the non-GMO (non genetically modified organisms) spreads? I use butter or margarine in my baking, depending on the recipe. I have use margarine or a non-GMO spread for toast. What is your preference and what do you use it for?

2. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    For me, the biggest thing I try to avoid when purchasing butter is trans fats. I do not even touch margarine. I like Brummel and Brown butter. It is made out of yogurt so it is lower fat and not so oily. It spreads very easy onto toast and melts well. I also love the creamy flavor and the fluffy texture. I will occasionally use Earth Balance spread. I like Earth Balance because it is organic so I know it is chemical free. I believe that Earth Balance is vegan as well. The only thing I am not crazy about when it comes to Earth Balance, is that it is pricier than the other spreads.

3. forumwriter225

forumwriter225New Member

Threads:
    The trans-fats present in margarine make me shy away from it when I can. I also really dislike the taste. I tend to stick with butter and just use it in moderation. I often use it as an alternative to oils as well, as hydrogenated products are not very good for you.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I use Butter. I prefer the taste and believe it to be much healthier than margarine. Sometimes I will simply buy the double cream myself and churn it into homemade butter. Not quite as good and not quite as long lasting, but still very nice, somewhat creamier than normal.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to use a non-gmo and trans fat free spread. Though, I know that I will never get my way and sometimes you have to choose one or the other.

They both are superior options then the conventional means. Therefore, you really can't lose either way.

6. AngryItalian

AngryItalianMember

Threads:
    I prefer to just use butter and not eat things I eat with it all the time. The problem with America is it treats what should be a occasional delicacy as an everyday part of their diet. There is a reason it is a treat, because it tastes good but can really be a negative on your health over time.

#6Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Butter is a must in recipes. No buts about it except the one you obtain from consuming so much butter. I really don't use it on toast at all. I don't use anything on veggies. I usually grill them for flavour. I like to avoid unnecessary use.