Buying A New Computer

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Corzhens • Jun 23, 2015.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a concrete plan to buy a new computer for our home at least before the end of the year. It's a pc that I have in mind since we are pc users and Mac is quite alien to us. But my husband is trying his hand in video editing and the Mac is the best for it. Right now we are indecisive of what computer to buy. Any suggestion?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have nothing against Macs, but you don't need one to perform basic video editing work by any means. You mentioned that your husband is going to try his hand at video editing, not that he's already doing intense stuff with it. For that reason alone, you should take a better priced and more powerful PC over a Mac because it'll more than take care of your family's needs.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    We made the complete switch to Macs when my husband opened his own business about 4 years ago. Obviously I now prefer them, but certainly they come with a price. I will say I've never had any issues with my Mac (nor he with his) and we were "sweeping" our hard drives clean on our PC's about once a year for all the malware it collected.

Another thing to consider is if you are Apple users for gadgets. Synchronizing everything together is pretty seamless when you convert everything over to macs. If you don't have iPhones, or iPads, or Apple TV or anything like that, it might not be worth your money or time to make the switch.

4. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Like troutski pointed out well, you can trust me on the fact that you don't need Mac PCs if you only intend to do video editing on it, unless you will earn your money out of this. A PC could fulfill this necessity quite easily, too. And between me and you, Macs are very pricy, so why spend that much money on it anyway? haha.

My two cents for you today is to go for the cheapest but best alternative. I have nothing against Macs, but I just don't see how in the long-term would they be reliable is all.

5. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    With Windows 10 around the corner, a Mac maybe a waste of investment. Of course, it's still your decision but you don't require a hi-fi piece of equipment for a basic video editing. Windows based computers are powerful enough and have excellent computing power, catering to various multimedia and gaming applications.

Windows is versatile and has wide patronage with various application developers. A windows-based computer is much cheaper than a Mac. However, I advise you to go for a branded computer with pre-installed windows.

6. NicCris

NicCrisNew Member

Threads:
    You can also look for parts on eBay and build your own computer, is substantially cheaper. You will need to decide what necessary components you need, and how much you are willing to spend for them. The assembly require little or no experience, if you follow the manuals and look at a couple of online tutorials it goes quite smoothly.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm with @bonzer@bonzer in that it might be worth waiting for Windows 10 to come out, just to see if the capabilities are comparable to what Apple offers. Plus, people with Windows 7 & 8 will recieve a free upgrade to W10 when it is released, so there's no sense in spending money if you don't need to.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Mac is too expensive, if you're trying to save money, then I think that other brands are cheaper and are more practical to buy. I suggest that you buy an HP computer. Ours was bought last 2009 and it still is running without any problems.