Buy New Clothing Vs Sewing Old Ones

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by NinetyEighty1 • Oct 8, 2017.

1. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Do any of you out there prefer to sew clothes that are either starting to tear or are too big vs simply buying new ones. I am not the best sewer nor do I have the proper tools but sewing does seem like a more effective and cheaper way to deal with certain clothing than purchasing new ones.

2. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have time or the energy to sew my own. And it'd not be a good idea considering the amount of time it can take. Some people have time in their hands. And they can invest it into this type of the stuff. And people can surely make use of the time and skills and sew it. For me buying the new clothing or even used would be more than enough in that context. It works out just fine for me.

3. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    For me, sewing largely depends on the type of material, that makes up the cloth. For instance, in the case of jeans or khaki clothes, I would prefer going for a new one. It would also depend on how old the cloth is. If it is too old, it means the material has most likely been worn out and even if I sew, it won't go long, before it tears again. Therefore, I would rather grab a new one. Last but not least, it would also depend on the extent of the tear. If it is a small one, I can just patch it up, and continue with life like nothing happened.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do sew up my clothes when there is a need to sew them or repair them. Now that I know that there is Walmart with so good prices on clothes, I window shop there all the time. When I come across very good prices for clothes, I get them. Walmart has so good prices and rollbacks it's worth buying new ones from Walmart.

5. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I always try to sew or repair clothes that can be salvaged by simple repair. There are some people I know who discard even clothes that just need a new button or a zip. I always try to replace such items on clothing and make them last longer. We can afford new clothing as clothes can be bought at good rates but I feel why throw away something that is good and can be used longer with only a simple repair. That way, I can even teach my son the value of things and money.

6. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:

I personally don't like sewing clothes. But if sewing the area will make the cloth as good as new, then I will do it. I really prefer new clothes. I have some clothes I have repaired and worn them again but I often feel like the cloth is too old.

Sewing saves money. :D

7. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    I'd rather sew them than get new ones provided the clothes are still descent. I don't even have to sew it my self I can easily get someone to do it for me and I pay them.

Over here, people make a living out of sewing. They walk around all day with their mini sewing machines swinging their scissors at hand. When you hear them around you, you call them and your work is done just like that.

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I think this will all depend on the quality of the clothes needing the repair. If it's a high quality and expensive dress and I can see that it will stay good for sometime, I don't mind spending for repairs. However, if it's something that I bought from a discount store and not meant to last, I'll toss it to its next best use as a rag for house cleaning. I have a sewing machine that I can use to handle minor repairs such as cutting the hem of jeans or slacks or sewing up a tear on clothes although I still have to learn and be confident about doing major repair jobs such as adjusting the clothing size.

9. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    Sewing clothes is definitely cheaper compared to buying new ones. I prefer to buy clothes because I am a sucker for new items. I also think that sewing your own clothes can be monotonous in that the more you sew them the more you will have more to sew. I have also tried to sew clothes rather than buy new ones but that was when I was broke. It did not end well. When my friends realized that I was doing so, they started to give me their worn-out clothes to also work on and paid for the service. What started as a personal thing became a business and the fact that I was doing so by hand made it very hard. People start to look at you differently when they learn that you sew clothes rather than purchase new ones. It is not a good feeling, trust me.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of my younger days when life was hard since my parents were constructing our house. Old clothes would be resewn to have a new look. I remember one Christmas when my long pants were lengthened by unfurling the fold at the bottom. There was also the shirt with no pocket that my mother had sewn a pocket so it would look new. But in this modern age, I don't think it is proper to do that. As long as you can afford new clothes, even cheap ones, just buy instead of modifying the old ones.

11. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    They did teach this sewing method as a means of practical and budget saving tips during my high school days and even my mom teach us how to sew our torn clothes way way back. It was because our clothes were prone to being torn during those days due to hyper activity and carelessness. But things have changed and can't even remember the last time I had a torn clothes. But I will always want to sew my torn clothes than to buy a new pair if it's still usable.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    If your "outside clothes" are tattered enough to wear in public then it's best to just use them as "house clothes" and buy a new one, or even a 2nd hand one. A lot of preloved clothes are cheap and presentable looking, so you don't need to spend an arm and leg to replace your old clothes.

13. Mahi

MahiMember

Threads:
    Yaa I sew my old clothes until and unless they are completely ripped off. It's a good way to save money. But yes, if my old cloth is in a bad condition then surely I will not waste the time in sewing it rather I will prefer to buy a new one at a discounted price from online.

14. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to saving money, I would rather sew my clothes than rushing to purchase new ones. The money I would spend to purchase a new cloth in enough to sew as many of my tattered clothes as possible. I don't know how to sew but I know of cheap tailors whom I prefer taking my clothes there.

15. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I like this:). I am learning how to use a sewing machine at the moment. I am learning how to make simple outfits like dresses and skirts. Maybe I will end up being very good and I can make some money by the side as well. I stumbled upon a few channels on Youtube on how to make your own clothes and this has inspired me to do this.

16. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I am not trying to repair my clothes, but when I need to change them I buy clothes from a secondhand shop, or an outlet because it is cheaper to buy new and fashion clothes.
    I buy new clothes very rare, maybe once a year, in the rest I buy nice clothes but old ones.

17. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    If you have money then buy new clothes and if you not have then second option is good.