Buy 1, Take 1 To Expire

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Mar 4, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you experienced buying a promo of buy 1, take 1 that is about to expire? It was a good thing that I noticed the chocolate bars with the expiration just 2 weeks to go. Hmm, it’s almost for free but to think that it is about to expire, oh well, I got one pack which has 4 bars and costs half the regular price only. I could have taken more but the expiration of the free chocolate bar is on my mind. And then someone came along and got several bars. When I pointed out the expiration, she said that it’s all right because when the chocolate bar is in the fridge, the expiration stops. I didn’t know that. Do you agree?

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Lol. I haven't heard of that explanation! I am not sure if I believe that. What is an expiry date anyways? I think expiry is really a relative term especially when it comes to business.

A recent research on medicines showed that the drugs that are labelled few months expiry dates can actually be used for 15 years! These dates are in place just to make people purchase and discard medicine so that they is always a demand for the medicines.

Whether it is the same with edibles like chocolate is beyond my knowldege.

3. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    This a common practice for the stores to offer discounts when products are about to expire.
    Nonetheless, I never buy items which are even close to expiry. Do not have an idea whether the date of expiry has anything to do to retain the quality, but I avoid taking risks.
    Might be a co-incidence, it came in yesterday's newspaper that a child immediately died after consuming an expired cough syrup.

4. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I rather buy fresh from factory stuff with discount coupons if I wanted to save money. It is better to be safe than to be sorry. On the other hand I heard that Twinkies don't expire.

There are foods though that are proven to not expire like Honey, Raisins and Wine. I think the only reason I will eat something expired is a post apocalyptic scenario.

5. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I have not heard about that, but I have heard that if we put the food in the freezer, then it can be kept much longer, but not fridge.

I also heard that the expiry date is usually displayed much earlier, so it will be safer. But some food can still be consumed a short time after the expiry date. But, I wouldn't take the risk.