Buying A Phone Whenever There Is A New Models

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Alexandoy • Jan 14, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a very extravagant habit – buying new cellphone when a new models comes in the market. My niece is like that. In the olden days when cellphones costs 5,000 pesos only, she had bought one that costs 30,000 pesos. And that was not an iPhone because there was no smart phone yet. Now you can guess that she has the latest iPhone aside from an Android phone (I didn’t catch the brand). Well, she is single and has a good job so she reasons that she deserves to satisfy herself with what she wants.

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that the answer to this would depend from one person to the next, and what their requirements are for a phone. For myself, as a retired senior, I have no need for a new phone as long as the old one is still working fine. However, people who depend on their phone for work might want and need the newest version of ther preferred smartphone when it comes out.
    I am pretty sure that Apple has some kind of a plan where you sign up and pay so much per month , and then you get the new phone models as soon as they come out.
    I have had an iPhone5 for 3-4 years, and my daughter got it for me. She just got a new iPhone 7 Plus because she does need that for work, and she gave me her old iPhone 6 Plus. It is a larger phone than the iPhoone 5 was, and much easier for me to read and see things on this phone. Plus, it has an awesome camera, and I don't even have a camera any more, I like the iPhone camera so much.

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I always like the idea of smartphones because I am amazed with the idea of what they can do. However, I never became addicted into getting the latest models. I did buy and sell phones before and changed units from time to time because of that, but I would like to have one that sticks.

The latest smartphone that I have purchased was 2 years ago. I didn't bought it the first time it's been released but it was a flagship phone and up to now it's running great, good as new and I'm still in love with it. I don't actually see the need of changing one phone to another just because it's the trend or it's the latest. Having an iPhone 5S and replacing it to an iPhone 6S a year later (when the iPhone 5S is still in pristine condition) doesn't make any sense to me o_O

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I am not that crazy for cellphones. I only buy a new one when I feel the old one needs a rest.

My current cellphone is 4 years old and I feel it is now starting to show symptoms of being sick sometimes.

I can't afford to waste money luxuriously after every new model in the market.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know a number of people in my circle who go out and buy the latest model whether they need it or not. Most of them do not use even half of the functions available in their current phone but they change their phone in the name of 'new features'. Actually some of the BIG companies plan their advertising campaign so alluring that the customer feels as if he would miss on something and left behind in the race of development if he did not change his handset immediately.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never even had a cell phone so a smartphone that was lent to me by our phone company felt very nice. Though I really don't need a smartphone, because I have a laptop, I think a phone between a cell and a smartphone is good. I'm not up on cell or smartphones, but if you can afford it and what it needs why not get one of the latest one and sell the old one? I like the emergency prospects of a cell phone. I read articles about people being stuck in an elevator and using a cell phone to get rescued was awesome! I think smartphones are really too small for typing anyway. The big smartphones are like a netbook, but usable I guess. If I could get one I"d get the bigger smartphones and carry it in my big purse all the time.

7. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I am not that addict to new smartphones. I think it is not wise to invest more money in smartphones because the trend is changing very fast. If you buy the latest model today within a few hours a more advanced model will hit the market. So whenever I want to buy a smartphone I would wait for some time to get it at a cheaper rate.

I have a Samsung touch phone (it runs on Bada OS) which more than 7 years old and quite durable. Even though I bought a new Galaxy this old phone is still intact. When I look back I think there is not much of difference in touch phones as far as my requirements are considered.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Unless he is a collector of mobile phones or a seller for that matter or even then if he is very rich. It is too impractical to get a cellphone every time there is a new unit or model. Money of course is the main issue of this kind craziness or madness. If there is, a handful of them probably.

9. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Well if she has the money and that's what makes her happy why not as long as she's not hurting anyone. I am quite the opposite I like to use up my phone until it is not usable anymore. I don't really find the satisfaction in having the new models of anything. As long as my phone does the job I can keep it for years. Maybe I think differently because I have my daughters needs as a priority but I don't like spending money unnecessarily.

10. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Well it's her choice to run after latest phone models. I see that as one allowing himself/herself unnecessary distractions. I don't even bother to know names of the phones that are latest model, it's not that I can't pursue them financially but I have far better priorities. I got a Lenovo smartphone four months ago which wasn't known to be the latest at very comfortable price of less than one hundred dollars. It's working superb.

11. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't tend to buy the new ones. I prefer to buy second hand and use my own sim as it is cheaper to buy them, and second hand phones don't lose as much value when I eventually sell them on. I know you can get contracts that let you get a new phone every two years, but I'm not fond of the idea of being required to upgrade if the phone I have does what I need.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For me a smartphone can never replace my laptop although I use my official and personal phones regularly but typing on a phone is a real problem for me besides I type long articles so I must use laptop with kind of features available. I use my phone only while I am traveling and have to check emails, send messages and for browsing purpose so I do not have to change a phone every time a new version is launched.

13. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen people who're pretty inclined towards having up-to date gadgets. This give them a sense of superiority and a feel of being tech savvy. I even have seen people comparing their status depending upon the gadgets they possess.
    Whatever is the situation, it's a lavish hobby to sustain.

14. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    If the smartphone is an old model, then I think that it would be ok to collect them. I have that hobby as well, but the phones that I buy are refurbished or 2nd hand, and they only cost less than $100. I certainly won't go into the habit of collecting the newer models, since that would be a very expensive hobby. I think if the person can afford to buy the latest models then there is nothing wrong with buying the latest model every now and then, since it's their money anyway and they have the right to spend it whenever they want to.

15. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    It depends from person to person. If I really need it, I would probably buy it. But for me, I would rather purchase a gaming desktop than an expensive mobile phone. as I said, it depends on the needs of the person. I do not need new models for phones since I just use mobile phones to receive SMS and calls. I'm using a phone which has been with me for around 4 years now. It still works well that's why I haven't purchased a new one yet. and once it does not work anymore, I would probably buy a used one that is still good. I do not spend too much on gadgets. There are a lot more things that i can put my money into where I can earn a bit each month.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In fact I know a lady who has just bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Edge for AU$1100. By the way she was using Note 7 until the last week which was working just fine. I have seen both the phones and did not see much difference in between the two barring the latest is 64 GB and the other one was 32 GB with an SD Card of 32 GB. Although I am not sure the previous version had finger print scan feature or not but that doesn't make a big difference either.

17. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that cell phones are small and hard to type on, at least for us older folks who do not see as good as we used to do (me). However, I have an iPhone 7 Plus, and I can type with that when I need to because it is one of the larger ones. Plus, it does the thing where it guesses what word you are trying to write, so you often do not have to type the whole word.
    My phone also has Siri, so I should be able to do some of this by voice commands to Siri; but I have not actually tried doing anything except making a phone call by usingSiri.
    I don’t think that a person needs to upgrade their phone each time a newer version comes out, unless the newer model has some specific complications that you need or just want to have.

18. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on what each person prioritizes. for example: what's the point of having a super modern smartphone (and that you always pay dearly for it) if you don't use everything that it can offer you? Just because of status? :confused:

19. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    Testing new phones is not a bad idea. The only problem is that you have to spend money purchasing it. Most of these phones also have more or less the same features and there is no problem if you stay with your phone for many years.

20. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I would much rather wait until the one I have is absolutely down to its last strand, and I often do. These days there are deals whenever you sign up or change too though so that usually helps too if you need a new one.