Buying An Aircon Of Just The Right Capacity

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Alexandoy • Apr 25, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying an air conditioner, you have to compute the capacity needed for the particular area. As an actual example, when we were looking for a new air conditioning unit, the window type was offered to us which was just 0.9 HP (horse power). My wife immediately agreed because the salesman focused on the electric consumption in his sales talk. Naturally the 0.9 HP consumes less than the 1 HP unit. However, based on the computation I made, we need at least 1 HP even for a window type. The 0.9 HP may not be able to properly cool our bedroom. And I was right on that. When we had bought and installed the 1 HP, it was pretty good.

2. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Right, cheaper isn't always better. You have to factor in what qualities would give the buyer the best bargain for the money. However, though, I don't always operate on that logic. It depends on how much I value quality for a particular item. For instance, I don't mind buying 1 dollar razors, even though I know the best ones are more.

3. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree with you. For lower power air-con, you might need to turn the temperature lower in order to get the room cooler, which in return you might pay more for the electricity bill. When buying electrical appliance and some other products, we really need to think of long term to be able to save more.

4. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    In the US its all about how many BTUs(british thermal unit) you will need for the size of the room you need to cool. So choosing a air conditioner that has a low BTU could really leave you hot and flustered,and you must measure the square footage of the area or room size. As the BTU size increases so does the weight,size,and cost of the air conditioner,so there is usually a table you can find to calculate this.

#4Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017