Buy Or Build?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Belovedad • Oct 23, 2016.

1. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Do you guys think it's cheaper to build your own computer or to just buy the whole thing as a set? I know it's more optimizable building it but the whole procedure is having me wondering. I also do not mean just the nominal value but the real value and the opportunity cost.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those with little budget like me, the best bet is tthe clone which is aan assembled computer set with parts of different brands. But if you have the money then buying a branded set frees you from incompatibility issues. My computer set is a mix and if I turn on the monitor before booting, the keyboard doesn't work. That is one example of incompatibility.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if I were to bet my own computer, I would prefer to buy the pieces of its parts and assemble them later. Why? I want to have a good quality computer. The parts that I am going to get are of the same brand that is to avoid as what it is said here incompatibility.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    If you know what your doing, then it can be cheaper to build rather than buy. Also, building a computer is often a better option for gamers or those into 3D art, as a powerful computer is better for such hobbies and buying a ready built gaming computer is often expensive. However, note that a homemade computer won't have technical support.

5. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    Building a set is much better in my opinion. As long as you know what you are doing. Building a set does somehow save you money and you get to pick what you want and do not want in your computer. Having the means to buy brand new is not always a good thing. There are manufacturers who build expensive rigs and a lot of the hardware costs a lot which makes the set expensive. Like the new gaming Laptop from MSi which has the same cost of a used car. It has not one, but two graphic cards which are not cheap by the way. Building a nice gaming rig might just cost around 500 dollars.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Building is more cost effective and you can find the parts cheap anywhere. If you know what you want and know the prices of the parts then you should be good to go. You should do a lot of research on the parts you're looking for and compare them according to price and quality depending on what kind of computer you want to build.

7. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Nearly every computer I have owned I've built myself, and while there are some good deals around these days on the stock, off the shelf computers, I do still think that it works out cheaper building your own. When it comes to computers though you can pretty much make it as cheap or expensive as you want, and if your going to be choosing all of the top of the range technology then you're going to have to expect to pay the top of the range prices whether you buy OR build.

8. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the person that you would ask. For people who don't know how to build their own PC, then they have no choice but to buy it pre-built already, or buy it 2nd hand. No one in our household knows how to build PC's, so we have no choice but to buy pre-built ones. I would love to learn how to build my own PC, but I prefer to be taught how to do it personally rather than watch Youtube instructional videos. I want to ask questions personally as they teach me, which you can't do while watching instructional videos.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know how to build a computer in fact I am just getting to know about this now. I can reason building a computer will be lot more cheaper if you know the techniques. In the meantime time I'll opt for buying a computer.

10. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of people tend to think that building their own computer is more complicated than what it actually is though. Fair enough, you do have to have a certain comprehension of what is needed, but most places you go to will help you with what components you need based on what you're going to be using the computer for. After that, it's simply a matter of putting it all together and you can even employ somebody to do that for you, and while it might seem a lot easier to just buy a computer off the shelf, even if you do employ people to help you to choose what you need and then build, you do still end up saving quite a bit of money.

11. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    This is a typical misguided judgment about PC building, and it's more entangled than "building is less expensive than purchasing" or the other way around. Fortunately, it's quite simple to separate the nuts and bolts. A ton of PC aficionados don't care to let it be known, yet PC makers have the force of purchasing in mass that you'll never have. Indeed, even with their markups, you can regularly get them less expensive than building your own, particularly on the lower end of things.

When you get into higher value focuses and more specific needs, however, the amusement moves a tiny bit. Many gaming-centered desktops, as Alienware machines, are very overrated. You can fabricate a practically identical PC yourself for altogether less.

In addition, in case you're building a more devotee PC, odds are you have more particular needs, which implies you can manufacture the ideal PC for you. In case you're gaming, you can avoid the hyperthreaded CPU and put more cash toward a superior video card. On the off chance that you need to get all the more value for your money through overclocking, you can pick a motherboard that gives you a chance to do as such, as opposed to purchase a secured, pre-constructed PC.

12. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree. My cousin's husband is a technician and he also advice us to build a set instead of getting a new one. Not will it only save you a huge amount but you can also pick the specs and pieces you wish. It is recommended for desktops especially for gamers since they would need higher specs so they can customize it the way they wanted. I'm just not sure if it's also good for laptops since I'm used in seeing assembling desktop computers.

13. DMlad

DMladNew Member

Threads:
    At first I thought building a PC was too much of a hassle so I just bought one pre made. However now that I have learned how easy it is to build a PC and how much cheaper it can be, I obviously prefer building my own PC. I managed to build a PC exactly like my own about 3-4 months later for 400$. The one I bought was 650$.

14. haivu721vn

haivu721vnMember

Threads:
    For low-end PCs: Buy.
    High-end PCs and gaming Rigs: BUILD.
    You should not waste your time building something that you can get for cheap since you will make it just a little cheaper.
    Gaming PCs like Alienware are often too overpriced. Building them yourself will reduced the price down by a few hundred.

15. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind assembled one as it reduces cost and functions optimally too.

Branded set would be far greatly expensive and unnecessary for my needs I feel.

16. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Assembling your own set with result to be the cheapest option. Not only will it be cheaper but you will be able to chose the brands and parts you want to use. This is if you know what you are doing and know exactly the parts you will be needing. I would build my own if I could but I wouldn't have a clue on what to do.

17. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    I think that building yourself a PC can be cheaper if you know what you are doing. You can also buy some parts for a fair price on eBay or some other site that sells used parts. My friend got a decent graphics card really cheap that can play almost any new game.