Buying Beauty Supplies At Thrift Stores

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Avocadogirl • May 31, 2015.

?

Would you buy beauty supplies or underwear at a thrift store?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. Avocadogirl

AvocadogirlNew Member

Threads:
    Every time I go to a thrift store, I see an area full of lotion, perfume, makeup, and other beauty supplies. Personally, this disgusts me. I don't know how long those have been sitting there. Have they been used, and if so, by whom? What is in it? I feel like they would all be expired and full of germs. I am far from a germaphobe, but I can't stand the idea of using those supplies. Even worse to me is the bras, socks, and even underwear that I see. I am certain that each item has been cleansed thoroughly before being donated, but I would never be able to wear those items without thinking that I'm not the first one. Am I just being paranoid? Would you buy underwear or beauty supplies from a thrift store?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm thrift stores usually sell used clothes, so I would stay away from the beauty stuff. I buy clothes from thrift shops all the time, but I stay away from those that I will use and leave on my skin. Also, I do not buy underwear/swimsuit from thrift stores. I guess there are just some lines that I will not cross.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve got nothing against thrift stores, and I’d happily buy clothes from there… but cosmetics, underwear, or swimwear? No sirree. I’d even be wary of shoes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen cosmetics or beauty supplies at a thrift shop, actually. It definitely wouldn’t tempt me, though; you don’t know where that stuff has been, and there’s no real way to sterilize it.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thrift stores as in goodwill or charity stores cannot sell anything that has been opened, so it has to be sealed before it can be sold. My mum works in one and they have to throw out many things that may not have been sealed. Any that do sell these items are probably breaking the law and risk a law suit.

As for underwear, I do donate bras that have worn once or twice, but they were designer bras so I didn't know what else to do with them. I would never donate anything that was really old.

5. lexingtonslade

lexingtonsladeNew Member

Threads:
    I would never purchase cosmetics or under clothes from a thrift store such as Goodwill or Salvation Army. That's just unsanitary! Especially for cosmetics. And you're right, OP, cosmetics have an expiration date on them for a reason. Who knows how long those have been sitting there.

There is something cosmetic like that I would check out at thrift stores and that old powder compacts. The type that were made between 1900 to roughly 1975. They will probably (hopefully) not have the powder in them and the designs on the outside of the compacts can be really beautiful.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm already skeptical enough when just buying regular clothes at a thrift store so no, I personally wouldn't buy something that's a lot more intimate like beauty products or underwear. I understand that I could try and sanitize them and it would be fairly clean after that, but it's just hard for me to get over the fact that it's used so I tend to lean towards just buying something brand new even if it means I have to go with a cheaper brand, because with that I could at least ensure that my product is untouched even if it's of a lower quality.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's an export overrun store just a few blocks from my workplace. They sell large bottles of shampoo, body scrub and perfumes for $2 or less. I've tried a few of the products sold there and though the results weren't as stellar as one would have hoped, I wasn't disappointed either. By that I mean, the smell was good but it's not strong enough to last more than 8 hours. On one hand, nothing untoward happened to my skin. I still got to clean up nicely. As for underwear, as long as it's a surplus stock and not used by other people before, then I have no qualms buying one from a thrift store.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the situation. A cosmetics company in Florida went out of business and donated boxes of brand new cosmetics to Goodwill. Goodwill was selling new, sealed lipsticks at 4 for $1. Why would I turn that down?
    I bought 12 lipsticks for $3 and they were all brand new. I see no reason not to buy beauty products at a thrift store when something like that happens.

9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have seen the bottles of lotion at thrift stores but I wouldn't buy from there. I feel the same way when it comes to underwear. I just can't bring myself to do it. I have bought slips from the thrift store to have underneath my skirts. Other than that I'm buying my underwear brand new.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as the perfume or cosmetic is sealed then I will buy them, but if it's not then no. Although I haven't come across a used make-up item in the thrift stores that I went to, but in Ebay, I once saw used lipstick being sold and it was bought as well, because I was observing if someone will buy it.

11. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I feel the same way. It concerns me that they could've been tampered with so I wouldn't want to purchase anything of that sort from a thrift store. I often see them, and they're not even reduced that much, as well. I feel that considering there isn't really much of a saving, I'd much rather put my health first and not risk having something that could've been tampered with. I'm also the same with underwear and socks from places like that. Other clothes I don't mind so much but I won't go there.