Buying A Phone Whenever There Is A New Models

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Alexandoy • Jan 14, 2017.

1. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Having the lastest phone is obviously not necessary unless one is created with indespensable technology. Unless you feel like not having the latest phone generates less money for you in the long run somehow, I would just purchase a new phone every few years instead of every few months.

2. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    I would only go for a new phone if I got a good deal, otherwise I will keep my old one.
    It works just fine for me, although I sometimes wish it had a slightly bigger display.
    The problem is, that with the "planned obsolescence" strategy, your phone will eventually stop receiving OS and app updates, which can become a real pain if you ever have to factory reset the phone and then find out you can't update the preinstalled apps.

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    This is something I don't do. If there is a new model, great, but usually the new models are really expensive, and after a few months the price drops a lot. So, before buying I consider the price and quality of the device far more than if it is a new phone or not.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    To be very frank there is nothing new in so called latest model. Can anyone tell me what is the basic difference in between iPhone 8 and 10 or Samsung 7 and 8? Actually, mobile companies take the advantage of customers' buying power with their so called latest features and selling their phones in the name of innovation and developments. I can understand that a phone that was manufactured 5 years before had lesser features than the latest model but I have no reason to believe that a company offers a new feature almost every month. It's only a change here and there and nothing else. Having said that, I change my phone every year for different reasons.

5. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't always buy a new phone anytime a new model is out in the market. That's is not a good thing to do believe me because should one keep it up, it's a huge expenses. What I normally do is change my phone in every 2-3 years interval. I will sell the old one I have and complete the cash I made from it and buy a trending one at the time.

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    lol, yeah, it's called Marketing! :D Once in a while they do make some changes to the phones and release them as if they are a new version with the price inflated. Those who always buy the latest rush to buy haha, it's just how it goes.

7. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I guess unless I am working in a mobile phone company and my job is to test out all the new models, otherwise I will definitely not do that no matter how rich I am. I guess everyone values different things. Some might be willing to spend on branded handbags or shoes, whereas some like to use the latest technology. I just started to get a smart phone last year, and before that I had been using the basic phone for more than 7 years.

8. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    That is true, most people are buying new cell phones just because it is a new model, I am not doing this. I prefer my old phone and what really matters to me is as my cellphone to be functional to make and receive calls.

9. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    I am not really into new models of phones. I only buy a phone when I really need to. My mother taught me to buy what I only need and avoid buying things that I don't necessarily need. In short, needs before wants. My current phone right now is an Iphone 5s. And that model came out years ago. I will only buy a phone whenever it is broken or lost.

10. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    The truth is that there are some people who are gadgets freaks, I have seen some with such buying habits when it comes to phones. Although their addiction is with a particular brand. This guy is attached so much to Samsung phone products, any moment a product hits the market, no Jupiter would prevent him from buying it. He quite rich anyways, so he can always afford that kind of spending habit.

11. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Old school @wallet@wallet, that's exactly what my father said with regards to numerous phone brands being pumped into the market. All that matters to him is the ability of his phone to receive calls, make calls, and send messages as well as receive. Other perks in the phones doesn't interest him, to use ordinary Facebook is a big deal for him.

12. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Before I think of getting a new phone whether it's a new brand or old brand as long as it's still a new non-used product, the one which I'm currently using must be in bad condition or at least I'm satisfied with it and willing to drop it or dash it out, and buy a new one. I think my most used phone has lasted 5 years in my possession before it became very faulty and I had to drop it.

13. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have this habit. I remember spending a lot of time and money getting new phones. And it made things a bit boring. You can see that phone such as that it can be really exhausting. You have to spend the resources the right way. And on that note it really makes me wonder if the habit is easy to let go of. I am sure there are many shopoholic people who have this habit. And it is hard for them to get rid of it.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You hit the nail right on its head. Actually it's nothing but marketing art that makes consumers feel that if they don't buy the latest model they would miss something crucial in their life. The fact is if the companies do not adapt these techniques their sale would not touch even half what they are doing now. This is kind of unethical but as long as the people have money to spend the companies will keep doing this.

15. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Personally I wouldn't go out to immediately buy a new phone just because it is brand new. I would consider looking into the features of the other phone before making a final purchase. Maybe even wait until your phone starts acting up before making any new updates, or wait until the new phone is on sale.

16. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    So what you are trying to say is that as long as the current phone you are making use of never spoil, you ain't changing it? Damn bro, you are definitely going to make phone companies go bankruptcy should everyone have such buying mentality when it comes to changing their phones :p, I mean no disrespect but that's really a tough decision from you.

17. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, no offense taken you don't have to apologize for anything. It's simply how I was brought up by my ever loving parents. I was taught never to misuse or spend when I still have whatever I want to spend on in a good condition. As long as the current one still satisfy my needs, there is no point in desiring to change it.

18. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    It's really a good way to train one's spending life because I believe that on the long run, it only benefits the person for not being too wasteful in spending when he or she was supposed to save or probably use the money for another useful and important agenda.