Buying an older edition for a cheap price or buying a new edition which is expensive?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by 003 • Jun 6, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am thinking of buying a new running shoes. Initially, I plan to buy the latest edition. While canvassing, I saw one in Nike shop online, the previous year's version of the shoes I am supposed to buy. I was to go for the year '14 edition which has no discount at all, and quite costly. So now, I am thinking to buy the cheap one, it has almost half of the original price. If I buy it, I'd be able to save quite a good sum of money. Besides, since it's just last year, there would not be a thousand mile difference. Do you share the same thought?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Question you'd ask yourself is: do they serve the same purpose. Quite obviously they do. Save some money and buy last year's shoes. There's hardly any difference except price between them. Actually that's how companies make money from suckers. New doesn't necessarily mean better [most of the time, that is].

3. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see how there could be much of a difference in a shoe that only came out one year ago. I agree with Denis, that that's the company's way of making last years products seem so "last year", if you know what I mean. They figure the trendy consumer wouldn't be caught dead in last year's style, and would be willing to pay twice the amount to have the now look. But if you like last years model, and they look good on you and fit nicely, buy them. Then you'll have the money to spend on other things.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm the worse person when it comes to "new collections", "new editions" and stuff like that. I couldn't care less. Unless you are a millionaire and is buying from Chanel and Gucci, nobody cares or knows what's the new collection. At least everyone I know doesn't. For running shoes for example, do you plan to buy new ones ever year, or everytime a new collection comes out? Because if you don't, then these will be from last season in just a few months. So is it worth it to spend more because of that? I would certainly get last season's shoes in that situation, but that is me and my opinion!

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with what the others have said, it's just a shoe, so just go and buy the old edition unless you like the design of the new edition more. No one really notices or cares if your shoe was an old model or is a new model. The most important thing is that it fits your feet well and you feel comfortable in it.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I'd buy the older edition and save yourself the money. I run so I tend to buy running shoes often and to be honest I don't really notice a difference in the quality of the shoe from year to year, season to season, etc. If we were talking a couple years difference I would probably suggest you buy the newer model but for a one year difference I think saving money is the better idea.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really do not care about the latest edition if it is going to cost me more money than it needs to. I care more about my money than I do about style and brand names. Save your money spend it on something that will do you some good or make you some money.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it really depends. If I was going to be running or jogging in them, then I would do a bit of research. Sometimes, a new edition means better technology that can improve my running or help prevent injury. If that is the case, I would spring for the new shoes. If there is no major difference or I'm just using the shoes for walking, then I would buy the older version.

9. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a sucker for sale prices. Stores usually cut the prices of their stocks when a new item arrives so they can make the most profit from the new one. If you have compared the features of each shoe you are eyeing and saw that there's not much difference except for the new aesthetics and release date, go buy the older model. I'm sure, they will put that new up on bargain sale in the coming year. Then go buy it if you still like it.

If money is not an issue, just buy the latest, of course. The brand-conscious running friends will be green with envy seeing those nice new shoes. :)

10. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I think you should opt for the cheaper and older version, there is no reason to not save a little bit of money when buying something. Also, how different can it be? I am sure they haven't found a revolutionary new feature to add to the newer version of the shoe, and anyway companies take out a new line every year, so anything you buy now, will be older the next year. I would say save your money and stay with the older version.

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind buying an older edition. Keep in mind that shoes become old so quickly, so it won't really make much of a difference if you bought the latest edition at a high price. You just count about 2 months and you'll see newer editions again. It's just really not worth it. It's just really a matter of waiting a bit for you to be able to buy the type of shoe that you like at a cheaper price. Of course, it's a totally different story if you are very fashion conscious and you prefer being updated all the time.

12. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    Hey, if they are brand new or in really good shape and are cheaper, I say Go For It! Next years shoes will be last years shoes anyway, the cycle is always the same. As long as they serve the same purpose and are what you want, it'll be worth it. :)

13. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't mind going for the older version of certain things, but I won't do it as often if its anything technology based considering that even one generation higher can be a huge leap in specs and performance, you know? In this instance however;what is the difference really?