Buying Almost Outdated Tech

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Jul 15, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm planning on buying a cheap laptop soon that's right around the average price of around $300 since I really need one right now and it's all I could afford at the moment.

The only problem is that I think the hardware I could get with that amount of money is probably going to be on the lower end and will probably be outdated soon such as the fact that it will probably only have 2gb of ram.

However, I only need it for 3 programs, specifically, Photoshop, after effects, and a music production software, and I don't really need the latest and greatest so I'm hoping this might be enough if I only stick with older versions of the software.

What do you guys think, would it be wise for me to buy a $300 laptop for the basic graphic use I need it for?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    2GB of RAM is unacceptable for a non-Chromebook laptop. Windows 8.1 and 10 will run all right on 2GB of RAM, but you're going to deal with frustrating slowdowns using the programs you've specifically mentioned. I know for a fact that you can find dozens of laptops with decent-ish processors and 4GB of RAM for around $250, so you shouldn't settle for a lower amount of RAM. Don't buy almost outdated tech as far as laptops are concerned because the performance shortcomings will become more noticeable at a faster pace.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just happened to see this earlier @DrRipley@DrRipley. It's the same price you mentioned, and seems as if it might be a lot more suitable for your purposes. I've purchased from them in the past, and have never had an issue with anything I've bought from them. If nothing else, it's something to consider. Apparently there are laptops out there in this price range. If I had the money, I'd buy it.