Buy Anything From Classified Ad Sites?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Aug 17, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been seeing many of these sites popping up recently. And you can find some great deals on some but many people who post ads on these sites think it's a good place to sell something they don't want at the highest prices possible. So should you see an ad on any classified sites, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be getting a good deal on what you are buying. Take a look around the net, odds you'll find the product being sold by a reputable online retailer at a lower price.

2. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    May I ask which classified ad sites you are referring to? I was not sure if this was about sites like craigslist, or for apps like OfferUp, Poshmark, LetGo, or others like them. I do have experience with each of those but want to make sure I am on the same page you are before continuing!

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sites like Craiglist, Kijiji, Gumtree, OLX and others like them. I from time to time look at ads placed on a few of the aforementioned sites and others whilst hunting for the best deals and numerous times, I've seen some ridiculously overpriced items. That's why I say, before making the purchase take a look around, you could find a better deal elsewhere.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have always had newspaper subscriptions. I like classified ads, but not ventured towards Craiglist. I've gotten a puppy from classified ads, sold my vintage things by answering a Hawaii picker's ad and bought and sold my cars through classified ads too. It has been successful for us locally. The newspaper has been a very good to us even when I had a first name change. First name change? Being a victim of data theft and id theft that went towards many different kind of account theft....check your locations in yahoo accounts and recent activity plus check your security pages of facebook settings in where you're logged in to make sure it's only you that's logging into your accounts. Be sure to tell yahoo and facebook security or wherever account that you find security breach about the breach and to work together with security to solve your problems. Most sites say change your password; some sites the breach is daily, so let security know changing password doesn't work. ic3.gov is where to report your breaches to and be sure to have printout of your page that you're reporting. I'm planning to get my own computer soon too so wish me luck with getting a good security system for my computer! Be careful of content scraping.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True, it's because most people still hope to get as much money as possible from their items, me included, lol. I see phones that are old models being sold there at $100+! Besides, all of them are 2nd hand items anyway, so if you're looking for a bargain then you're better off buying brand new in a large store where you can compare prices with the other stores.

6. whysewserious

whysewseriousMember

Threads:
    I agree that often those prices are too high. The only sight mentioned above that I have ever used is Craigslist, and I will only buy items if they are ridiculously cheap. I never understood how someone could try to sell something used for close to full price. To me, it is a digital yard sale and things should be extremely low priced.

The biggest problem I have with Craigslist is actually getting people to commit to any actual transactions, though. I might get a response or two, attempt to schedule a meet up for the transaction and then I never hear from them again!

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Classified websites would be a big business. Nonetheless, I'm sure that eBay, Amazon, and Facebook make it incredibly difficult for them to do anything. For instance, it's much easier to reach people on Facebook, and you don't need hosting or domain fees.