Buying An Ice Cream Maker Or Just Buying Ice Cream In Stores?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by AutumnFall • Aug 20, 2015.

1. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    Obviously, ice cream markers are expensive but do you think they are worth the purchase instead of constantly buying ice cream at supermarkets or even restaurants? I feel real strongly about buying an ice cream maker so I could save money but something in the back of my mind is saying no to this.

Any thoughts? What does everyone else think?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on how often you eat ice cream to make it worth your while. I can see if a family has children and lots of parties then it would be useful, but otherwise I can't see it saving that much money if you only eat it once a week. In addition buying all the ingredients can be costly, but can be healthier if you like certain fruit combinations. As I only like chocolate, it would be cheaper for me to buy tubs on special.

3. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    It's hard to say, I guess it would depend on how offen you eat ice cream, I have thought about at one time another because I think homemade ice cream tastes the best, we used to make when we were kids but using the old ice cream makers where you would have to be turning it for a couple of hours, that we of course took turns on, but was the best ice cream. To answer your question I would say if you buy a lot of ice cream then yeah, because in the long run you would save money, but if you don't buy a lot, then maybe not.

4. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    Oh, homemade ice cream does taste the best! I eat a lot of ice cream but currently I haven't been able to buy any because I can't afford anything extra at the moment. That's why I've been thinking about putting money aside to buy an ice cream maker so I won't be faced with this dilemma. I guess it's just down to what brand name ice cream maker is the best...

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love my ice cream maker. I don't use it all that much, because right now it's just me here, but have used it more in the past. I could use the shelf space, but I will not part with it, because homemade ice cream is so yummy it's worth the extra effort.

I wouldn't buy one as a way of saving money, because as @Theo@Theo stated, the ingredients will probably cost at least as much as a carton of ice cream, especially depending upon what type and quality of ingredients you will be using. If you do buy one, I'd also recommend buying one or two good thick containers to store the ice cream in, depending on how many types you plan on making.

FYI, there are recipes on the internet for ice cream that you can make without an ice cream maker, so you could try that, and if you liked the homemade ice cream better, save up for an ice cream maker. Mine is Cuisinart, and I'm happy with it.

6. Caly

CalyNew Member

Threads:
    There are three types of cream maker: simple ice cream maker, ice cream maker with turbine (acumulation ice cream maker) and independent ice cream maker.
    Today the accumulation ice cream maker is part of the most bought ice cream makers because it is the most accessible in terms of price / quality ratio.
    Like any technical product there are several criteria to consider prior to purchasing it.
    What's nice is with a budget of about $ 40, you can already find interesting ice cream makers. Of course it will not have the quality of a professional ice cream maker but I'm sure that with good recipe, you can make excellent ice cream.

7. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    There is a middle solution between buying an ice-cream maker and buying ice cream from the store, and this is doing yourself the ice cream without the maker as @Diane Lane@Diane Lane already noted.

Here are some machine-less methods and recipes to try out:

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of making homemade ice cream. There are so many flavours you can play around with and in the long run you would save money rather than buying the good ice cream at the grocery store. Think of how creamy it would be and no preservatives, fresh fruits or real flavours and no artificial colouring.

9. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    Like purplepen88, I do really love the idea of homemade ice-cream but I think in my case, it's just easier to buy premade icecream. My favorite flavors are cookies n cream and rocky road so I think it'd just be a lot more work to go out and get the extra ingredients on top of buying the ice cream maker. I think it'd be too much hassle for me.

10. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    I would just buy ice cream from the store because I don't eat a lot of ice cream myself nor does my family. There's a health issue with eating ice cream that frequently because it'll increase chances of diabetes. I know this for fact because my dad got it and he liked sugar in general... It's really not good for you or your kids to be eating ice cream that frequently in my opinion so it really depends how you use the ice cream maker. I eat it very rarely because diabetes just runs in our family and sugar is the big enemy. I mostly try to stay away from sugar.

But there's a big plus to you buying your own ice cream maker because the ice cream you buy at the store are generally quite sweet. They add a lot of sugar which is why I eat it rarely... But if you buy your own ice cream maker, you can control the sugar levels of the ice cream which is good. I would say it would be worth it as long as you don't load sugar in that thing because your health in the long run is the most important.

11. Caly

CalyNew Member

Threads:
    Personally I love the homemade ice cream. Here are some tips that may well help ----»

- Always pour preparation (ice or sorbet) very cold in the tank of the ice cream maker or turbine.

- Once the ice cream is made, you can usually eat directly but sometimes it still lacks consistency. Pour it into a plastic box and have it in the freezer 1-2 hours.

- Get your ice cream 15-20min in advance and let it rest in the refrigerator so that it resumes its flexibility. Unlike industrial ice, homemade ice cream tends to harden!

- There are two tricks to improve the texture of the ice and make it less hard:

Add one egg white until stiff mounted to your preparation just before the ice cream maker to take (hint rather reserved for sorbets).
    Use fat products: whole milk and full cream offer more creaminess (trick reserved for ice cream).
    - Do not fill too much ice cream maker, the mixture should be able to ventilate when brewed. On cooling, the preparation takes volume.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It depends on whether your household consumes a substantial enough amount of ice cream. Personally, I only crave ice cream a few times a year and when I do I usually just get a single serve sundae at a fast food restaurant instead of buying a whole container at the supermarket. If I had a large family, however, and, and all of us were to crave ice cream regularly, then I could probably just go for an ice cream maker since that would probably come out more practical and even healthier.

13. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I think that if you have a lot of ice cream regularly, buying the ice cream maker would probably be worth it. But, if it's that you have ice cream a bit during the summer, it'll definitely be more cost-effective to just buy the ice cream in stores. If you're trying to be healthier as well, buying an ice cream maker would probably be worth it too. You can sub in normal milk and stuff with coconut milk. But it mainly depends on how much ice cream you consume.

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're looking to have some fun with it, and want to include the kids in the process, this could be a way to make ice cream while feeling more like a game.

I just remembered having seen this several years back, and being intrigued at the time. Apparently there are similar styles made by other brands, and sold on other sites, but this one has a 4/5 rating, so it might be a good one to investigate.

15. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like sweets but my king does. I prefer homemade ice cream to bought ice cream. you don't need an expensive ice cream maker. You can make your own in a ziplock bag. It tastes yummy even to me and like I said, I don't really like sweets.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would even bother buying an ice cream maker since I don't even know how to cook, so I would just rather buy ice cream. In your case, I think it would be worth it to only buy an ice cream maker if you are sure that you will be able to use it often.

17. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I know for me that it’d be much more cost-effective just to stick with store-bought ice cream. I eat it so seldom that I feel like it justifies buying the occasional pint or two of Ben & Jerry’s when it’s on sale, haha. Homemade ice cream is wonderful though, so if it’s something you and/or your family eat more often, it may be worth it to invest in an ice cream maker. As others have said, you have more control of what goes into your ice cream, so if nothing else, there’s that.

18. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    It all depends on how much ice cream you eat on a daily basis. If you are an avid ice cream consumer, then investing more now in an ice cream machine would definitely be better than spending little amounts of money which eventually stack up to be 3 times the cost of an ice cream machine at the end of the month! It all depends on you.

19. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had seen an ice cream maker and I had witnessed how to make ice cream using that. It's not easy although you have the liberty to choose the ingredients. But the preparation is laborious since you have to measure everything. And when it's done, you have to clean up the mess and all the leftover. I guess it is much convenient to just buy a gallon of ice cream than to make my own.

20. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    Thank you everyone for your advice and opinions! :) I decided that I'm just to save up for an ice cream maker and purchase ice cream but only with coupons. I do eat a lot of ice cream, which is why I thought getting an ice cream maker would make more sense than constantly buying $3-$6 ice cream cartons in supermarkets. However, since I can't afford one right now, I have to satisfy my ice cream cravings in other ways. For those who suggested I try making homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker, I will look into that as well.