Buying at local markets

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Apr 4, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days we buys most our food at supermarkets and hypermarkets and we get thrilled by the 50% off promotions. So just the other day I went to a local market and guess what, their 50% off promotions in some products matched the regular prices at those markets. So the question is, what was the last time you visited a local market?

2. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I visited the local indoor market a couple weeks ago and it wasn't very good. In fact I almost paid £6 for a light bulb, for my bathroom that was £1 in the pound shop.

The weather hasn't been very good here but I do enjoy going to markets and probably would more if it was better.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Around here you have to know what to buy from the local markets to get a good deal. What I mean is that some vendors from the local market buy the goods they sell from the same sources as the supermarkets and I end up paying the same price or more. Sure, some stuff is cheaper and better but not all. And considering I have to walk and spend more time by visiting both the supermarket and local market I just buy everything from one place since it's more convenient.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This is fairly common, even in retail. In fact, JC Penney got in hot water for this actually not too long ago. If you recall a few years ago when they announced that they were doing away with sales and that all their merchandise would be simply sold at lower prices. It bombed and they had to go back to offering sales. But along the way, some customers even called them out for deceptive advertising because many of their "regular discount prices" were still more than what many other stores were selling the same things for.

Certain things like fresh herbs, and many types of peppers, as well as other produce, I refuse to buy from the big chain grocery stores, because they are priced way higher than what I could get at a local farmers market. They want like $5 a piece for those little packets of fresh herbs. That's insane spending like $20 on a few freaking herbs, I could buy them as potted plants at Lowe's for that cost and just grow my own. I freaked out one time when I grabbed a small head of radicchio and found out it cost almost $6 at the register. I could have got that for like $1 at the farmers market.

5. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with this, don't just buy everything because somethings are way more expensive. I think it has to do with the suppliers, some suppliers don't manage to sell their goods to big distribution, but they manage to a local market at a good price for the consumer. And the quality is far superior!