Buy New Or Fix My Broken Phone?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Casiox • Aug 20, 2016.

1. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    This morning, something awful happened to me, I accidentally dropped my phone in the water whilst I was in the bathroom, it was an accident, but I really don't think it will be working anymore, however, I was considering the idea of taking it to a technician to have it looked at, I do not really want to spend that much money on a new device, any advice?

2. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I think you should evaluate ur current situation. Is your phone already obsolete? Don't spend any more money over it and buy another, It's the guarantee already expeired and is too expensive to be repaired by a third party? Buy another one. Y

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    You had the same problem as my cousin did a few months ago. He forgot that his iPhone was still inside the pocket of his pants when he placed it on the laundry basket. His mom in turn washed the laundry that day without checking the clothe pockets. He has been going back and forth to his cellphone technician but he was informed that the price for the repair was a bit high and there's no guarantee that the phone will still function the same after a repair attempt. So instead of having his phone fixed, he bought a new one instead but he bought a Samsung phone which was way cheaper than his iPhone.

I think you need to weigh the odds if a repair is still possible and if the cost is just okay but if the repair is expensive, you might as well just buy another phone for yourself.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You may also keep trying the phone and see if it rejuevenates. Sometimes they will turn on after awhile if the interior dries out. Also, you may want to consider a refurbished phone that is not as expensive. You may get all the benefits of a new phone without the price tag. Some people think refurbished phones are even better than new.

5. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I managed to take out the phone's battery and try drying it with a hair dryer, then I took a cup and served a bit of rice in it and placed the phone inside so the rice could absorb all the liquid that is left, I will see what happens after a while, hopefully it still lives.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that trying to save the old phone is a good idea and if that works, then you will have the phone and not have to spend any money. However, if that does not work after you leave it sit in the rice, and dry it; then you will have to decide whether to spend money repairing the old phone or jut replacing it.
    As was mentioned, phones become obsolete very fast, and if your phone is not a new one, then fixing it might not be worthwhile.
    My phone is an iPhone 5, and it still works fine; but if somethiing happened to it, it would probably be better to replace it than to try and have it repaired, just because it is around 4 years old already.

7. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I just turned it on this morning and it's apparently working fine, however, I was considering the idea of taking it to the technician in order to have it looked at, I do not really want to think it's going to work fine since it basically got drawned in the water, thank you for the advice though.

8. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    Actually I have even seen kits for 1.99 that are especially for water accidents with cellphones. I don't know if they are any more sophisticated than rice, but if they do work, and can make your phone as good as new. These are the ways you can make sure that you get the options that you need if this is something that happens to you again. I hope your phone will be OK.

9. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I do not really think that I'lll ever be able to buy one of these in my country, I live in a a third world country where you do not see anything like that, it's a shame, but rice is the best thing I can use at the moment, however, thank you very much for the advice, I know it would've been something really useful, appreciated.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When my Samsung SIII wouldn't charge, I had it fixed. After changing the battery, the tech also fixed the motherboard of the phone so I spent quite a sum. But before 1 year, the same problem occurred but this time there's no way it can be fixed. At least this second tech had been honest that it can be remedied but the problem will just recur after sometime. So what I did was to buy a new phone and the old phone can still be used with an individual charger for the battery. But it's good for playing only.

11. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I do not really know what those techs do to make things not work for the next time you try to fix it, it's like an estimated time of durability, and they also charge you a lot of money. I would not have fixed it, however, it was a good thing because it lasted you one year, but only because of that, I think you did god, but I personally think it's time for you to upgrade your phone.

12. Ke Gordon

Threads:
    Probably getting an insurance plan with your phone is the best thing you can do, however, I am not sure if they cover water damage. I think the specifics of the contracts should be spelled out so you know what is covered and not covered. I would purchase an insurance plan if I had an expensive phone, but so far I just have had cheapos.

13. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I already had considered that idea, but it just reminds me when my dad had his phone insured by a big company, those people used to charge my dad's credit card for the sake of it, the CC bills were too high and he had to cancel the contract with those people, I would not really like to fall into the same hole as he did, thank you for the advice, though.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suck at fixing stuff or having them fixed. I always make such a big deal out of it, having to send things to repair is such a hassle! Be it your car, your phone… you have to go get it to repair, be without it God knows how long, see if the repair is cheap or expensive, how long it will take, what is the service warranty, go get it back. All of that to get it and sometimes having it not fixed properly or breaking again soon after.
    NO, thanks! I prefer getting a new one!

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a phone, (an old model one with keypad) dropped into a basin of water so I immediately took the battery out and buried it in rice. After 12 hours it turned on already (before it didn't, I guess it was still grounded) but some keys won't work, but as time went by and as the interior dried up, the keys started to work again, all of them. But after a few weeks the LCD got dark, like black instead of colored, so the connector got eroded, I tried to replace the LCD and the connector looked slightly "green" on the edges, like moss got into it. So from my experience it really is a must that the phone be unscrewed if you know how to do it so that the interior part will be dried up, otherwise it risks ruining some parts of the phone. I hope your phone is still working fine until now.

16. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well that is fine and all, but of course we all do not have the ability to just go buy the new one, and sometimes the repair is the cheaper, and better, option. I certainly agree with you though, and I would love to be able to do it, because the hassle associated with repairs is a lot and it wears on you (especially with cars). With phones, though, I would say getting a new one is a little more feasible.

17. AntonioCalcano

AntonioCalcanoNew Member

Threads:
    Buying of fixing that's a very big decision. I would say that if you have the money then buying would be a better option mainly because most things that have previously been broken and fixed present some issues at later time and then you need to have it "refixed". If you don't have much money of course the more sensible thing to do would be fixing instead of buying.

18. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    I would use that phone until it dies, and then buy a new one (1-2 year old model). If it is working right now, I wouldn't take it to a technician because I would be worried about getting charged for an unnecessary repair.

19. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I had a terrible experience using my ipad last month. All of a sudden the applications wouldn't come up. I tried all I knew about phones and ipads there was no way out. I took the ipad to a local phone repairer who later told me it is a software malfunction and that he doesn't fix that make of ipad. In the time being I had to settle for a small android lenovo phone pending when I am able to fix my Techno ipad.

20. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm still using an old smart phone which was cheap. And although it is quite slow compared to the iPhone and Samsung, I'm trying to persevere in using it because at least it is durable. I have seen friend with a broken phone and had they repaired only to be broken again. One issue with smart phones is the battery and the charging of battery. So when you have a broken phone, my advice is to get a new one. Having it repaired may just give you a bigger headache.