Buy cheap clothes or invest in nice ones?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by caseyfacey • Mar 3, 2014.

1. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to be someone that buys very cheap clothes. By cheap, I mean Forever21 type of clothes. ($6 shirts, $10 shoes, etc.) I know the stuff is hit or miss - it could fall apart tomorrow. But I'd much rather buy cheap clothes that I could get a lot of good wear out of it, before I throw it away without any guilt. If I buy a $5 shirt and spill ketchup on it, I wouldn't really get as upset about it if I spilled ketchup on a $30 shirt.

Would you guys rather pay more money for higher quality clothes or spend less for "disposable" items?

2. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I'm actually pretty good in finding great, affordable clothes that could last for years. Before I make a purchase, I think to myself, "Is this just a trend or could this design/style last for a long time?"

I usually buy cheap, simple clothes, but to make it fit into what's 'in' during a certain time, I mix and match it with things that could make myself look pretty fashionable and 'not trying'.

So to sum it up, I buy cheap clothes that are durable and those that will 'fit in' for a long time.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't understand people that dress in expensive clothes since cheap clothes can be nice too! Just because your clothes are expensive it doesn't mean you dress nicely. And let's not talk about wearing all those logos that accompany brand clothing. What are we, walking commercials?

It's all about taste really. Cheap clothes can have a nice design, as nice as the more expensive ones. Trust me, when you look nice no one will wonder about how much your clothes cost!

4. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    I do both. If it is something that i really like i will buy an expensive item, but generally i go for bargains I find that clothes are not worth their price. They worn out very quickly. I am always able to find budget friendly clothes that satisfy my fashion needs. These high end fashioned trends retail at ridiculous prices.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think clothes just differ in the quality of the material that was used in making it and the brand that made it. You can buy a simple plain white t-shirt for $5, while the same exact shirt from a branded store costs way more than the "brand-less" one. So for me I would invest in the clothes that have better quality but not really insanely expensive.

6. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I like to buy expensive clothes. No matter what anyone says, I generally find the quality to be a lot better and they last for longer if cared for properly.

7. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I do find that most of the time you get what you pay for. Although I do love a bargin. I think it depends on the occasion. Also some expensive clothes look cheap and vice versa so I just shop around. I think aswell, sometimes expensive items are an investment. For example I bought an Addidas jacket for £120 over two years ago and its still in good condition. Now when I've bought cheaper coats a few weeks later a buttons fell off, zips are malfunctioning, so it has to be repaired multiple times then replaced eventually and you end up spending the same sometimes or more in the end.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it depends on the item of clothing. I tend to buy cheap shirts, skirts and sweaters, but I invest a little more on things like pants, jeans and coats. I like buying at places like forever 21 because of the same reasons as you pointed out, if it gets dirty or stained I won't be so mad to throw it away. Also, with ever changing trends and styles I can't justify spending a lot of money on a shirt. But with pants and jeans it's different because they need to have better quality and fit better. Also, they don't go out of style as easily, so you can wear the same pair for several years.

9. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    There are cheap clothes and then there are clothes that don't cost that much but still have good quality. Since I love buying clothes, I don't like to spend too much money on one item. I try to find stores that sell quality clothes and also nice ones but for acceptable prices. I see no reason for which you should buy really expensive products. You would be mostly paying for the brand and not for the actual item of clothing.

10. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I do both.

I buy cheap clothes for me to wear in my normal day to day stuff and then I have some more expensive clothes that I wear for when I got out on the town. Although last weekend I wore a brand new shirt which got blood on it after I got into a fight and I had to throw it away as I couldn't get the guy's bloody out of it. Cost me $90 as well. :(

11. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    I've never found expense to be the real determinant in the quality of craftsmanship. I think you pay extra for additional style, or a brand name, or a designer---but so often those clothes are made in sweatshops just like the cheap ones, and unravel just as quickly. I'm fastidious about my clothing, so I feel confident that a shirt will last as long as it possibly could. I don't get stains or let them fade in the laundry. That's why I feel no different about expensive garments---some of them can be pretty flimsy.

12. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to buy high quality and expensive clothes but I can't. So for now, i will stick to primark and all those sorts of places :)

13. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I refuse to pay a lot of money for casual clothes such as t-shirts or jeans. In regards to formal or business attire, I'll spend the money. This type of clothing tends to stay in style longer, so it's worth my hard earned bucks.

The best place to get cheap clothes (to me) that are decently crafted is Target and Marshall's. They are great for t-shirts, socks, underwear and causal bottoms.

#13Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  14. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I will always take investing in good clothes over buying cheaper ones. I mean I like owning high quality clothes, rather than own cheap ones. I personally like designer clothes, so that is one of the reasons I like to spend more money on clothes. Cheap clothes also tend to not last long, making it less worth it purchasing them.

15. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I think cheap is good for a lot of things. There are some items that are worth an investment, though. For example, it's worth it to spend a little more on like a really nice coat or a nice pair of shoes. For T-shirts or trendy items, though, cheap is good.