Buying a backpack

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Gelsemium • Sep 8, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My older kid is now entering his second year at school. Last year we bought him a backpack, that is totally destroyed now, so this year we decided to invest in a better quality one. What do you think, will he destroy is as well or will it last longer, the materials look better, but we never know kids right?

2. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    Its possible if you buy a good quality back pack for it to last him a while. Its hard to know though backpacks seem to go through a lot and they have to bear the burden of carrying all those heavy books. I got my daughter a new one this year because she got rid of all her other ones. I told her if she did that again she would be going to school without a backpack.

3. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Every time someone asks me about backpacks I always tell them to go with a Jansport. They are great quality backpacks that last for years, and they come with a lifetime warranty. So if your backpack gets too old and torn you can just get another one easily. They are a bit on the pricey side, but it's worth it since you would most likely never have to buy another backpack again.

4. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    Jansport backpacks are great. If your son is young (which it sounds like he is) you may not want to buy one that will last forever as you should fit the backpack to the child, and young children grow a lot each year. It is important to get a backpack that fits well so that the weight is distributed properly. Children will have difficulty if the straps are too big and slip off their shoulders, or too small and pinch them.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Investing more and buying a quality backpack is the better idea. Kids are playful and usually don't pay too much attention at their backpack, thus, having one that's resistant to prolonged wear is cost effective in the long run. What brand, I can't help you there, but reading the other suggestions I had a look at Jansport at they do seem sturdy and good looking.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    We have thought like that as well prettycolors, I mean, buying a backpack per year doesn't make much sense and the one we bought last year was totally destroyed, so I hope this will last longer. It's from Nike I think, a good brand, and the materials look really better, so I am hopeful, but doubtful as well... :)

7. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I have children ranging in age from 8 to 19 so we have purchased MANY backpacks over the years. I can say through our experiences it is much better to spend a little more and purchase a higher quality backpack. The ones with the characters on them are cute, but you will be lucky to have it last half way through the year. We bought our older daughter a jansen backpack, and although it was expensive, this is the second year she is using it. :) Spend the money up front and save yourself multiple trips to the store throughout the school year. :)

Hope this helps!
    Danyel :)

8. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I have to agree with most people that buying a better quality backpack will last a little longer. The alternative is that you spend half the amount and it lasts half as long. In that case it doesn't really matter and maybe your children will like that they get two backpacks instead of one :)

9. elbycap

elbycapNew Member

Threads:
    Hi Ya,
    I'm happy to hear a young person is carrying a backpack at all. I think any pack will do. If there's something special about, maybe they will cherish it more. Allow your child to pick it out or trust them to go out on there own and pick one. Always make any possible moment a two-fer. 1. their choice 2. an opportunity for you to trust them with money etc...
    Be Well and enjoy! They do grow fast!!!

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Kids can be pretty tough on things, but there are definitely some brands that hold up better than others. Jansport is a good one, and though they're on the pricier side, I'm pretty sure the ones from LL Bean come with a pretty long warranty?

11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    You should buy a new and better one. Perhaps Samsonite? I know how kids can destroy backpacks! My nephew manages to damage his bag every school year. I am planning to get him a Samsonite one for next year.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    It's the first time I hear about a Samsonite backpack chiof, I though they only made travel bags. I was looking online for those backpacks and they look good indeed, the problem is that I never saw them for sale where I shop. Most likely they are just more expensive than I can afford...